• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Colin Thompson on Rhule

CashNewton22

2 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

This.  Dude basically threw Thompson a football lifeline TWICE, in college and then as a pro.  I'm not saying what he's saying isn't true, but do you think you're going to get a super objective and fair assessment of Rhule from Thompson considering their history together?  Sure, there is some truth to what he's saying, and I'm absolutely sure Rhule had positive qualities that the players believe in and like about him.  But, it's the results on the field that matters.  If he can coach every position, he might want to get to it then, because they have underperformed every year with him as the HC.  And honestly, everything we've heard from the outside has indicated he is more of a gameday manager than a hands-on "coach 'em up" at practice kind of coach.

And just to contrast, I'm pretty sure if you ask someone like Kenny Robinson about his experience with Rhule, the answer would be a lot different.  I think there are guys that like him, even ones that didn't play for him in college, but there also guys that are just cool with playing a game for a living regardless the outcomes or the staff around them...  and those guys are the reason we have never had back to back winning seasons, because it's a culture that isn't based on winning but rather image.  And to me, things haven't been any different with Rhule in that sense.  Who would you like working for more?  Someone who is nice and mostly loyal that you can get over on, or someone that is going to push you and take no nonsense where your job security may be threatened if you don't meet their expectations?  Most would want to work for the former.  The issue is, Rhule and every coach that preceded him became the former, and he appears to be that guy as well, which is why we are still mediocre...  So ultimately, I don't want to hear "he cares about his players" and all that BS.  I want that to be a given.  I want our coach to care about winning and be good at it, and good at finding the people to help him do it - not putting friends and followers in his backpack to take them along for a ride they don't deserve.

Yeah and throw in Evan Cooper and Jordan Dailey as position coaches that are basically clueless but giddy about the opportunity Rhule just gave them for whatever nepotism or hunch he decided on. It's not a secret everyone runs basically the same plays, it's obvious other coaches did a better job of calling the right plays at the right time and managing time outs/knowing what they were doing so they didn't have to burn time outs to get plays off against us the last 2 years. That TE mic'd up in that last confidential didn't exactly give me any confidence in the football IQ of that room

I'm sure he's nice. I'm sure the players and coaches that would never get a chance anywhere else would die for him. 

That's great, but until he becomes a winning coach, none of that stuff matters. 

Would rather have a coach that wins consistently but was an ass over a likeable loser.

If he can't do it this year, he won't. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I'm sure he's nice. I'm sure the players and coaches that would never get a chance anywhere else would die for him. 

That's great, but until he becomes a winning coach, none of that stuff matters. 

Would rather have a coach that wins consistently but was an ass over a likeable loser.

If he can't do it this year, he won't. 

Has any other HC had the chance to gamble on random QB's 3 years in a row, and fire the OC he hired? I'd go deeper into hirings and roster but I know there are a handful of "optimists" looking for the slightest misnomer to make excuses for the guy. Our most impressive wins I guess you could say were 2020 Chargers with a rookie QB and the 2021 Cardinals game that was more of a Cam thing. Everything else was Baylor/Temple level sort of playing better than the other team that also wasn't very good

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Eazy-E said:

Dude really is trying to get you to believe that coaches don’t matter and it all on the players. Basically just said this roster sucks. But hey, doesn’t Rhule have final say over the roster?

Lmao, what a clown.

we were a 5 win team two years in a row. YES are roster sucked. Weve had MAJOR hole in the most important positions. Hole that it takes time/lucky to fill. You cant ignore that out of hand

13 hours ago, CashNewton22 said:

I know positive talk about Coach Rhule is frowned upon and so many need a scapegoat so they take all their anger out on him but his players and coaches really do seem to like playing for/coaching for him. I’m on record as to giving Coach Rhule the benefit of the doubt this year. I know I’m moreso in the minority in regards to fans but it’s good to see that the locker room is tight. 

I've been critical in the past but I will damn sure take positive as well. I never root against our team and hope every season we will be great. I hope Rhule is truly a great coach and does turn it around this season. I won't bet money on him doing that but I would love to have my opinion proven wrong! I am all for Rhule's success of he can be but at same time I am for him being held accountable if we are not.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

55 minutes ago, YourLastThought said:

I've been critical in the past but I will damn sure take positive as well. I never root against our team and hope every season we will be great. I hope Rhule is truly a great coach and does turn it around this season. I won't bet money on him doing that but I would love to have my opinion proven wrong! I am all for Rhule's success of he can be but at same time I am for him being held accountable if we are not.

Which is an absolutely reasonable stance. I’m not saying he’s perfect and he’s made plenty of questionable decisions even from my lense but it’s crazy the amount of hate this dude gets. You can’t even be on a thread without some one saying Rhule sucks or something. Im not being a blind homer who only sees the positives but I also recognize he was a college coach coming to the nfl…I’m willing to see what he does this year before washing my hands of him.

• Beer 1

6 hours ago, TheBlue said:

we were a 5 win team two years in a row. YES are roster sucked. Weve had MAJOR hole in the most important positions. Hole that it takes time/lucky to fill. You cant ignore that out of hand

Of course there were holes but the way we went about it didn't always help. Rhule's first draft was all defense and by his 2nd year he fielded the 2nd worst oline in all of the NFL. Here we are in year 3 and our backup OL has sent two QB's to IR in preseason. This is an offensive league at the end of the day and teams go as far as they are willing to invest in the trenches. Let's hope Baker can stay upright it's going to be a long season.

16 hours ago, KSpan said:

The guy that has never stuck anywhere else in the NFL and was only active on Rhule's roster 4 years into an NFL career, and who came from Rhule's Temple after they were the only ones to offer him a scholarship as he transferred away from Florida, has nice things to say? Who could've guessed.

Look, people can be nice and intelligent but that doesn't mean they're good at actually implementing said information. The past 2 years have spoken louder than words, as this year will as well. 

Let’s all believe KSpan over someone who actually played football for coach Rhule at the highest level.. Collin Thompson has had other coaches.. high school.. college coaches.  But I think I’ll listen to your opinion over his. Please kspan, continue to preach to all of us 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, parker said:

Ironically, if he had said Coach Rhule sucks, his opinion would be legitimized because that's what people want proof of.  But the big picture is that coaches are measured by wins, not how good a person they are.

Because we need to win 13 games 2 years into a 7 year contract?  What do you expect his 7 years to look like? 5-11, 13-4, 14-3, 15-2, 16-1, 17-0, 17-0? It’s a rebuild. Enjoy the journey and process of getting there.  The joy is in the work it takes to climb to the top..makes it that much sweeter..Geez

Edited by Ezrider1423
  • Pie 1

16 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I think it comes down to what you said, I’d stick up for my meal ticket as well. Thompson is still on the practice squad and I’d imagine making $200K a year to be a PS player beats making 50K a year working at Enterprise.

Lmao why is it always Enterprise?