• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McCall Should’ve Gotten a Jersey on Sunday

40 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

Our depth at the position consists of a 6th rounder with about 2 season worth of experience, a 7th rounder who's played in 3 total NFL games and a rookie undrafted free agent. 

Idc if they are washed. They have NFL experience and are not still trying to learn and adjust to the NFL. We have the most inexperienced DT depth in the league. 

True, but the point I was trying to make was that we already have McCall and simply activating him is an easier move than trying to go out and sign someone. Let him do what you brought him in for

• Beer 1

On 9/13/2022 at 8:29 PM, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

True, but the point I was trying to make was that we already have McCall and simply activating him is an easier move than trying to go out and sign someone. Let him do what you brought him in for

I don't think McCall is going to be the silver bullet that people believe he is. He might be an upgrade but I don't think it's likely he is the upgrade that we want.

On 9/13/2022 at 6:32 PM, Eazy-E said:

Or you know, sign an actual DT who knows the NFL and can help stop the run. There are at least 5+ guys on their couches right now that would be immediate upgrades to our interior line.

But do they know the process and can they see it? Honestly though if I'm a NFL player and Matt Rhule comes calling its a big no for me dog. 

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think McCall is going to be the silver bullet that people believe he is. He might be an upgrade but I don't think it's likely he is the upgrade that we want.

Might not be, but like with Christensen last year, if the starters keep wowing us with their folly, I would like to see if McCall can hold his own. 

Especially if we don’t get a FA which most of us don’t expect will happen.

• Pie 2

This staff does not how to build a NFL defense. You need at least one BIG body in the DT room. Your DE’s can’t be all speed guys (one speed, one power … Peppers and Rucker). Of course we know 5 DB’s is not a good base defense for the NFL.

So it all goes back to the collage coach and collage scheme. I know he tired to talk to Jimmy Johnson, but look at the players Johnson brought in …. He brought in some BIG boys and played some power football

Edited by Panther53521

1 hour ago, Snake said:

But do they know the process and can they see it? Honestly though if I'm a NFL player and Matt Rhule comes calling its a big no for me dog. 

Ditto, nobody is trying to come in here and play for these inexperienced bums. All you get is a black eye on your career and Rhule may add insult to injury and throw you under the bus like he did Cam last year. 

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, Panther53521 said:

Of course we know 5 DB’s is not a good base defense for the NFL.

Nickel bases are becoming more and more prevalent and successful in today's NFL: link

The Buffalo Bills were one of the first teams to fully commit to playing a nickel base defense. This season they are playing 90.3% of their defensive snaps with five defensive backs on the field. Taron Johnson is their designated nickel corner and has been a large part of the reason for this transition. He was selected out of Weber State in the 4th round in 2018. Since being drafted the Bills have continued to play more snaps as a nickel defense and continued to be one of the best in the NFL. The Bills even promoted Coach Jim Salgado to their nickel position coach. This was a groundbreaking promotion due to this specific role typically not having a designated position coach.

The effectiveness of base nickel defenses has continuously escalated throughout the years. The ability to mitigate mismatches against a pass-first league is a large part of the reason why NFL defenses have migrated towards this style.

Unless teams have a linebacker who has high-end coverage ability it makes it difficult to match up against 11 personnel when in a traditional base defense. The top 3 teams who use nickel the most are the Bills (90.3%), Cowboys (78.9%) and Colts (79.0%). Each of these teams have top defenses that rank 3rd, 9th and 10th in scoring this season, respectively.

4 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

Ditto, nobody is trying to come in here and play for these inexperienced bums. All you get is a black eye on your career and Rhule may add insult to injury and throw you under the bus like he did Cam last year. 

Exactly players talk and we are considered toxic right now. It's why no respectable coordinators or coaches want anything to do with us.