• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Person and The 33rd Team break down the Mayfield trade

Mr. Scot

(subscription required)

Good article, with my favorite line being a quote from Steve Smith:

“He wears his emotions on his sleeve. I do, too. I was an emotional player. But the difference between Baker and I is one, I won the triple crown — I led the league in something besides crying.” 

Ouch 😬

Smitty has since changed his tune, of course...

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Good article, with my favorite line being a quote from Steve Smith:

“He wears his emotions on his sleeve. I do, too. I was an emotional player. But the difference between Baker and I is one, I won the triple crown — I led the league in something besides crying.” 

Ouch 😬

Smitty has since changed his tune, of course.

image.jpeg.a92b3d79dd16d73c1b5fc63c5ef914bc.jpeg

• Beer 1

I'm gonna throw in the 33rd Team's analysis as well (it's free).

The basic take courtesy of Mike Tannenbaum and Marty Mornhinweg is that Mayfield primarily provides a short-term solution, possibly a bridge to the long-term one.

Excerpts:

Carolina Panthers Outlook
Baker Mayfield will now get the chance to compete for the starting QB job in Carolina, and he should be the frontrunner to take the job as it currently stands.
ad

Tannenbaum says that Baker Mayfield will be challenged this season, and this may be a quick solution to a long-term problem for the Panthers:

“Baker will have a challenge to play at the highest level possible. He is the best option at quarterback this season, but this is a marriage of convenience more than anything else.”

Mornhinweg also sees this trade as a short-term upgrade for Carolina:

“The Panthers upgraded. Yet probably not the 6-8-10 year type QB for them. Real good ‘band aide’ as a solid plus type player – one that the Panthers can win more games with. Carolina can now have the view of winning more games with Baker and in 2-3 years acquire a talented young QB to insert into a winning team. This would allow Carolina to add a QB with no major cap hit to a Super Bowl type team.”

Insiders see Baker Mayfield as a band-aid for Carolina

Edited by Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm gonna throw in the 33rd Team's analysis (it's free).

Insiders see Baker Mayfield as a band-aid for Carolina

Interesting quote from this article that ties in with my thinking that Baker makes a better mentor for Corral than Sam: 

Millen adds that he believes Carolina can find success with Mayfield if they run a system that fits his skill set:

“I would try to run as close to the system that Lincoln Riley had at Oklahoma as possible. Lots of RPOs and misdirection.”

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, shaqattaq said:

Interesting quote from this article that ties in with my thinking that Baker makes a better mentor for Corral than Sam: 

Millen adds that he believes Carolina can find success with Mayfield if they run a system that fits his skill set:

“I would try to run as close to the system that Lincoln Riley had at Oklahoma as possible. Lots of RPOs and misdirection.”

Do we see Ben McAdoo running that kind of system though? 🤔

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Probably not, but Mayfield's style of play / strengths are more in line with Corral's. I still have more hope for Corral long term than either of the QB's on our roster. I'm really hoping that Sam is holding a clipboard until someone gets desperate enough to trade for him.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Why not? 

We know McAdoo runs an up tempo WC offense with a zone blocking scheme. 

I dont think it would be stretching to far to incorporate some RPO tendencies - especially considering Corrall success with them at Ole Miss.

Everyone wants to keep their jobs and to do that they gotta win. 

Building a system around Baker gives them the best chance to do just that.

Edited by SteveSmithTD89

20 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sounds like the exact kind of system Matt Corral ran in college and would thrive in.

• Pie 1
  • The D 1