• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mayfield clips

Mr. Scot

He's Sam Darnold II.  Maybe he finally puts it together, he's got all the incentive in the world to do so and a HUGE chip on his shoulder.  I will say there is at least more good tape on Baker than on Sam.  Full disclosure, I'm not one of those who hold last year against Baker.  He should have tapped out, and didn't.

16 minutes ago, BrianS said:

He's Sam Darnold II.  Maybe he finally puts it together, he's got all the incentive in the world to do so and a HUGE chip on his shoulder.  I will say there is at least more good tape on Baker than on Sam.  Full disclosure, I'm not one of those who hold last year against Baker.  He should have tapped out, and didn't.

I think he's better than that.

I remember watching a game where he and Lamar Jackson duked it out to the the bitter end. He played really well in that game.

I'm certainly not a huge fan, but I don't think he's bad.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Someone try to make a highlight reel of Panthers QB throws from the last 4 years that's 2 minutes long.

I don't understand the negativity. He's an improvement over what we have. We didn't give up an arm and a leg to get him.

Fair point...

• Pie 1

Took some time to look up some other clips of Mayfield for analysis, both positive and negative.

What I saw:

First off, his physical tools are on par with anybody, arm strength in particular; Mayfield can sling it, he can zip it, and he can run it, all very effectively; and his accuracy looks to be above average...

You see an awful lot of Brett Favre in him (both the good and the bad), especially when you watch big games, but I think overall he might be a little more accurate than Favre...

Also like Favre, Juevos Grandes for certain; he seems to fear nothing and trusts in himself thoroughly; again though, as it was with Favre, that can come back to bite him sometimes...

Passing mechanics are generally on point, even throwing on the run; he does throw on the run a fair amount but does a better job setting his feet than Darnold when he doesn't...

Regarding his interceptions: The majority seem to be overthrows, but honestly those don't concern me as much as the several I saw where he seemed to have just not seen the defender at all; that, unfortunately, reminds me of Darnold...

There were also miscommunications, balls he shouldn't have thrown, etc; overall I'd say a decent balance of forgivable and unforgivable, but more of the unforgivable variety than I would have liked...

And one kinda weird thing: he double (and triple, and quadruple) clutches as much as (possibly more than) any quarterback I've ever watched; saw this happen on a boatload of plays...

Overall? Yeah, he's good, but occasionally like his passes, a little undisciplined. That part of his game needs work.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, BrianS said:

That comparison makes no sense.  Sam Darnold's best season as a pro is Baker's worst season as a pro.  Sam would have to have a breakout year just to match one of Baker's other seasons.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Regarding his interceptions: The majority seem to be overthrows, but honestly those don't concern me as much as the several I saw where he seemed to have just not seen the defender at all; that, unfortunately, reminds me of Darnold...

When I took the time to watch Baker film I came away with the impression that he TRIES to throw it too hard.  I put emphasis on TRY.  He doesn't seem to have the smooth and easy arm strength that someone like Matt Stafford has, where Matt can effortlessly whip it out of a cannon.  I think Baker can get that kind of ball velocity but it takes him more effort.  So he loses a bit of control and accuracy for the sake of ball velocity.  I would definitely try to coach that out of him.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Took some time to look up some other clips of Mayfield for analysis, both positive and negative.

What I saw:

First off, his physical tools are on par with anybody, arm strength in particular; Mayfield can sling it, he can zip it, and he can run it, all very effectively; and his accuracy looks to be above average...

You see an awful lot of Brett Favre in him (both the good and the bad), especially when you watch big games, but I think overall he might be a little more accurate than Favre...

Also like Favre, Juevos Grandes for certain; he seems to fear nothing and trusts in himself thoroughly; again though, as it was with Favre, that can come back to bite him sometimes...

Passing mechanics are generally on point, even throwing on the run; he does throw on the run a fair amount but does a better job setting his feet than Darnold when he doesn't...

There were also miscommunications, balls he shouldn't have thrown, etc; overall I'd say a decent balance of forgivable and unforgivable, but more of the unforgivable variety than I would have liked...

And one kinda weird thing: he double (and triple, and quadruple) clutches as much as (possibly more than) any quarterback I've ever watched; saw this happen on a boatload of plays...

Overall? Yeah, he's good, but occasionally like his passes, a little undisciplined. That part of his game needs work.

I saw this a while ago from a Browns fan, a good breakdown of year by year the changes in schemes and defenses adjusting to whatever his coaches were doing the prior year. Basically same ideas as what you listed but it's interesting to see how they were scheming, and the last year is still a question mark with the injures. So here we are yet again with a guy who we don't know if he figured it out in 2020 and the injury held him back, or if teams just figured out what he did in 2020 and adjusted once again

• Pie 2