• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield watch

ncfan

5 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

There's roughly a 50% bust rate on QB's in the 1st round, I think that stat is lost on people, every year a player, or players are taken top 10 and flame out early. 

Just look at Baker's class, for all the poo he gets, Darnold, and Rosen who were consensus number one QB's on most boards are terrible, whereas Baker who was viewed as the 3rd is the better of the three. Keep in mind Josh Allen, and Lamar Jackson <<< this was the same class for 2018, 5 QB's in the first round.

The year before in 2017 was Watson, Mahomes (Trubisky drafted before both).

Those were some good QB years overall, but history shows it's hard to get one so you have to swing when you have an opportunity, it's why I wanted Fields even IF / THOUGH we traded for Sam, as Sam was not a proven commodity, then picking up the 5th year, Matt's a freaking idiot. 

Yea that would be great, so instead of wasting our 2nd round pick, 4th rounder, and 6th rounder on a QB last season, we could have wasted our first on a QB who was just as shitty last season. That is not good team building. 

Just to recap a 1st,2nd,4th,and 6th and still no answer at QB.....yea thanks but no thanks. 

Edited by PootieNunu

I'm not sure what to think of Baker personally.

Many people HATED Philip Rivers for years....then found out everyone who ever played with or against him loved him.

I knew him (in passing) and had spoken to him quite a few times, super super nice guy...to anyone, except the other team on Saturday or Sunday.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Baker played with a separated shoulder all season.

The narrative that his teammates don't like him is asinine. His teammates like him just fine. All the "buzz" about the rift between Baker and the team is twitter bullshit and hot take artists that stir up bullshit for clicks:

The franchise was a factory of sadness before he got there. 

Now, do I think he will make us good enough to win the super bowl?

No.

Do I think he's good enough to take us to the postseason?

Probably.

Is the pricetag Cleveland wants for him worth it for a one year rental?

No.

Baker isn't anywhere near as bad as people on here seem to be making him out to be. He had a down year because he was injured. He's a perfectly fine Starting QB in the NFL and has shown he can lead a team to the playoffs. I don't want him though because of how desperate Rhule seems to be in all of this and I'm afraid we will overpay when we in fact have all the leverage in the world right now. 

To be fair, last year wasn't his only bad year. He's been an every other year player. 

That's probably the biggest reason why everyone is steering clear. He's insanely inconsistent. Even by gunslinger standards. 

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

I'm not sure what to think of Baker personally.

Many people HATED Philip Rivers for years....then found out everyone who ever played with or against him loved him.

I knew him (in passing) and had spoken to him quite a few times, super super nice guy...to anyone, except the other team on Saturday or Sunday.

I think people hated Rivers because he was a trash talking QB. 

I would question why any Panthers fan would hate that because Cam was also a trash talking guy. He was fantastic at it.

• Pie 5

5 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

The same way that competent QB was hitting OBJ up in Cleveland. 

Stop building Baker up to be something he is not, he is a marginal upgrade over Sam.

Baker would commit career suicide here by coming in and throwing 14-15tds with 9-10 ints for the season. 

He played just fine when he was healthy in 2020. 26 TDs 8 INTs 63% completion and took the Browns to the playoffs for the first time in forever.  Hell even last year's number where better than Darnold has ever shown and he did that with one shoulder for part of the year.  

If he is a "marginal" upgrade over Sam he will commit career suicide anywhere he goes.  He is a middle of the pack QB with some upside if he can get his attitude under control.  Also OBJ is on his 3rd team by age 29.  He is a good WR, but let's not act like he wasn't part of the problem. 

4 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Baker played with a separated shoulder all season.

The narrative that his teammates don't like him is asinine. His teammates like him just fine. All the "buzz" about the rift between Baker and the team is twitter bullshit and hot take artists that stir up bullshit for clicks:

The franchise was a factory of sadness before he got there. 

Now, do I think he will make us good enough to win the super bowl?

No.

Do I think he's good enough to take us to the postseason?

Probably.

Is the pricetag Cleveland wants for him worth it for a one year rental?

No.

Baker isn't anywhere near as bad as people on here seem to be making him out to be. He had a down year because he was injured. He's a perfectly fine Starting QB in the NFL and has shown he can lead a team to the playoffs. I don't want him though because of how desperate Rhule seems to be in all of this and I'm afraid we will overpay when we in fact have all the leverage in the world right now. 

You think more highly of him than I do. I dont think Baker is anywhere near good enough to take this HC to the post-season. His browns team was loaded with super bowl quality talent, all they needed was a real QB. 

5 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Yea that would be great, so instead of wasting our 2nd round pick, 4th rounder, and 6th rounder on a QB last season, we could have wasted our first on a QB who was just as shitty last season. That is not good team building. 

Just to recap a 1st,2nd,4th,and 6th and still no answer at QB.....yea thanks but no thanks. 

Who did you want in 2020 and 2021?

1 minute ago, PootieNunu said:

You think more highly of him than I do. I dont think Baker is anywhere near good enough to take this HC to the post-season. His browns team was loaded with super bowl quality talent, all they needed was a real QB. 

Baker is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Darnold. Darnold is the worst starting QB in the NFL. Baker is around 15-18.

You can get to the playoffs with that kind of QB. Baker's injury plagued season last year was as good as Darnold's BEST season in NY.

The team would be better with Baker.

We just probably wouldn't be Super Bowl Caliber with him. 

Best case scenario for us would be to trade Baker for Sam Straight up.

2 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Exactly.  If Baker had any promise Cleveland would not have sold the farm for Watson. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

He played just fine when he was healthy in 2020. 26 TDs 8 INTs 63% completion and took the Browns to the playoffs for the first time in forever.  Hell even last year's number where better than Darnold has ever shown and he did that with one shoulder for part of the year.  

If he is a "marginal" upgrade over Sam he will commit career suicide anywhere he goes.  He is a middle of the pack QB with some upside if he can get his attitude under control.  Also OBJ is on his 3rd team by age 29.  He is a good WR, but let's not act like he wasn't part of the problem. 

His roster and coaching was also significantly better in Cleveland. He is not bringing the rest of his team with him, all we get is Baker.

This is a guy whose team decided to trade away the farm to replace him after picking him #1 overall, he is damaged goods. I trust his own teams evaluation of him over some random guys on the internet. 

I will double down, if we trade for baker he does not break 20 td passes and he throws for double digit ints. 

29 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I get that mindset but my argument is that does absolutely nothing for the long term health of this franchise.  Its yet another reactive move by this front office.  Baker on a one year deal doesnt do poo for us

If Baker comes in and plays like he did the year before last, you have to seriously consider signing him to a long term deal and making him our franchise QB.  Hes got the talent to take a middling team to the playoffs. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

To be fair, last year wasn't his only bad year. He's been an every other year player. 

That's probably the biggest reason why everyone is steering clear. He's insanely inconsistent. Even by gunslinger standards. 

Fair point.  He looked good his rookie year with Hugh as his coach (I think).  Had a sophomore slump where he threw way too many INTS but also lost his coach midseason (not 100% on the year this happened going on memory).  Got their new coach in 2020 and looked great then got hurt last year and still was ok..

2 minutes ago, joemac said:

If Baker comes in and plays like he did the year before last, you have to seriously consider signing him to a long term deal and making him our franchise QB.  Hes got the talent to take a middling team to the playoffs. 

This would be the fuging worse case scenario. We dont need baker at all, much less on a long term deal.

He does not have the talent to carry a middling team to the playoffs, his browns team was loaded with talent. 

Edited by PootieNunu
  • Pie 1