• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Time to put the Elf on the shelf?

micnificent28

8 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I don't know that running at Garrett is what you want to do either. Guy is a monster in that area as well. I think staying away from him and his side as much as possible is the call.

Think you have to keep him honest, Garrett was ranked in the 30’s among edge defenders in run defense last year. Obviously you don’t run at him every play, but you have to keep him honest and try to 1) wear him down with double teams from the tight end position and 2) don’t allow him to tee off on your QB by getting pass happy.

I don’t think we ran a screen or jet sweep to his side once. The best way to wear out a player like Garrett is to make him work in the run game a bit.

Ekwonu and Tremble should theoretically be able to handle Garrett in the run game but I don’t recall seeing one instance where we called a stretch to his side of the field. Everything was inside the tackles and predominantly behind Corbett, who was not good in the run game today.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

Regarding the gameplan, Baker took blame for it, and i cant remember if it was Baker or Rhule that said they were playing so poorly it changed what they were able to call, and you could see it.  Especially the whole first quarter, it's hard to really dial up your best stuff when you're constantly inside your own 20 and sitting at 3rd and 12+.  Also when you're botching snaps and getting every pass deflected it affects your ability to run and pass when you want.  Cleveland was dictating everything we did for 75% of the game, and because we were getting nothing from so many plays, we couldn't run our intended gameplan.  Rhule said we had planned to run a lot more, but couldn't because of what happened early.

52 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Run blocking is what guys like Ickey do best. It's what he's most comfortable doing. It's his first game. Get him going doing what he does well before throwing a ton of pass blocking into the scheme. 

I agree 100%. But vs Garrett this game? I don't think anyone or any rookie is that good. This isn't the game to practice run blocking or pass blocking for confidence against the best in the league. 

8 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I agree 100%. But vs Garrett this game? I don't think anyone or any rookie is that good. This isn't the game to practice run blocking or pass blocking for confidence against the best in the league. 

It's not necessarily practice, more setting his tone. Run blocking is more aggressive. You know the timing. First contact is yours. Garrett is all pro but run D isn't his strength. Ickey has a mean streak. Run blocking lets him embrace it. Good thing for a rookie LT vs an all pro. 

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Think you have to keep him honest, Garrett was ranked in the 30’s among edge defenders in run defense last year. Obviously you don’t run at him every play, but you have to keep him honest and try to 1) wear him down with double teams from the tight end position and 2) don’t allow him to tee off on your QB by getting pass happy.

I don’t think we ran a screen or jet sweep to his side once. The best way to wear out a player like Garrett is to make him work in the run game a bit.

Ekwonu and Tremble should theoretically be able to handle Garrett in the run game but I don’t recall seeing one instance where we called a stretch to his side of the field. Everything was inside the tackles and predominantly behind Corbett, who was not good in the run game today.

Yeah WTF Ickey was drafted high because of his run game and we only ran the ball like 15 times the whole game. I'd rather have 2 yards per carry than 3 incompletions, it at least wears the D down a little and gets slightly better field possession, which we were horrible at in the 1st half