• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule disappointed, not discouraged by opening loss

WarPanthers89

ARTICLE:

Matt Rhule fell to 10-24 as the Panthers head coach with Sunday’s 26-24 loss to the Browns, but he tried to focus on the positives during his Monday press conference.

Rhule said he and the rest of the team is “disappointed, but we’re not discouraged” by the result, which came after the Panthers came back from 13 points down to briefly take the lead in the fourth quarter of the game. Rhule tried to focus on the way the team bounced back from a bad start and figuring out how the Panthers could get that kind of effort on a more consistent basis.

“Every coach is upset with the result of the game,” Rhule said, via the team’s website. “At the same time, to play that badly on offense in the first half, and still came back and had a chance to win the football game. On defense, so many plays we want back and still have a chance to win the game. So we have to have a really good week, and we have to play much better. I think who we were in the fourth quarter is who we’d like to be. We just have to do it for 60 minutes. When we do that, we’ll be a good team.”

The Panthers have a road game with the Giants in Week Two and a more cohesive performance would be a good way to keep others from becoming discouraged about the direction Rhule is moving the team in his third season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/13/matt-rhule-disappointed-not-discouraged-by-opening-loss/

DF7EAB56-013F-45AE-9CD6-6593C5F50834.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, rayzor said:

why did they play badly? lack of preparedness? poor gameplan? who is to blame for that? 

own it.

He can’t fall on the game plan or coaching sword this soon. It will be “execution” or positional excuses for a bit until we’re looking out of the playoff race.

This is Sean McVay after getting killed by the Bills:

"We weren't ready to go. That's on me," McVay told reporters after the loss. "There was a lot of decisions I made that didn't put us in the best position to succeed. It was a very humbling night."

Nathaniel Hackett after losing to Seattle:

"We just gotta be better in that red zone, and that starts with me. I've got to be sure we've got a better plan and that we're able to get physical down there."

Notice what's different about them and what Matt Rhule says?

• Pie 4

15 minutes ago, trueblade said:

This is Sean McVay after getting killed by the Bills:

Nathaniel Hackett after losing to Seattle:

Notice what's different about them and what Matt Rhule says?

McVay knows what he's doing.  But there's nothing that Hackett could say after last night's display that would make me feel better about him.

That kind of game management is enough to make you sick to your stomach if you're a Broncos fan.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Yep. It Panthers would have been playing a competent, good team it would have been over at half time with no chance of coming back. 

aside from the falcons mid season, it's not going to be getting much better schedule-wise for the team than these first couple games.

if we don't get it right this week...we likely won't.