• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Re: Last year's defense

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

That would actually be on the offensive coordinator.   Its not the head coaches job to make in game adjustments to the offense.  If anything he had more fingerprints on the scripted plays to open the game.   The ones that actually worked. 

Yeah, no. The guy at the top is the one in charge.

• Beer 1

I think it was a combination of god awful scheming and adjusting from college level coaching, Horn getting injured, and Brown looking like a bust. I think the secondary will get a bit better but I fully expect the defense to be pretty bad this year, that line is trash.

Our defense has room to grow in specific areas and situations and probably wasn't the #2 defense in the league, but no this defense wasn't average and no the defense wasn't blowing the leads. By all accounts, our defense was better with the lead than trailing. With the lead, QBs had an 86.6 rating against us. Trailing, QBs had a 106.2 rating against us. This would suggest the complete opposite of what people suggest.

I think it's obvious that our offense was by far the problem last season and you have to go through so much mental gymnastics to blame our defense for the stat this thread is based on. The offense was 29th in turnovers and were by far worst in the league on offense outside of the first quarter. Meanwhile our defense was given statistically the worst starting position in the league, had the 3rd best average drive time, 1st in average amount of plays per drive, 2nd in average yards per drive, and 15th in average points per drive.

I wonder if the turnovers and average starting position played a part in points allowed lol... Totally the fault of the defense!

• Pie 2

The problem was both the offense and defense. It takes executing on both sides of the ball along with at least an average special teams to win games. We rarely played well on both sides of the ball in the same game. With little consistency we were all over the place and often collapsed in big situations. I think because the offense will be better, it will help the defense play looser knowing we can come back.

• Pie 1

What takes "mental gymnastics" is suggesting that the defense was actually good.

And no, it isn't all because of the offense. Yes, they were terrible and put us in bad situations, but the defense got run over even when they didn't.

The "tired" excuse doesn't work either, not when your defense is getting their ass kicked from early on in the game. Even with a bad offense, your defense should be able to last through at least the first half and come back refreshed after halftime. We didn't.

As has been said, we had good (in some cases very good) personnel, but lousy coaching, planning and scheming with nearly non-existent adjustments.

Unless someone like Wilks steps in and helps, I don't see much reason to expect improvement. 

• Pie 2

25 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

That's not how in game play calling adjustments work.  Some of you really overrate what the head coach does.

Rhule is the head coach and is therefore responsible for making sure the team can perform strategically. Full stop. If an OC or DC isn't getting the job done, where do you think that knowledge/ability is supposed to come from? That's management 101 and a requirement of such a position in any job anywhere. Dude has shown himself to be entirely inept in this regard at the NFL level.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What takes "mental gymnastics" is suggesting that the defense was actually good.

And no, it isn't all because of the offense. Yes, they were terrible and put us in bad situations, but the defense got run over even when they didn't.

The "tired" excuse doesn't work either, not when your defense is getting their ass kicked from early on in the game. Even with a bad offense, your defense should be able to last through at least the first half and come back refreshed after halftime. We didn't.

As has been said, we had good (in some cases very good) personnel, but lousy coaching, planning and scheming with nearly non-existent adjustments.

Unless someone like Wilks steps in and helps, I don't see much reason to expect improvement. 

The defense was 8th in rush yards per attempt. We got killed by volume, not efficiency. First half rushing yards were 3.8 YPA, which would have been top 3 in the NFL. And our personnel was very good, I'd agree. However, it was not meant to stop the run at all. We often had Reddick and Burns both on the field at the same time in 4 man fronts. 

1 hour ago, CamTheMan said:

The defense was 8th in rush yards per attempt. We got killed by volume, not efficiency. First half rushing yards were 3.8 YPA, which would have been top 3 in the NFL. And our personnel was very good, I'd agree. However, it was not meant to stop the run at all. We often had Reddick and Burns both on the field at the same time in 4 man fronts. 

No, it wasn't built to stop the run...which is why teams ran at us.

And our DC had no schematic adjustments or other responses to fix the issue.

Let's keep in mind when citing rushing statistics that we had 8 games against the bottom 9 teams in the league.  We did extremely well against some of them and only had two games in which one of those opponents put up more than 125 yards.

If you have half your season against the bottom of the barrel in rushing, you better have decent numbers by season's end.

We had 5 games against the top 10 teams and with one exception were not impressive.  Those numbers are inherently skewed.