• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule has still not learned how to win close games.

Snake

Rhule got tricked into calling a timeout towards the end of the half when the Browns looked like they were going for it on 4th down. Stefanski laughed and then trotted his kicker out there.

Even the guys in the booth were clowning on Rhule for it. The guy is a dumbass who still has no idea what he’s doing.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

23 hours ago, Snake said:

All other BS aside the biggest moment was when we went play it safe and kicked a FG leaving the browns plenty of time. That was Rivera year one and two type stuff. It's the type stuff you get when a coach can't get over his ego and take calculated risks that win games. It's also why unless we extend Rhule for another 7 years we won't be a winning team. Maybe not even then. 

I guess ole Rhule stopped using his ‘analytics’

Analytics aside, he is gutless 

• Beer 2

20 minutes ago, Gregg S said:

They didn't even need to go for the TD, especially after the Browns had used a timeout or 2.  All they needed was a 1st down which they could have gotten inside the 4 yard line.  Then they could have run the clock down to kick a FG as time expired and won the game.

Exactly   And that, is why I am livid 

amazingly, he was not directly asked that question in the press conference today 

he has zero, I mean zero, game management skills at the nfl level

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Gregg S said:

They didn't even need to go for the TD, especially after the Browns had used a timeout or 2.  All they needed was a 1st down which they could have gotten inside the 4 yard line.  Then they could have run the clock down to kick a FG as time expired and won the game.

just quoting so people can read it twice

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, Gregg S said:

Exactly.  Maybe you can make the case that if the game is tied as we face 1st and 10 at the Cleveland 14, playing to get the FG and cause them to burn their time outs is okay.  Honestly, I still don't like it, but barring a huge breakdown, the worst that happens is you wind up in OT.

But, starting this mess down by a point, you leave yourself open to losing on a late FG, which is exactly what happened.  If all they need is a FG, it shortens the field for them by 30-40 yards (40 yesterday).  Assuming they take possession at the 25 after the kickoff, that is only 35 yards in about 70 seconds to leave time for the kick. Even with no timeouts, that is not an overwhelming task.  It isn't even an unlikely task.

I everybody is sitting down, but our defense is not exactly the Steel Curtain or the Legion of Boom.  Leaving over a minute on the clock with a slim lead is going to result in losses more times than not.

Even the TD does not seal the deal, but it sure makes the mountain they have to climb higher.  Ideally, as you said, if you can manage to get the FD, you still take their timeouts off the board and can actually milk the clock.  Even if they opt to play for the FG at that point, Big Ben will have at least 40 fewer seconds (if you pick up the FD on the 1st and 10 play), which means the Browns get the ball back with 30-ish seconds left.....if they get the ball back at all.  That is a lot taller order than what we left them.

I think even our defense could hold a 2-point lead with :00 on the clock and people running off the field.

• The D 1

7 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Rhule got tricked into calling a timeout towards the end of the half when the Browns looked like they were going for it on 4th down. Stefanski laughed and then trotted his kicker out there.

Even the guys in the booth were clowning on Rhule for it. The guy is a dumbass who still has no idea what he’s doing.

This^^

I always neutral on replace a head coach and give him more time but not after this happened yesterday. He's panic and called a timeout! Apparently he is not learning and smart enough to be a NFL head coach.

Even my 10yrs old asked me why our team called a timeout for opposite team more time to change the strategy!!! 

20 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

And he wasted a time out after that Ian Thomas 50 yard play. Killed our momentum, gave the Browns a breather for no reason. I think he calls time outs sometimes because he literally doesn't know what's going on and needs a minute to mentally catch up. 

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

The Seahawks would probably have another SB title if only they had the sense to run.

And so would ATL. But the Panthers would have had 7 if they did not puss out. ATL and Sea were over aggressive. We on the other hand are not.