• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wonder who pushed for Mayfield...

Jmac

3 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I prefer being TERRIBLE a year before a good QB class comes out. For example, 2020 and 2022. But we HAD to get Teddy and Baker. Sam could have done that for us and been somewhat worth his contract. $20M to tank this season. Hell, at this rate Matt Corral could have gotten us the #1 pick next year.

I understand this concept but the risk to this is that even if you get the #1 pick you are far from guaranteed that you will get an elite quarterback. Case in point- Baker Mayfield.  

• Pie 3

10 hours ago, RandomPanthersFan said:

I understand this concept but the risk to this is that even if you get the #1 pick you are far from guaranteed that you will get an elite quarterback. Case in point- Baker Mayfield.  

Teams like the Browns and Lions constantly fug up high draft picks, but it can be done right. The Colts hit on two franchise QBs in a row after tanking a season before.

Very obvious from the game that Sam Howell will be a much better QB, at least in the short term, than Matt Corral. Howell was throwing lasers and finding open guys. Corral couldn’t complete a pass. Both went against backups so no difference there. Corral has time to improve but, makes me wonder if the Panthers picked the right QB.

14 hours ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I prefer being TERRIBLE a year before a good QB class comes out. For example, 2020 and 2022. But we HAD to get Teddy and Baker. Sam could have done that for us and been somewhat worth his contract. $20M to tank this season. Hell, at this rate Matt Corral could have gotten us the #1 pick next year.

the tanking strategy for a top rated rookie Qb can often backfire  as history has proven time & time again.& then more importantly I believe in protecting the integrity of the game & not a fan of tanking whatsoever

5 minutes ago, bandu said:

the tanking strategy for a top rated rookie Qb can often backfire  as history has proven time & time again.& then more importantly I believe in protecting the integrity of the game & not a fan of tanking whatsoever

I understand why some are against it, but staying in the middle of the pack is worse to me. The Cowboys went 3-13 the year before Aikman, Colts 3-13 for Manning, Panthers 2-14 before Cam, Bengals, 2-14 before Burrow, and so on. If you don’t have a staff that can build around top draft picks or even make the right top draft picks, you are then screwed (Browns, Jets, Lions). Then again, I’m not sure I trust this staff anyways, so the caveat is that they would clean house then draft high.

They will say it was a collective effort.

IMO Matt wanted someone to try to compete with, and Fitt wanted someone who could lead a team and had a chip on their shoulder.  Trying to find that is tough, especially since we have been raiding the draft pick war chest for a few years in a row.

We got lucky, let's see if it works.

Just now, Snake said:

From what I'm hearing is that Rhules favorite is still Darnold. 

Sam throws a TD preseason game 1. 

Rhule holds out all starters this week vs the Patriots

Rhule then makes a decision. 

It's not hard to think Rhule simply argues that Baker wasn't significantly better than Sam enough to unseat him in his position and that Sam will start the season.  Argues that Sam has to perform well enough to keep the job though. 

I still think Rhule is going to implement some weird desperate hot seat coach logic.  He can suck w/ Sam and then move to Baker.   Fans will be excited Rhule finally makes the right call.  He can't suck w/ Baker and go to Sam.  Fans ain't having that. 

• Pie 1

14 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

The team has more invested with Sam. 

Getting  him to develop would be a hug win for the team.  

Sam is also the biggest cap hit on the 2022 roster.   That a pretty massive cap hit.  It's a weird space for Rhule to be operating.  I don't think Rhule moving on from Sam is the absolute certainty that people think. 

and that's coming off last year where Teddy was the largest cap hit on that 2021 roster.    

I mean, I think moving on from Sam is the right call.  Better to make a horrible move, admit it and move on.  That often isn't seen a great deal in coaching.  Because while moving on from mistakes is correct it also highlights pretty massive mistakes you are making.