• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker may be happening today.

Zod

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Sources keep reporting that there is disagreement in the building on Baker. Some want him and some don't. I think the question is who is pro-Baker and who is anti-Baker? If we do or don't get him, it's not really going to matter. It's just a matter of trying to discern who has the most stroke on the personnel moves(and if it has actually changed). Also speculating on motivations for the move. Even if we knew who was more pro or anti Baker, it wouldn't come close to the complete picture. 

It's the offseason, so it's just conversation fodder, basically. It's not going to mean anything until after next season is over anyway. Once we know the actual results of whatever happens.

half baked help GIF

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Sources keep reporting that there is disagreement in the building on Baker. Some want him and some don't. I think the question is who is pro-Baker and who is anti-Baker? If we do or don't get him, it's not really going to matter. It's just a matter of trying to discern who has the most stroke on the personnel moves(and if it has actually changed). Also speculating on motivations for the move. Even if we knew who was more pro or anti Baker, it wouldn't come close to the complete picture. 

It's the offseason, so it's just conversation fodder, basically. It's not going to mean anything until after next season is over anyway. Once we know the actual results of whatever happens.

You know with your posting (and you have proven to provide backed content).. you have got me thinking.... It's very possible that Rhule doesnt want a toxic personality like Baker in his locker room. Emotions and concerns around being fired aside, Rhule knows a divided locker room would expedite his firing. Right now the one thing he has going for room is a fully supportive locker room.... he knows that Baker could fug that up.

It might be Tepper behind this whole thing...

Not sure what the purpose of securing Baker would be other than getting rid of Darnold. Is Baker that much better of a mentor to Corral than Garoppolo and Darnold? Does the team believe that they can push for the playoffs this season if it's Baker at the helm?

So many questions. 😧

• Beer 1

36 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but he was also the "spray and pray" at QB guy, so it doesn't necessarily NOT fit. Remember that we almost took two QB's in the draft. 

My guess is that Fitterer views this as a situation where having multiple shots at a QB increases the chances of getting a hit. That is if he indeed is the primary guy pushing for Baker.

Agreed.  And I agree with him in principle.  QB is the most critical position on the field, and I think its a mistake to put all your eggs in one basket until you know how good your qb is.  I thought we made a huge mistake last year not drafting Fields or Jones last year.  Shouldn't have put all our eggs in Sam Darnold's basket. 

I am not enamored with Mayfield, but if we have two potential qb's in the fold and we get rid of Darnold and much of his cap hit, then we will be in a better situation than we were last season.   

Edited by Davidson Deac II

7 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

Tomatoe Tomatta

Possibly. I don't mind just watching a moderately more competent QB at this point. The odds are we are going to be pretty bad in 2022, so at least some level of intrigue would make the games watchable for a while.

But, I would say the same about Corral starting, as well.

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

You know with your posting (and you have proven to provide backed content).. you have got me thinking.... It's very possible that Rhule doesnt want a toxic personality like Baker in his locker room. Emotions and concerns around being fired aside, Rhule knows a divided locker room would expedite his firing. Right now the one thing he has going for room is a fully supportive locker room.... he knows that Baker could fug that up.

It might be Tepper behind this whole thing...

It's possible. The rumors were that Cam was forced on Rhule last year, as well. He definitely acted as if that was the case. But we also know that he ended up liking Cam, supposedly.

It may not be that he is as concerned about a "toxic personality" as much as he is concerned about someone that is a big personality and might have more credibility with his younger players. After all, Rhule is an EXTREMELY inexperienced NFL coach with an extremely track record so far.

Imagine if you get a couple of big personality shrewd veterans that can pretty easily see through his BS and not be as subservient. That might sour the players on him even without being "toxic."

4 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Agreed.  And I agree with him.  QB is the most critical position on the field, and I think its a mistake to put all your eggs in one basket until you know how good your qb is.  I thought we made a huge mistake last year not drafting Fields or Jones last year.  Shouldn't have put all our eggs in Sam Darnold's basket. 

I am not enamored with Mayfield, but if we have two potential qb's in the fold and we get rid of Darnold and much of his cap hit, then we will be in a better situation than we were last season.   

I wouldn't be upset at Baker and Corral heading into the season. At least we have two chances to be hopeful about the future, even as fleeting and/or foolhardy as those hopes might be. 

I just don't want to see another down of Sam Darnold football. He completely ruins the Panthers experience. 

• Pie 3