• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule: We don't need to make any changes, we just need to battle through it right now.

Proudiddy

Tepper knows that Rhule is catching all of the ire and tough questions right now. The moment he fires Rhule that shifts to him. Why did you give an unproven college coach a huge 7 year contract? Why did you give him full control like he was Bill Belichick? What in the actual fug were you thinking?

He doesn't want to deal with that all season. That's why he'll wait until firing season to do it where it'll just blend in with the other noise. Firing a coach early in the season would make him the biggest story in the NFL right now and for all the wrong reasons.

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Tepper called Rhule his Chuck Knoll. He comes from the Steelers who notoriously give their coaches plenty of time to figure things out. This has more to do with pride than money for Tepper.

Yep, also I'm pretty sure he will lose more money by keeping Rhule.

Loss of ticket sales/merchandise > Rhules remaining salary. 

17 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

That is kind of the issue, he won't lose much at all.  This team has never had sustained success and yet, most games sell out (to companies, PSLs, opposing fans) and with profit sharing it's basically printing money.  Merch is probably a small piece compared to that.  Not to mention this is just a rich guy's hobby where I don't think you buy an NFL franchise right now to make massive profit, that was decades ago.

45 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Merchandise is (partly) shared revenue. Panthers specific merchandise doesn't go to Tepper, it goes to the league as a whole then is split. It's one of the reason a few years ago Jerry Jones called out Paul Brown at team meetings. Brown was bringing the whole league down with his stingy bullshit.

Concessions are team specific, but honestly the margins on those are kind of trash and are more than offset by what he's bringing in from MLS/concerts etc. Plus I can't imagine the fans that actually do go to the games are drinking LESS. 

Panthers have PSLs. Those seats are already sold. It's why even in their 1-15 seasons, they technically sold out every game even though the stadiums were 30% full.

And Tepper has shown he will fuging eat a loss just to prove a point. He took a bath on the South Carolina facility just because he didn't want to pay a little extra to the city. But he's at the point of wealth it doesn't matter. 

edit* sorry, merchandise is partially shared, but I can't look up the exact split right now

Edited by electro's horse
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

55 minutes ago, Randolph Panther said:

I would assume he would not do that though, wouldn't he then forfeit his guaranteed contract money.

Not sure how that would work, but I think Petrino did it out of pride as much as anything else.

Even if everybody knows he would ultimately have been fired, he can say he left on his own terms.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not sure how that would work, but I think Petrino did it out of pride as much as anything else.

Petrino forfeited his contract, however it was generally accepted that A.) he wasn't going to see the rest of the Falcons contract after the Vick situation and B.) he actually got paid a lot more than both his Falcons contract and what the official numbers were in Arkansas.

The big rumor was that Jerry Jones paid him under the table. 

Edited by electro's horse