• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could Buffalo be without their punter tomorrow?

thunderraiden

33 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

The league should have made an example out of Watson. Unfortunately I think this is the tip of the iceberg.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Having this come out in the shadow of the Watson judgment makes things...complicated.

What happened, if true, is horrific. But it happened before he was drafted so there isn't anything the NFL or NFLPA can do. The Bills could cut him but that's about it.

Her lawyer claims she was offered money before he became a Bills player ("pick up on August 22") but he was drafted in April and was never "picked up" by the Bills. Strange indeed. 

It's a civil lawsuit not a criminal case. At least not yet.

BTW she called him, not the other way around:

At the request of police, the accuser called the men named in her lawsuit while being recorded by detectives. The lawsuits says Araiza confirmed they had sex, then recommended she get tested for a sexually transmitted disease. When he was asked "And did we have actual sex?" the accuser claims Araiza changed his tone and claimed to not remember anything from the night.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-p-matt-araiza-2-san-diego-state-teammates-accused-of-gang-rape-in-lawsuit-223612033.html

10 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

This will be all over the talk shows tmrw, will be very surprising if they trot him out there. If I were them I'd sign a former Gastonia High punter to play the game before letting him see the field

Speaking of Kickers.. one too look out for is Brandon Dickerson of Western Carolina.. he is stout player. 

Well, this complicates things...

Whatever happens (or doesn't), it's gonna fall on Beane, McDermott and the Pegulas.

Probably worth remembering that the Bills are one of the few teams in the league that have a female owner/co-owner.

Edited by Mr. Scot

I hope whoever was wronged gets justice, but this entire situation seems off. The police coaching her through phone calls, publicizing the fact that he has an STD, etc.. If they've got one of the rapists on tape admitting to the rape, why isn't it a criminal trial? The lawyer is in Southern California, so having adult industry clients isn't strange, but he does seem very unprofessional. The detail about her leaving the room missing all of her piercings, mentioning three different pierced areas specifically. It's just a very odd detail to include, and an odd thing for a bunch of date rapists to do in the middle of a crime like that; sounds like a fuging serial killer move. 

47 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

The timeline does show the Bills have known about the lawsuit for at least a few weeks, and still cut the other punter this past week. 

This is one of those stories that has the potential to get really really ugly.

(argument to be made that it already is, of course)

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, ladypanther said:

That was very hard to read.  Don't even want to try to imagine how horrific this must have been. This woman went to the hospital so sounds like there should be evidence.  These men should be in jail...for a long time.

Woman? It sounds like a girl. I know that it's bad either way, but a minor just doesn't have the experience needed to not put themselves in such a situation. That was bad, and I don't see how the Bills haven't already cut the guy.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Someone I saw online made a good point...

At the very least, he's guilty of having sex with a drunken, underage girl. That's the best case scenario.

Basically, not good...not good at all.

So the DA could still criminally charge him, now that they have the PD's investigation to review. If that phone call was legit I don't see how they can avoid it

7 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

I agree...except the insinuation that an older person going to a party might be putting themselves in a situation to be raped.  I doubt that is what you meant.  And absolutely agree the Bills should have cut this guy. They are going to look pretty bad as they try to defend that.

I don't believe any woman knowingly wants to be raped. But we all know, that there are bad actors in the world that prey upon women. Grown women who are more worldly and have some experience will know not to take a drink from a stranger, or will go to a party with a friend (or  friends) who will look out for one another to keep them out of bad situations like the one that took place. I have seen women protect one another from potential predators. That's what we teach the young women in our family. A minor likely has less experience and the forethought to even consider such things depending on how they are coming up. 

• Pie 1