• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Insight into the broken relationship between the Browns and Mayfield

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Mayfield’s legacy in Cleveland will forever be akin to the messy franchise that drafted him: complicated. He departs fourth on the all-time list in passing yards behind only Brian Sipe, Otto Graham and Bernie Kosar — the holy trinity of Browns quarterbacks. He’s fifth in touchdown passes and second in passer rating (minimum 500 attempts).

This speaks volumes to of what a crappy organization looks like. It’s like the writer is trashing the guy for leaving, but never mentions his replacement … 

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The Browns have for years been the very embodiment of what I call lottery pick mentality.

"This ticket wasn't an instant winner? Okay, let's buy another one."

Ah, don't forget that important in-between step: Before buying another one, they stare at the ticket to make sure the numbers aren't going to magically change into the winners.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Ah, don't forget that important in-between step: Before buying another one, they stare at the ticket to make sure the numbers aren't going to magically change into the winners.

You never explained why you were talking about weeing in your prior post 😄

• Beer 1
  • The D 1

The whole situation there, plus the Watson pursuit and then the trade to here have been filled with shadows, shade and smoke. Honestly, we don't know what we've got, we don't know what we're going to do with it and we have no idea how this will shake out.

By the end of the season we could well be looking at Mayfield and Darnold still shooting it out in an effort to secure a back-up QB job while Corral starts for a coach as yet to be named.

This is going to be the bumpiest season we've seen since Seifert. Maybe worse.

Or something magical could happen. Maybe.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

40 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

Mayfield was widely viewed as childish and immature. His behavior annoyed teammates and divided the locker room. He was often difficult to coach.

He is not going to get along with Rhule. This thing is a failure from day 1 and it’s obvious.

Just now, Tbe said:

He is not going to get along with Rhule. This thing is a failure from day 1 and it’s obvious.

Does he get along with McAdoo? 🤔

There's a pretty good argument to be made that the answer to this question matters more than whether or not he gets along with Rhule.

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Jared Patterson said:

My only concern is why did we even make a trade? No other team was interested.... Why not just wait till he was released? Well I guess he wouldn't have chosen us if he would've been released, so I guess I answered my own question lol.

It was widely reported that the browns would never cut baker bc the browns didn’t want him going to the Steelers. 

Lack of buying into our process doesn't seem to be the problem the past 2 years. It has been lack of competent NFL coaching that has held us back. Actual interviews with excuses like they didn't show that on tape so we weren't  prepared for that.... Seriously??? This should be a qb friendly offense if CMC stays healthy and our receivers hold onto the ball. Baker was a high reward low cost 1 year rental for five million and a 5th rounder 2 years from now. Baker was the Browns offense and he was a big deal there. Here he isn't even guaranteed to start and should have a chip on his shoulder in a competitive way. All the reasons for a breakout.

• Pie 3

The Browns have for years been the very embodiment of what I call lottery pick mentality.

"This ticket wasn't an instant winner? Okay, let's buy another one."

This would be an apt description of our own QB pursuits since the end of Cam's career.

• Beer 1

52 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

The whole situation there, plus the Watson pursuit and then the trade to here have been filled with shadows, shade and smoke. Honestly, we don't know what we've got, we don't know what we're going to do with it and we have no idea how this will shake out.

By the end of the season we could well be looking at Mayfield and Darnold still shooting it out in an effort to secure a back-up QB job while Corral starts for a coach as yet to be named.

This is going to be the bumpiest season we've seen since Seifert. Maybe worse.

Or something magical could happen. Maybe.

If this season does go down in flames [and for the record, I hope it doesn't], then I hope Tepper will  and pry Kevin Colbert out of retirement as a senior consultant (sort of like what Jerry did with Ernie Acorsi) for next coach hire and to determine if we need a new GM, too.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Did he have issues with Lincoln Riley in Oklahoma?

I missed it if he did, but admittedly I don't follow college football quite as closely as I do the pros.

I'm sure they had issues, might not have been big enough to make it to the sports tabloids though. He had an alcohol related arrest while at OU and certainly pissed off some teammates and coaches with his behavior on and off the field. Baker almost got suspended a few times for generally being a douche. 

56 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Does he get along with McAdoo? 🤔

There's a pretty good argument to be made that the answer to this question matters more than whether or not he gets along with Rhule.

I don’t know enough about McAdoo but yeah I doubt they’ll get along either.