• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Story on the Joe Brady situation from Charles Robinson..

WOW!!

5 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

We were originally interviewing Caldwell for the OC role and assistant HC. Ended up with Brady. Also, McAdoo and Sean Ryan were finalist for the QB coach job and we went with Sean Ryan.

Don't know that it ever got that far with Caldwell.

Rhule's entire quote from the Joe Person interview was "I’ve tried to get Jim Caldwell to come work for me a couple times. His son actually played for my father in ninth-grade football." No further details.

There were rumors about us looking at him when Rhule was hired (from Jourdan Rodrigue, I think) but I never saw a confirmed interview. That could have been one of Rhule's "times" but we don't know for sure. Might never have gotten past a phone call.

Also, the guy they named QB coach that season was already on staff (Jake Peetz). Ryan wasn't brought aboard until the following year.

“I think he [Brady] was overwhelmed and I think what happened was Matt Rhule ended up micromanaging a lot of other situations on offense,” he said. “Like, a ton. And it was really, really, not good.”

Jerry would have fired this guy. In actuality Richardson refused to hire a college coach so he wouldn't have been hired. An exercise in wisdom. May we all take note.

Jim Harbaugh has a .695 NFL win percentage, I'm obviously not talking about him.

7 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Why do you include Rhule in every conversation about Brady but not in every conversation about Darnold, Teddy, our “bottom third coaching staff”,  our poor o-line, Robby Anderson’s contract, how bad Elflein is, Chuba’s stone hands, etc. Rhule is ultimately responsible for all of those things, but somehow you are able to entertain (and even contribute) isolated criticisms of each one of these without lumping in Rhule every time. No, you reserve that uniquely for Brady. So playing dumb about not having a Brady Boner is pretty silly. Or is it that you only have room to  nestle one person in your bosom?

Matt Rhule is still employed here. Joe Brady isn’t.

And you seriously suggesting that I only bring up Matt Rhule exclusively when Joe Brady’s name comes up?  That I never bring him up Matt Rhule and knock him anywhere else?  LMAO.  That’s funny.  Comedy gold.  Well done.   You had me going.  I thought you were serious.  Now you I know this a true troll account.  

10 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I wouldn't give him who starts or not. Coordinators determine rotation and who plays. Matt just announces it. He is a rah rah guy who won't calls plays and does control timeouts and challenges and whether we go on fourth down or not. He has input but if he is smart he will defer to the football guys in the room. And if he doesn't he may be sent to the office to speak with Fitterer or Tepper. 

But the take on Matt Rhule was never....Matt Rhule is hands off but just was forced into micromanaging Joe Brady.  The take on Matt Rhule is simply that he is a micromanager that has to put his fingerprint on everything football related.   Those coaches exist.  McAdoo worked under one in NY.   They are what they are. 

Rhule took a chance on a bright young offensive mind, which Brady still is despite his failed tenure here. Frankly, not a whole lot different than Jay Gruden hiring Sean McVay as OC in his first year as HC. McVay was able to take the bull by the horns and quickly prove he's an elite football coach. Brady struggled and we moved on. I don't see this as a negative for Rhule but actually a positive. Only took a year and a half to move on, Rivera and many other coaches would've taken 4 years... And McAdoo seems like a really good choice but we will see soon enough.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

But the take on Matt Rhule was never....Matt Rhule is hands off but just was forced into micromanaging Joe Brady.  The take on Matt Rhule is simply that he is a micromanager that has to put his fingerprint on everything football related.   Those coaches exist.  McAdoo worked under one in NY.   They are what they are. 

I think that is a great point and we’ll see how it plays out this year. We have on paper very solid coordinators this year, so Rhule should be able to back off and focus on being the HC. He does trust Snow and, as far as I know, he doesn’t micromanage the defense. 

If he backs off, that will be a different Rhule than we’ve seen in the past and would show that he can evolve/change. If not he will never change. 

I’m still super concerned about his game management etc. but maybe even that will change if that is his sole focus. I can see it go either way at this point, but for now I’m going to lean on blind hope 😀

8 minutes ago, t96 said:

Rhule took a chance on a bright young offensive mind, which Brady still is despite his failed tenure here. Frankly, not a whole lot different than Jay Gruden hiring Sean McVay as OC in his first year as HC. McVay was able to take the bull by the horns and quickly prove he's an elite football coach. Brady struggled and we moved on. I don't see this as a negative for Rhule but actually a positive. Only took a year and a half to move on, Rivera and many other coaches would've taken 4 years... And McAdoo seems like a really good choice but we will see soon enough.

McVay had 5 years of NFL coaching experience before stepping into the OC role at Washington, which FWIW was also the team and players he'd spent the prior 4 years with. Rhule's decision-making with his staff was flow out poor out of the gate, and it's unfortunate that Tepper was OK with the college crew just coming in like that. 

I still think that Rhule was voluntold to hire some actual NFL level coaching personnel and am not confident he did it fully of his own accord. Hopefully it will be a net positive but as I've said before, if that's the case then what is Rhule actually bringing to the table as an HC?

Regular season's almost here and that will tell the story. 

• Pie 2

Just now, Pakmeng said:

He certainly has blame for his inexperienced coaching staff but he was first looking at McAdoo prior to Brady. It certainly seems that he was persuaded to hire Brady. 

He interviewed McAdoo for QB coach and/or TE coach, not OC. Brady had already been hired at that point.

43 minutes ago, KSpan said:

He interviewed McAdoo for QB coach and/or TE coach, not OC. Brady had already been hired at that point.

And again the following year for QB coach before he hired Sean Ryan.

Rhule's own words in his interview with Joe Person were that he had talked to Ben McAdoo before but that he "never seemed to be the right fit".

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

And again the following year for QB coach before he hired Sean Ryan.

Rhule's own words in his interview with Joe Person were that he had talked to Ben McAdoo before but that he "never seemed to be the right fit".

He seemed to fit a little better after nobody else was left to take the OC job. 😂