• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ITS HAPPENING! BLACK HELMETS CONFIRMED!

joemac

My main concern with the black helmet craze is the impact on hot, sunny days.  That is probably why we won't see them until November.

The only research I have found on the subject of helmet color dealt with motorcycle helmets.  Granted, they are different, but the temperature difference between a dark helmet and a light helmet on a hot, sunny day was quite noticeable. 

There is a reason the Miami Dolphins helmets have always been white.  Someone proposed a aqua helmet several years ago that was popular with the fans but the team shot it down.  Of course, Jacksonville has black helmets, but I'm not sure we want to point to them as a good counterpoint.

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

My main concern with the black helmet craze is the impact on hot, sunny days.  That is probably why we won't see them until November.

The only research I have found on the subject of helmet color dealt with motorcycle helmets.  Granted, they are different, but the temperature difference between a dark helmet and a light helmet on a hot, sunny day was quite noticeable. 

There is a reason the Miami Dolphins helmets have always been white.  Someone proposed a aqua helmet several years ago that was popular with the fans but the team shot it down.  Of course, Jacksonville has black helmets, but I'm not sure we want to point to them as a good counterpoint.

Can't say I ever wore a black helmet, but I absolutely remember helmets being frigging miserable in the middle of July or August 😖

• Beer 1