• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker Mayfield is a Carolina Panther

uncfan888

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

This thread is going to be fun to bump in November. lol

The thing is, I don't think anyone is saying he is going to be great or an elite QB.  People are happy because we traded for an mid-level starting QB and gave up very little to acquire him.  I am more excited about how little it cost/how easy it will be to move on from him if it fails.  I just find it funny that people are all worked up over $5 million and a conditional 5th round pick....  It was a smart trade by our FO IMO.  

• Pie 3

Just now, philit99 said:

Your talking about playing for the Browns, those stats are close to Amazing.

The Browns have had one of the better rosters in the NFL during the time span Baker was in Clev. 

not winning falls on the QB and coach. 

31 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

Nah, its just not the plan you want. They got Baker to replace Sam. The team believes in the OLine talent they brought in and they believe in this defense. If he plays well this year then good, we can try and extend him and keep it rolling. If not you can cut bait and move on to Corral and potentially draft one next year if it falls that way ( it is on record we will be getting new QBs in the door every year ).

This is a plan to not force yourself to play a 3rd round rookie. If Matt beats these other guys out in camp I am sure he will start. You have to remember Fitt was there when they started rookie Wilson over Flynn who they had just paid a bunch of money to start. I think its just people on here who are so caught up with HAVING to see what Corral looks like as the starter, when as a team they are just looking at it as can we get a QB we can win with. They will not cry over the 3rd round pick if Baker pans out and they won't cry over the 5th if he doesn't. 

Yes! The PLAN, and always has been, is to WIN. They owe that to every Panthers player and fan. I don't believe they sit around, as mrcompletely does, and trade what ifs. That's totally unproductive. Going with the flow is more than an 80's meme. One step at a time and this trade was a gold mine. Baker Mayfield is not a rehab project no matter how you view his skills. He'll either cut it or he won't just like every other player. People saw Cam and Jake as "cocky" but it was more that they believed in themselves and that they could lift the team up and IMO Baker has that same cockiness and I like it. It was depressing that we were going into training camp with Darnold, Walker and a rookie (although a rookie that I like). There's now an excitement in the air and I can't wait for real football.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

The Browns have had one of the better rosters in the NFL during the time span Baker was in Clev. 

Hugh Jackson and Kitchens definitely weren't the right coaches.  He seemed to start clicking his 3rd year with a decent coach (not sure we have that...) and last year is hard to judge how much of an impact his injury had his following year.  Is he the answer? Probably not.  But there is still a bit of a question mark and we got him for dirt cheap.  At worst he has shown he can plan the position with the right team around him (2020 season).  

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

I keep seeing that, but have my doubts. We will see now I guess. 

12 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The thing is, I don't think anyone is saying he is going to be great or an elite QB.  People are happy because we traded for an mid-level starting QB and gave up very little to acquire him.  I am more excited about how little it cost/how easy it will be to move on from him if it fails.  I just find it funny that people are all worked up over $5 million and a conditional 5th round pick....  It was a smart trade by our FO IMO.  

This is the F'n point.. Nobody is saying this going to work or we're getting the next Mahomes.. Ppl are just happy that 

1. This was a plan they were going to do  whether the fans like it or not.. Atleast they didn't screw the future by doing it..

2. You couldn't go into the season doing nothing and handling Sam the keys again.. And look at the rest of the roster and say we care about winning..

3. Atleast they are trying something instead of faking it.. It might not be the best swing at the plate but Atleast they are taking swings .

4. If it doesn't work you fire the coach get rid of the bums and in the same position either way.. Atleast Rhule is screwing the future up on his way out.. 

Edited by WOW!!
  • Pie 1

43 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

*Good trade for an average starting QB

-Huddle Posters- Bullshit franchise doesn't know what it's doing!  Stop with the Baker dick riding you sunshiners!  We are so screwed!!!  He is either going to win too many games or suck!  He is average at best but as good as Darnold!

Gotta love this place...

Haters gonna hate.

It's pretty simple ... Baker is WAY better than Corral is (right now). If you run Corral out there and you damage him ... that's it for him. He's toast. Everyone who wanted Malik here wanted him to sit ... so what's so bad about Corral sitting? You start a rookie when you have NO other option. We have one in Sam ... but oddly enough, he IS almost like no option, lol. So Corral could've started and hopefully not been damaged.

But the team didn't want the year to go down like that. So they bring in a guy for ONE YEAR who is better than Sam is. He could give us about 9 wins, or he could give us worse. But the thing is, it lets Corral sit for ONE YEAR and at least build up some "damage protection", and it's better than seeing Sam again.

So what if Baker is great? That's a problem EVERY GM in the league would LOVE to have. A great QB with a promising rookie QB behind him. You hold all the cards in that situation. What if Baker sucks? Uh, we're the Panthers ... we always suck. Corral would've been no better, and Sam would've been worse than Baker.

It's just one season. It's just a 5th Rounder. It's hardly any money. Corral IS STILL HERE. Baker gets people talking, gets the media talking, gives us a fire under center not seen since Cam, and is our best QB on the roster (right now).

The chicken littles on here are freaking out for no reason. Either Corral will be your starter next year ... or Baker will play good enough to earn that spot too. It's a win win.

• Pie 3

27 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Hugh Jackson and Kitchens definitely weren't the right coaches.  He seemed to start clicking his 3rd year with a decent coach (not sure we have that...) and last year is hard to judge how much of an impact his injury had his following year.  Is he the answer? Probably not.  But there is still a bit of a question mark and we got him for dirt cheap.  At worst he has shown he can plan the position with the right team around him (2020 season).  

His OC's were Todd Haley, Kitchens, Todd Monken, and Alex Van Pelt. 4OC's in 4 years.  His HCs were Jackson, Kitchens and Stefanski. 

The "shlt on everything" crowd loves to talk about how important coaching is and then ignores it when it doesn't suit their narrative. 

I didn't want this trade and railed against it.  But he's our QB now.  He has an excellent deep ball and some grit.  Combine his deep ball accuracy with Macadoo's west coast O, DJ, Robbie, a healthy Marshall, and our new line...it just seems likely the O will improve, possibly substantially.  

There's just hateful people out that that have to shlt on everything.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, poundaway said:

His OC's were Todd Haley, Kitchens, Todd Monken, and Alex Van Pelt. 4OC's in 4 years.  His HCs were Jackson, Kitchens and Stefanski. 

The "shlt on everything" crowd loves to talk about how important coaching is and then ignores it when it doesn't suit their narrative. 

I didn't want this trade and railed against it.  But he's our QB now.  He has an excellent deep ball and some grit.  Combine his deep ball accuracy with Macadoo's west coast O, DJ, Robbie, a healthy Marshall, and our new line...it just seems likely the O will improve, possibly substantially.  

There's just hateful people out that that have to shlt on everything.

Not sure how Baker's deep ball is going to work in a WCO..

edited to add that WCO sucks and is hella boring

Edited by Tommy Jone

3 minutes ago, Tommy Jone said:

Not sure how Baker's deep ball is going to work in a WCO..

edited to add that WCO sucks and is hella boring

WCO still employs a deep ball. Maybe not as frequently as a Coryell but it's there.

Personally, I used to not be a big fan of WCOs but I've warmed to them over the years. When you saw how effective Sean Payton's offense was, it became pretty hard to hate.

In the end, I honestly don't care that much either way as long as we win.