• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The "L" is mostly on First Half Baker

Khaki Lackey

4 minutes ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

Welcome, but uh, okay.

Former Brown's fan here (and did not follow Oklahoma; can't support sexual predators, anyway). Mayfield is the only playoff winning quarterback the Browns have had. This sort of critique would fly if the Browns EVER won anything without Mayfield, and were able to win in spite of his six injuries in 2021.

They didn't in 2021, and the Brown's defense in the playoff win, that CLE fans have revisioned as being inspite of Mayfied, so lauded for the scores in the Steelers playoff victory almost blew the game in the fourth. Just like the defense blew leads all 2020 and through the first half of 2021. 

This narrative you're bringing here is just factually wrong. It flies with the remaining fans in Cleveland, because you are all doing mental gymnastics. 

And, let's not even mention the fact, that Mayfield basically did win CAR a game on Sunday, only to have refs hand CLE the win. 

I'm so glad you guys are here so we can have a sane and rational discussion.

You guys are both right in a lot of ways. There's a long history that you both can account for.

I never thought Baker was that next level QB. Very high expectations at the outset for whatever reason (bad scouting) but the poster is correct. If the other team has a defense and a superior QB don't expect miracles.

I see a lack of focus. Call of Duty should be replaced by hard work in the physical world instead.

7 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

I see a lack of focus. Call of Duty should be replaced by hard work in the physical world instead.

LOL. To be fair, I'm not sure that wasn't just an unconfirmed twitter accusation, and it was Christmas Eve, and he was home on covid protocol -- but Mayfield was infamous before that for being a hyper competitive Halo player - so maybe. 

Aside from that, Mayfield was always credited for being a hard worker- just not always easy to get along with because of his "fire."

Expectations were always out of whack in CLE. One decent season (i.e. not going 1-15 or 0-16) and they were talking superbowl squad in ...2019. 

I don't think the 2021 roster, even with a healthy Mayfield was a superbowl caliber team, without some breaks (like Burrow and the Bengals got). The WR room was just that bad, and the defense was too prone to blowing leads as Stefanski called end-games inexplicably. 

I honestly don't know what Mayfield will ever be, as we've never seen two years of him in the same system -- what Burrow, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Jackson, Herbert... and so on, have all benefited from. 
Edited by AlphabetsEnd

31 minutes ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

LOL. To be fair, I'm not sure that wasn't just an unconfirmed twitter accusation, and it was Christmas Eve, and he was home on covid protocol -- but Mayfield was infamous before that for being a hyper competitive Halo player - so maybe. 

Aside from that, Mayfield was always credited for being a hard worker- just not always easy to get along with because of his "fire."

Expectations were always out of whack in CLE. One decent season (i.e. not going 1-15 or 0-16) and they were talking superbowl squad in ...2019. 

I don't think the 2021 roster, even with a healthy Mayfield was a superbowl caliber team, without some breaks (like Burrow and the Bengals got). The WR room was just that bad, and the defense was too prone to blowing leads as Stefanski called end-games inexplicably. 

I honestly don't know what Mayfield will ever be, as we've never seen two years of him in the same system -- what Burrow, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Jackson, Herbert... and so on, have all benefited from. 

Lol, the Rhule "system" won't last long either.

Again, welcome. Please continue to educate us.

Baker wasn't good, really he showed his spectrum in this game. Good, bad and ugly. 

The coaching, gameplan and playcalling were all terrible. I am not sure anyone should survive the purge that is so desperately needed on this team. I really can't imagine being a player for these coaches. It's like they want to put players in crap positions. If a player demanded a trade I wouldn't blame them, at all, that is how bad all of that is. 

• Pie 1

Baker wasn't good the first half but that first half was written on the wall in preseason. Bullshit oline rotations just to end up where everyone with half a brain knew we'd be except for Elf, team lacking fire and being prepared, not playing your brand new QB in actual game situations but instead playing your golden boy 4th string CFL qb, ignoring your all pro RB. Come on. This is on Rhule 1000%. It's just fuging pathetic at this point. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, Khaki Lackey said:

A lot has been made about establish the run game. It's difficult to do when snaps are muffed and all of your second downs are "and ten" and all of your third downs are "and long." Add in batted down passes, incompletions, and a pick, it makes for a lot of three and outs. Once the team gets behind in score, it becomes even more difficult to establish the run.

Unless you're a new Panther fan, you should know better because we watched the team run in those scenarios for over 15 years under the previous two coaches. And to be fair, that didn't work out well a lot of time. Just remember Fox's infamous draw on 3rd down.

The only way to establish the run is to run and keep mixing in runs instead of going all pass happy. They didn't do that on Sunday.

I do agree with you that Mayfield's first half performance had a pretty large part to do with the loss, but there were a lot of other factors that contributed to it as well.

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

I am not sure anyone should survive the purge that is so desperately needed on this team.

If you keep Fitterer, he and Morgan are likely picking the next coach.

If you clean house, then both the new GM and the new coach will be chosen by David Tepper and whatever sycophant he brings along to tell him how smart and wise and right he is.

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you keep Fitterer, he and Morgan are likely picking the next coach.

If you clean house, then both the new GM and the new coach will be chosen by David Tepper and whatever sycophant he brings along to tell him how smart and wise and right he is.

I agree. Let me clearify, the coaching staff.

Much like with Hurney, good or bad even Tepper knows he needs someone to do the heavy lifting. I'm not sold on Friterer as a full GM but i also see the alternative as being worse. Tepper is obviously suspectable to being played through his ego and lack of knowledge. He needs a hand to hold and all we got is Fritterer.