• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official 2023 QB Watch

saX man

3 minutes ago, saX man said:

Brugler released his mock on a new Athletic FS pod this week so his is new and off his latest intel. Some really good insight on it. Unsure if Richardson is as high as some are projecting.  Can’t dispute the upside but the hype may not be there for decision makers yet.

Yeah if Stroud falls to us around there It would be hard for the staff to pass up

On 11/27/2022 at 10:34 AM, 45catfan said:

At lot of you guys are high on these super-thin resume`, extremely young (raw), one-year wonders.  If we don't get Stroud/Young, I am more than content to trade back and go after some of these other QBs who have better resume`s. 

This is always an interesting one. The thin resume guys haven’t had as much of a chance to show what they can’t do, so it is close to 100% upside. The more experienced guys have showed more of their limitations. So the limited ones have more of a “what if?”. But it is such a guess work on how any of them will truly develop.

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, Jaxel said:

I wouldn't be mad with Max Duggan in the second.

I wouldn't bank on him being more than a 4th-ish rounder at best.  He's also had Quinten Johnson all season to chuck it to.  He can take a lick, so there's that, but NFL level passer? I'm unsure.  Per the Athletic:

As a prospect, Duggan is interesting. He has enough power to fire the ball to all three levels of the field, and his play strength as a ball carrier is impressive. But he’ll miss too many layups and isn’t a refined passer. He doesn’t properly use his eyes to hold defenders, and he tends to throw to areas, not spots, meaning too many throws are behind his target or on the wrong shoulder. However, Duggan’s size and toughness could get him drafted. He takes a beating and gets back up every time. I wouldn’t be surprised if a team views him as a Taysom Hill type of weapon, just not quite at the same level.

After the bigs, it's really Penix and Ward that interest me the most, but I just don't know what's realistic draft wise for them.  And I have a suspicion Ward stays in school.

Overall, not a proponent of trying to find a "sleeper" in the mid-rounds and claim they're somehow franchise changers, but there's some guys that can run NFL offenses in this draft.  This may be one of the deeper QB drafts in quite some time, with many drafted, but it's simply not top heavy or have any modern star prototypes. 

So may not be generating excitement, but there's going to be guys teams could target Day 2 that go higher than expected.  It also makes me feel like there's going to be someone who works out in the long run we don't see coming.  

So who are the ones that may not get projected high but teams take them higher than expected? With the year wound down, notables that have finished the year strong from a QB standpoint/making NFL-level throws & decisions:

Aidan O'Connell QB Purdue 6'3 210 

Jake Haener QB Fresno State 6'1 201

Michael Pratt QB Tulane 6'3 210

Clayton Tune QB Houston 6'3 220

I'd watch out for these ones ^^^^

Panthers wise, any would be good in a double dip scenario.

11 hours ago, UNCrules2187 said:

There went my 3rd round pick if we didn't take a QB in the first round.  If these underclassmen nearly all opt to stay in school, then this QB draft is going to dry up quickly.  Depth was going to be the hallmark of this QB draft as it was limited at the top.  It was and is the Stroud/Young show at the top, nothing about that is changing.

Let's assume all underclassmen QBs that's not named Stroud or Young return to school, this is the list we would be looking at:

RSR- Levis-Kentucky

RSR-Hooker-Tennessee

RSR-Leary-NCSU

RSR-Haener-Fresno St.

RSR-O'Connell-Purdue

RSR-Morgan-Minnestoa

SR-Duggan-TCU

SR-Nix Oregon

SR-Tune-Houston

SR-Mordecai-SMU

-There's a few others, I only listed 10,  but are so far down the list they will be UFAs.

9 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Let's assume all underclassmen QBs that's not named Stroud or Young return to school, this is the list we would be looking at:

RSR- Levis-Kentucky

RSR-Hooker-Tennessee

RSR-Leary-NCSU

RSR-Haener-Fresno St.

RSR-O'Connell-Purdue

RSR-Morgan-Minnestoa

SR-Duggan-TCU

SR-Nix Oregon

SR-Tune-Houston

SR-Mordecai-SMU

-There's a few others, I only listed 10,  but are so far down the list they will be UFAs.

Bolded who I think is draftable.  I do think this Michael Pratt is an interesting guy as well to throw into the mix.  Tulane rocked house this year and he looked very good doing it.

60% + completion, 8.6 per, 33 TDs (25 pass), 5 INTs, closed out the year beating 2 ranked teams in a row.    

Pratt (6'2/205) isn't getting much buzz ahead of the 2022 season after he suffered behind a subpar offensive line with an incredibly thin supporting cast last season, but the individual talent in his game is apparent to those who get into the film and go beyond the stat line while considering the circumstances. It's because of that Pratt was recently named to the Maxwell Award preseason watch list. The honor is presented annually to the best player in college football.

Tulane sophomore QB Michael Pratt is among the most underrated in college football according to one analyst.

Pratt (6'2/205) hasn't received a lot of national attention ahead of the 2022 season, but is a dark horse candidate to be one of the best in the nation this year. Crissy Froyd of Sports Illustrated and NBC Sports EDGE recently pinned Pratt as a player to watch: "Looking at the film, he's got a bit of Tyler Van Dyke to his game -- a comparison that's certainly a positive one considering the Miami quarterback is largely projected to be a first-rounder in April. Pratt seems to be mentally further along than a lot of other quarterbacks with his same experience level in taking what the defense gives him and delivering an accurate ball at all levels of the field even in the face of pressure (which he was frequently subjected to) and has a good foundation to develop off of as potentially one of the most underrated quarterbacks in college football."

That was before Van Dykes blunder of a 2022 season, but if that was the word and he turned around the year he did, you HAVE to think he's on radars.  Very interesting prospect in my view.  

Tulane finished #16 in the country.  The Cotton Bowl is one of the games to watch against USC.  VERY interested to see how they stack up.

Caleb & Addison vs. Pratt & Spears