• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ICKEY

MechaZain

1 hour ago, Floppin said:

It's dumb. Swapping Icky and BC for one season is doing nothing but hampering their progression at the positions that they're eventually going to be playing. It's asinine. Play Icky at LT and BC at LG and let them gel and grow if that's the positions that they want them to be long term.

Yeah agree, this is clear. BC can be an average at best LT in this league while Icky can potentially be a pro bowl LT. No way you take a year away from him to learn the position in the NFL just because BC is a better pass protector as of this very minute (which is 2 preseason games in). That would be extremely stupid. 

• Pie 5

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Put your best group of five on the field. If that means Ickey at OG, so be it 

This isn't about Matt Rhule winning an extra game, it's about the future of the franchise.

Play the top 10 pick in the spot he was drafted to play. Let him take his lumps and learn. 

Also, I am not on the BC bandwagon at LT. He doesn't have a long term future there, most likely. So, again, we are accomplishing nothing.

I'd rather listen to people cry and bitch like Giants fans did about Andrew Thomas or Lions fans about Penei Sewell. All that bitching and crying eventually got quiet as those guys got better and better.

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The flip side of this coin is that people have posted similar takes regarding every draft bust ever.

Maybe Ickey is a bust. Maybe he's the next Jonathan Ogden. Most likely he'll be something in between.

Jumping to conclusions is annoying both directions, I agree completely...  The guy has the physical talent it's a matter of if he can learn to be a technician. 

I'm the reserve judgement and wait and see type.... I get the feeling most of the "bust" screamers are younger fans.... Elite Lts (even top 10 picks) historicaly take time to develope being an elite rookie LT is by far the exception not the rule.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Jumping to conclusions is annoying both directions, I agree completely...  The guy has the physical talent it's a matter of if he can learn to be a technician. 

I'm the reserve judgement and wait and see type.... I get the feeling most of the "bust" screamers are younger fans.... Elite Lts (even top 10 picks) historicaly take time to develope being an elite rookie LT is by far the exception not the rule.

I was a big Slater fan and I think Panther fans might have some recency bias about that position because of it.

LT's normally struggle for a bit before they start to figure things out. Don't get me wrong, usually it isn't 3-4 seasons of struggling. That usually means you suck. But if it takes 2-3 seasons before you start playing at an elite level, that isn't unusual.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Now put yourself in Matt Rhule's seat. If you don't win this year you're gone. The future doesn't matter. You have to put your best group on the field.  

And plenty of future great LTs didn't play LT as rookies. Our best LT on franchise history did not play LT as a rookie.

The same is true of other positions. Chinn played LB as a rookie. The best way to handle a talented rookie is often playing them where their current skill set is best suited regardless of your eventual plans for them. You're better off letting a guy get game experience where he can be successful rather than play him where you eventually see him but where he may not be currently suited.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If his current skill set is better suited to playing OG and Christensen is currently better at LT then it would be dumb to play Ickey at LT simply because that's where we see his future.

The guy claiming I have a tendency to get overly defensive sure is being mighty defensive. 😂

I'm just going to note that Trent Williams (easily the best LT in the NFL right now) has almost identical measurables to Ickey, Gave up 11.5 sacks as a rookie.... People need to temper there exceptions with rookie LTs.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Yes even orlando pace didnt start well at all. Hes already an upgrade and you cant skew him by playing him elsewhere. You don't draft a lineman late to start at left tackle as a long term option 

1 hour ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

I'm just going to note that Trent Williams (easily the best LT in the NFL right now) has almost identical measurables to Ickey, Gave up 11.5 sacks as a rookie.... People need to temper there exceptions with rookie LTs.

There is a difference between a 1st round pick and a HOFer.  Far too many huddlers think that he's a plug and play future HOFer. He's a 1st round pick with the measurables and talent to be very good. But as you pointed out he's going to have to learn.  He's fortunate that he has Brian Burns to go against every practice. Someone to help him get better. 

He's going to give up some sacks early on.  He has the tools to be a good LT.   Patience is a virtue.  

Edited by DaveThePanther2008
  • Pie 1

3 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

There is a difference between a 1st round pick and a HOFer.  Far too many huddlers think that he's a plug and play future HOFer. He's a 1st round pick with the measurables and talent to be very good. But as you pointed out he's going to have to learn.  He's fortunate that he has Brian Burns to go against every practice. Someone to help him get better. 

He's going to give up some sacks early on.  He has the tools to be a good LT.   Patience is a virtue.  

Ickey is going to give up some sacks, there's no doubt.  Here's what I'll be looking for:  Improvement over the season with less sacks given up over time, better technique as the season wears on and how he handles adversity after a bad play.

If he can stay mentally sound and improve over the course of the season, Ickey will be just fine.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, DMathematics said:

Nevet let Rhule have his choice of first players of the board at a position! DERRICK BROWN (his first pick lmao) Jaycee Horn over Surtain and just recently ICKEY over EVAN NEAL lmaooo you can't make this poo top man 

Was it Shitty take day for you??

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, DMathematics said:

Nevet let Rhule have his choice of first players of the board at a position! DERRICK BROWN (his first pick lmao) Jaycee Horn over Surtain and just recently ICKEY over EVAN NEAL lmaooo you can't make this poo top man 

Evan Neal is struggling to. Research a little before you overreact. It helps…

• Pie 1