• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Poll: QB Competition?

CanadianCat

Quarterback Battle?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want?

• Completely open QB competition. Best player starts (even if its Darnold)
    • Its Bakers job to lose.

It won't matter who the QB is if we are running with Chubba and whomever our 3rd running back is at this point. CMC is the X-Factor for wins here. Baker and CMC in this west coast offense has me excited though. Ironically I think Baker is much better suited to this offense while Darnold is probably better suited to the Stefanski/Shanahan tree.

Baker is a winner, has a photographic memory, and absent the power struggle in Cleveland, should come in and be a good leader for a Panthers team that has been lacking true player leadership since Cam, Luke, and Thomas Davis left.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

It won't matter who the QB is if we are running with Chubba and whomever our 3rd running back is at this point. CMC is the X-Factor for wins here. Baker and CMC in this west coast offense has me excited though. Ironically I think Baker is much better suited to this offense while Darnold is probably better suited to the Stefanski/Shanahan tree.

Baker is a winner, has a photographic memory, and absent the power struggle in Cleveland, should come in and be a good leader for a Panthers team that has been lacking true player leadership since Cam, Luke, and Thomas Davis left.

He could.. overall we are going to have a poor record this year so the pressure will be on Tepper and Fitt to see if Rhule and Baker have done enough, despite the record to stay. 

The BEST case situation is that Rhule becomes that team building CEO style coach that he was hired to be and Baker proves that he is the 2020 version of himself. Then with a top 5 draft pick we should be able to trade down for a brinks truck of picks. THAT would be the best case situation. Keep the coach, keep the QB, have a top pick. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/18/panthers-qb-gives-david-carr-baker-mayfield-sam-darnold/

NFL Network analyst David Carr. And while Delhomme’s one-time teammate did catch his drift, he believes the timing of Mayfield’s acquisition says a lot about Carolina’s faith (or lack thereof) in Darnold.

“Jake is absolutely right,” Carr said. “It’s gonna be very difficult for Baker to come in—right before training camp—learn the guys, get a feel for this. But what has happened is—they’ve gone through OTAs, they’ve gone through minicamps with Sam Darnold and they’ve said, ‘It’s not enough. We gotta go get somebody.’ So, that for me is a big warning sign if I’m Sam Darnold. Like, they went out and got another quarterback because of what you guys looked like as an offense in the spring. For me, that says Baker Mayfield is the quarterback.

• Pie 1

On 7/14/2022 at 1:55 PM, CanadianCat said:

He could.. overall we are going to have a poor record this year so the pressure will be on Tepper and Fitt to see if Rhule and Baker have done enough, despite the record to stay. 

The BEST case situation is that Rhule becomes that team building CEO style coach that he was hired to be and Baker proves that he is the 2020 version of himself. Then with a top 5 draft pick we should be able to trade down for a brinks truck of picks. THAT would be the best case situation. Keep the coach, keep the QB, have a top pick. 

I'm fine with giving Rhule 5 or 6 of his seven years. There is no guarantee that we have a bad record this year either. Why did the Panthers go so hard after Baker? Teams don't go hard after QB's if they feel like a losing season is coming; they roll with who they have (e.g. Atlanta, Seattle). The Panthers feel like they are one player away and that's QB.

Baker has won everywhere he's gone.