• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN "Future" Power Rankings/Ratings

kungfoodude

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, that's another thing. Maybe when Rhule is gone these players all perform better. Could be that he is such a disaster as a coach that he is dragging everything down.

Or maybe his players are so bad that it's making him look bad. Which, he did pick most of them so that's kind of also on him.

Or(most likely) it's some of both.

Players no doubt have a lot to do w/ how coaches are viewed.  Largely QB.   It is the great eraser or exposer of what coaches are and aren't.  No position matters more to the career of coaches. 

then comes the Sam Darnold move. 

If Matt Rhule and his staff had thicker skin and accepted that they were flawed (as an all college staff would be)....and just kept Teddy for the 2 years they originally planned to and had then made moves to bring in long term options behind him to take over....I think Matt Rhule's job security would be much different today.  And he wouldn't be viewed as such a doofus either.  Sam Darnold was just a nightmare move.  Because he is so bad it was going to be 100% on the coaches to try to turn chicken poo into chicken salad.   And not even a good staff could make it work w/ Sam.  And they immediately got off a sensible rebuild with the move. 

• Beer 2

21 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, our path to success isn't things being maintained at their former levels. It's a lot of players having breakout years or figuring out how to become good NFL starters/rotational guys. And most if not all of that having to happen in 2022 if Rhule is still gonna be around.

That's why I can't get on board the "Oh we are right there" bandwagon. We MIGHT be close to being a playoff caliber roster, IF a LOT of things go well in 2022.

Our roster has a lot more questions than it does answers.

This has been one of my problems with the whole equation, too. 

Just under normal circumstances, guys that were dynamite in their rookie seasons turn into fire crackers in year two, some out and out duds.  It is the famed "sophomore slump," and it happens a lot as opponents have more film on them and figure out their tendencies and weaknesses.  Some recover, some don't.  We then added to that last year, leaving nearly our entire 2020 draft class as a question.  Chinn will be fine, if we use him right.  The rest.....who knows? 

Aside from the 2020 draft class, you can say that with most of our roster.

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Wilson will not be in the game on passing downs. It will be Littleton and Shaq. They are both above average borderline great coverage backers. 

We also have some options if Henderson struggles, Taylor and even Melvin can step in if he struggles...

12 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Wilson will not be in the game on passing downs. It will be Littleton and Shaq. They are both above average borderline great coverage backers. 

True.  But you just pass on first and 10 targeting Wilson.  Sure 3rd and long we swap out but our field personnel just determine the play.

7 minutes ago, poundaway said:

True.  But you just pass on first and 10 targeting Wilson.  Sure 3rd and long we swap out but our field personnel just determine the play.

Depends on personnel alignment. But yeah. I was just going off the statement of “passing downs” 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

We also have some options if Henderson struggles, Taylor and even Melvin can step in if he struggles...

I don't think Melvin, Taylor or  Henderson looked all that great last year.  We're proud of our cornerback room, but Donte is inconsistent, Horn got injured, and Henderson and Taylor really haven't shown it in the NFL yet.

If it were me, I'd target Melvin, Taylor and Henderson every time they are on the field while waiting for those times Donte gets out of position. 

• Beer 1

19 minutes ago, poundaway said:

I don't think Melvin, Taylor or  Henderson looked all that great last year.  We're proud of our cornerback room, but Donte is inconsistent, Horn got injured, and Henderson and Taylor really haven't shown it in the NFL yet.

If it were me, I'd target Melvin, Taylor and Henderson every time they are on the field while waiting for those times Donte gets out of position. 

Taylor was a 5th round rookie who played significant minutes.  He definitely flashed some games (and looked bad during others), but he should be better this year and capable of covering the 3rd option if Henderson can't do it IMO.  I really think (and hope) Henderson is going to look decent this year.  You have to think we also have Wilks coaching this young talented group versus whoever it was last year.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Wait, you dont think Rhule is a screwup?  For realz?

I think the juries out.  I think he over performed the first year by a couple games and under performed last year by a couple games.  Tepper thinks injuries played a role, and he's not entirely wrong.

I like Rhule's aggressiveness.  I like that he goes for it on 4th.  I like that he fakes punts.  I like that he slow walks D-linemen in to force timeouts.  I like that he forced out Hurney.  I like that he didn't make us watch 3 years of Teddy or another year of Allen.

Now the Brady/Sam/OL/Chuba choices were an unmitigated disaster.  He was over aggressive, took to big a risk and got burned.

But I like that he learns.  McAdoo/ Mayfeild, Corral / Bozeman, Icky, Corbett, and Foreman, addressed those holes. 

I'm hopeful.

If this works this year, there are some who will give credit where credits due, and some too filled hate.

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Taylor was a 5th round rookie who played significant minutes.  He definitely flashed some games (and looked bad during others), but he should be better this year and capable of covering the 3rd option if Henderson can't do it IMO.  I really think (and hope) Henderson is going to look decent this year.  You have to think we also have Wilks coaching this young talented group versus whoever it was last year.  

Wilks has developed some good CB's.  I'm hoping Henderson and Taylor develop. 

• Pie 1

On 7/20/2022 at 10:57 AM, w280sax said:

I like how they compliment the roster minus qb in the text and then rank it 26. 

Maybe I am a Homer but I think we are better than 26.

Head coach =32, qb=28, front office=31.  Oof

This is actually accurate. QB play is the single most important attribute of success in the NFL.  If we get better qb play, you'll see better results. if QB play and bad coaching persist, all that roster talent elsewhere will be wasted.

And just to be clear, OL play can be a heavy factor in QB play outcomes.

• Beer 1

51 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Yeah, I believe in the talent level of that group but we haven't seen the production to warrant any real hype yet. 

It's very promising but, again, more than one thing needs to go right for that to be an elite unit.

17 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, I believe in the talent level of that group but we haven't seen the production to warrant any real hype yet. 

It's very promising but, again, more than one thing needs to go right for that to be an elite unit.

Donte has talent. 

Horn looked good, but we haven't seen enought to really know he does.

I wouldn't say CJ, Taylor or Melvin have shown talent in the NFL.  For CJ and Taylor, there's just potential talent.  Until they show it...it isn't there.

• Beer 1