• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Observer article: Panthers have a core under 25 they can win with and build around

w280sax

16 hours ago, hepcat said:

he doesn't know how to stop the run and literally nothing has changed in that regard

I think that you and Scot are missing the biggest problem: third down efficiency. If we can be more consistent on third downs, our D would be amazing.

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I think that you and Scot are missing the biggest problem: third down efficiency. If we can be more consistent on third downs, our D would be amazing.

they were getting blasted on 3rd and short last year by 1v1 blocking schemes in the running game. The defense is small and weak on the edges. They didn't add any big run blocking DE's this offseason so I expect nothing to change in that regard. This team is built to grab an early lead and force opponents to pass so they can rush the hell out of you. It's not a great winning formula when Sam Doofus is your QB. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

This is an important approach to winning the war of attrition by seasons end.  The quality could be better on the oline and the qb group is a serious unknown. 

The dline is a serious concern of mine and I'm still not sold on Burns.  I'm my opinion he's a 3-4 outside linebacker that sucks against the run. But we shall see.

Keep in mind that guys like Michael Strahan played pretty darn well at 243 lbs.  It isn't his size but the technique he is using which is a 1 gap DE going all out for the QB. If he played more of read and react where he played the run first and then the pass he would be more solid. But that requires the back 7 to hold up and usually it didn't.

We have brought in several guys to compete and have guys like Brown, Roy, Nixon, Hoskins, laonnidis and some rookies in the middle and Burns, Matos, Haynes, Herron on the edges along with rookies again. Then mix in guys like Luvu who are often blitzing and we have some decent players. We just need a good scheme and so far the reports from Snow about  Pasqualoni seem very positive. Should get a little better look when minicamp starts.

5 hours ago, NJPanthers12 said:

This is the worst spot they can be in. Filling the roster with good young talent and wasting their prime and cheap contracts on years where they have zero quarterback. These players will continue to grow and be solid players causing the panthers to be bad but not bad enough to be in position to draft their franchise qb.

This franchise is a disaster and our only saving grace is that the wonder twins of Rhule and darnold continue their incompetence and we just have an all time bad season this year. If anyone can pull that off, I truly believe It’s Rhule and darnold.

What is more likely to happen is Rhule and darnold know they are playing for their jobs and careers and they win a few meaningless games putting us just out of position to get the next franchise qb.

Pray to all the football gods that Corral is the one!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

We had the 9th best 3rd down efficiency at 37.8%,  but the 19th on 4th down.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:39 PM, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, that's an extremely difficult thing to judge when they're not in pads.

If Haynes, Ioannidis and Burns are in the game. I could create a running hole blocking. Ioannidis and Haynes are extremely weak against the run. The holes at practice w/o pads were massive. I know that's w/o pads, but the gap discipline was pathetic. The line coach was def getting on them.

• Beer 1

Have to wait until preseason. When the team has looked bad in preseason it's carried over to the regular season.

Right now, I have them winning 2 games. Split with Atlanta since they are just as terrible, and then another win somewhere. Maybe that Detroit game.

QB is not NFL-quality, none of the backups are either.

OLine is a complete work in progress.

We haven't stopped the run consistently in at least 5 seasons.

Donte is a liability on defense minus his 1 factor of speed. He's not a tackler. I keep seeing Gamble hopelessly riding Alge Crumpler's back as he rambled into the end zone for a game winner when I watch Donte attempt tackles. 

There are bright spots, and there are talented players. They aren't there yet though, and there are several critical trouble spots that are going to be treacherous all season long in my opinion.

I agree we have a great young core. The problem is we don't have the most important position in football figured out and soon that great young core is going to need to get paid. 

Also Matt Rhule will never be a superbowl winning coach so we are wasting time with him 

• Beer 1

On 6/9/2022 at 7:07 PM, Shocker said:

If QB gets fixed we don’t have many weaknesses.  Of course the Browns have been trying to fix QB forever and haven’t so not an easy situation 

browns have never done anything right. the best thing they ever did was move to baltimore and change their name. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

This idea that we are small up front doesn't add up.  Brown is 6-5 and 320. Iannidis is 305, McCall is 335,  Roy is 330. Hoskins is the lightest at 280. So from a weight point we are plenty big. The problem was technique which is why we have a new D line coach.

Edited by panthers55

Everyone points out are DEs are too light and not very good against the run. Which is partly true. We aren't lighter than most teams at DE but you can't sell out against the pass every down and play the run first. If our back end does well it allows the line and linebackers to focus on the run first rather than going all out on blitzing and if you don't get there the secondary is exposed for a big gain.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

This idea that we are small up front doesn't add up.  Brown is 6-5 and 320. Iannidis is 305, McCall is 335,  Roy is 330. Hoskins is the lightest at 280. So from a weight point we are plenty big. The problem was technique which is why we have a new D line coach.

McCall, Roy and Hoskins are not NFL quality players that should get any sort of playing time. LOL/Geez for even bringing them up....

Edited by Jared Patterson

35 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

McCall, Roy and Hoskins are not NFL quality players that should get any sort of playing time. LOL/Geez for even bringing them up....

It depends on how they play in our system with the other guys we have on the line.  I was pointing out that size wasn't the issue technique was. Are you debating that or saying they would suck anytime even as depth or something else???