• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PJ Expected to Start Tonight

Proudiddy

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Dress rehearsal and he does this. Ive never seen a head coaching tenure decided by a preseason. But here we are.

To continue to watch this man mishandle everything every season and expect a different result is a practice in insanity.

Spoiler alert: Close to the same record as last year. No reason not to play a capable rookie QB with the pedigree (projected 1st rounder and the support that comes with it) of Matt Corral.

• Beer 1

Just now, Cam Lawter said:

I'm willing to bet we are going to cut Sam and keep PJ and just eat the 20 million without him on the roster. 

Then why the fug did we have this stupid qb competition in the first place?   For the record I said they should have jsut cut darnold the day they got baker as we know what sam is.  Dogshit.  But for some reason rhule didnt want to upset cmac or some other bullshit.

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

That wouldnt move the needle one bit.  Pj and sam are pretty much untradable at this point.  Unless of course we give up draft capital for someone to take on darnolds contract

I encourage anyone that is interested to listen to ellis podcast and he thoroughly explains why neither is going to get traded

Yeah, teams aren't going to ignore a few years of film on a QB over one preseason game, or even an entire preseason and training camp.  Well, let me say almost no teams.  We might, but we already have the rights to Darnold and PJ.

Rippadon, as far as Rhule trying to sabotage Corral's development, I am more inclined to cite Hanlon's razor, or, as Goethe put it, "why look for conspiracy when stupidity can explain so much?"

The depth chart probably comes down to Darnold or Walker as the backup.  Most likely, the loser gets cut because nobody is going to give up anything for either of them and I  can't imagine  Rhule survives cutting Corral.  I doubt he would get fired immediately, but partially because I doubt Fitts would allow thought to be sent to the league office.  The fact that Darnold costs us roughly $18.5M doesn't mean much at this point since he costs us that whether he is on the roster or not.  I'd personally keep him and cut Walker, but in the end it probably doesn't make much difference.  If either of them is pressed into action as a starter, we are toast, anyway.

And assuming I am halfway right on the QB depth chart, the goal should be having Corral as the backup by season's end, assuming Mayfield plays the entire season.  We need to see enough of Corral to know what we have heading into the 2023 draft. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I am not understanding why baker isnt playing at all when the consensus from this week was he needs some better chemistry with the team

Our starters are so good, they don't actually need to practice.  We won 10 games! Yes over two years but still. Last year we even beat 3 of the worst teams. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

They truly believe someone is going to trade for Darnold lol

I assume their thinking is that after another terrible week of practice having him start for other teams to see isn’t going to improve is already negative trade value 

So with that said I understand standing PJ. PJ will be QB2 this year I’m guessing 

I agree, that is the only logic I can see as well. I don’t think it will happen, but I can see the reasoning behind it.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, rippadonn said:

To continue to watch this man mishandle everything every season and expect a different result is a practice in insanity.

Spoiler alert: Close to the same record as last year. No reason not to play a capable rookie QB with the pedigree (projected 1st rounder and the support that comes with it) of Matt Corral.

we are going to win about 7 games this year, Tepper makes a coaching change and we draft Will Levis at 8

49 minutes ago, Luciu5 said:

This is what I think as well. Darnold will be traded or cut at the 53. Mayfield, PJ, Corral will be our QB room, and I'm okay with that. QB competition needs to be already over and Darnolds reps should go down to nearly nothing.

Unlike Macadoo, I keep my crystal ball on me at all times. 😁

That’s fine, but why is he still taking 1st team reps? No matter what you think about the QB situation, Matt Rhule has handled it about as poorly as possible. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Cam Lawter said:

I don't think there was ever a QB competition to begin with. I think Rhule just is spouting poo at the reporters and analysts to keep everyone guessing. He thinks he is playing 4D chess but its quite obvious to everyone what Sam Darnold is and will continue to be.

If thats the case, which I dont believe, then we wasted valuable time in not streamlining baker learning the offense

If we cut darnold after giving him so many reps and letting him play last week I would be at a loss for words

• Beer 1