• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker be starting

uncfan888

5 hours ago, Thomas31873 said:

In the year of huge WR contracts Landry signed a 1 year 3 million dollar deal, OBJ still hasn't found a taker. So why not trade DJ and RA straight up for Landry and sign OBJ... immediate upgrade. Don't you think?

I mean, Landry is a 5 time Pro Bowler.  He simply has done things in the NFL Robbie Anderson hasn’t and is a better overall WR.   3 straight headed into Clev and 2 Pro Bowls when he got there.  Landry being slept on IMO.  

That’s not a knock on our guys.  

call OBJ and DJ a push in talent.  I mean, look at how OBJ played with the Rams last year.   

Just seems a tad extreme to say this is the most talent Baker has ever had to work with by a large margin. Talent around Baker hasn’t been an issue.

For whatever reason when Clev paired it up the results weren’t as good as you expected.  Maybe that is scheme and coaching up there.  Maybe it’s chemistry and a wrong mix of personality.  Hard to call it a lack of talent though IMO.  

5 hours ago, Thomas31873 said:

In the year of huge WR contracts Landry signed a 1 year 3 million dollar deal, OBJ still hasn't found a taker. So why not trade DJ and RA straight up for Landry and sign OBJ... immediate upgrade. Don't you think?

The last thing you need is OBJ

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, frankw said:

Some of these people are just arguing to argue. Darnold was coddled last summer it's just a fact. We never should have guaranteed him that option. You let him play and if he goes on to be your franchise guy you work something out. But he was atrocious like he's always been. Very different situation from Baker who has actually been successful as a starter and took a pay cut to play here. Obviously Baker was and is our best option which may not be saying very much given what we have seen the last few years but this farce competition was a waste of everyone's time that's just the truth.

WOW is the absolute worst poster on this board, not even a close second

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Aussie Tank said:

Bakers gonna earn himself an extension here I can smell it 

Yep, I think so too.  And if he plays well enough for that, it will be A-OK with me.  Would be nice to have some consistency at that position for at least a few years after the crap we've had to deal with lately.  

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, CRA said:

call OBJ and DJ a push in talent.  I mean, look at how OBJ played with the Rams last year.

He did pick it up in the playoffs but his 8 games in the regular season with the Rams he caught 56% of his targets for 38.1 yards per game (less than with the Browns 38.7)

OBJs splits with Mayfield and Stafford are virtually identical, save for redzone TDs, which in Cleveland went to Chubb/Hunt and the TEs. In fact, except for the TDs, OBJ had slightly better stats with Mayfield... in 21. 

OBJ is a WR 2, at best. DJ is a legitimate WR 1. 

Landry was a good slot receiver, though he was injured in 21, just like OBJ.

As I said, the WR room was very bad in 2021. Donald Peoples-Jones was the best receiver, and Stefasnki wouldn't put Higgins in games much. 

The real teller is Mayfield's split with and without OBJ. Obj dragged Mayfield down. Landry before he was hurt this last round was still a good weapon, but like in #70s of WR in the league (I can't recall the exact). 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, CRA said:

OBJ/Landry > DJ/Robbie

Higgins came from Clev if that is the 3 here 

our TEs aren’t tilting the scales to our favor 

Clev had one of the best rosters in the NFL around Baker.   And he had a great backfield that was diverse and deep. 

OBJ missed a lot of time with injuries and had a knack for dropping drive killers, Landry fought through injuries as well and was definitely not a deep threat. Next was Peoples-Jones a 6th rounder. Higgins only came in about every 3 games to catch a TD then back to the bench. Stefanski's decisions and play calling were major head scratchers. The offense didn't seem to fit Baker and letting him play injured and ineffective last year was on Stefanski.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Tackman said:

OBJ missed a lot of time with injuries and had a knack for dropping drive killers, Landry fought through injuries as well and was definitely not a deep threat. Next was Peoples-Jones a 6th rounder. Higgins only came in about every 3 games to catch a TD then back to the bench. Stefanski's decisions and play calling were major head scratchers. The offense didn't seem to fit Baker and letting him play injured and ineffective last year was on Stefanski.

Thats exactly right.

If OBJ is so awesome why is he now homeless?
If Landry is so awesome why didn't Cleveland renew him instead of letting walk over to the Saints?

Both were great players before Cleveland, and  both saw their stats decline due to injuries and Stephanski's run heavy offense.  Even Stephan Diggs wanted out of Stephanski's offense in MN

https://thevikingage.com/2020/12/14/stefon-diggs-admits-minnesota-vikings/

I think the piece we're missing here is McAdoo.  He knows how to scheme up a passing offense better than Stephanski.

CMC, DJ, Robbie, Diggs,  and even Thomas & Tremble are going to feast this year because McAdoo knows how to scheme them open and Baker can get them the ball accurately.

I think Baker could have a career year just like Eli did under McAdoo in NY.

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Thats exactly right.

If OBJ is so awesome why is he now homeless?
If Landry is so awesome why didn't Cleveland renew him instead of letting walk over to the Saints?

Both were great players before Cleveland, and  both saw their stats decline due to injuries and Stephanski's run heavy offense.  Even Stephan Diggs wanted out of Stephanski's offense in MN

https://thevikingage.com/2020/12/14/stefon-diggs-admits-minnesota-vikings/

I think the piece we're missing here is McAdoo.  He knows how to scheme up a passing offense better than Stephanski.

CMC, DJ, Robbie, Diggs,  and even Thomas & Tremble are going to feast this year because McAdoo knows how to scheme them open and Baker can get them the ball accurately.

I think Baker could have a career year just like Eli did under McAdoo in NY.

Yep, in 2014 and 2015, the 2 years Manning had McAdoo as his OC, Eli had career highs in yards and TDs.  The only 2 years Eli passed for more than 4400 yards and more than 30 TDs.  McAdoo may be a shitty head coach, but he damn sure knowns how to scheme a successful passing game.  I think Baker will have similar numbers to Eli those 2 years.  Around 4300 yards and 30+ TD passes. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1