• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic NFL podcast - Whats next for the Panthers

mrcompletely11

4 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

Anybody got a breakdown for those that can’t/don’t want to listen?

-The talk about the pros about starting over with a gm/hc attached

-Some young pieces albeit expensive, not sure how we got in salary cap hell without a qb

-If we keep fitt he probably is going to want to see what MC can do at QB

-our front office doesnt seem to be on the same page in regards to building a team

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

I would be happy with a new GM but I see no good path for Tepper to hire one on his own, maybe hire a consultant to hold his hand? Just fire Suliman asap. That guy has done nothing but create a giant mess for no reason other than he wanted to show how smart he was. I don't want to see that guy involved at any level at this point. How you get this bad with the cap without a QB is mindboggling and indefensible. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1

New HC/GM and draft a QB in the top 10 is the quickest way to fix this mess.  Trade away the expensive assets like CMC and if we can get a return for RA/Shaq (otherwise cut them).  We should have a decent OL for a young QB to learn behind plus DJ Moore and some cheap young WRs in TMJ and Shi.  We have a rough year next year, but after that the cap doesn't look too bad.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Everything is dire for every bad team before it suddenly isn't. NFL turn around a can happen on a dime. Hit the right coach/QB combo and your moving up.

This teams first goal needs to be hitting on a coach, and that coach should understand the value of hitting on a good young QB. To me any, any coach that says in the interview, "I want a veteran guy to start," during a rebuild, should be off the table.

Didn't listen yet but I don't agree that we're in horrible shape in terms of roster/assets. We're in horrible shape because Tepper is a meddling moron, but IF he's able to remove himself from the process and hire a Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh type proven head coach (or hit on a young offensive minded HC) I think that coach would have a lot to work with. Baker isn't great but is a fine stopgap plus we can take a QB high next draft. Other than that we've got a promising OL, McCaffrey, Moore, Robbie (for now) is a solid #2. On D we have several core young players in Horn, Chinn, Burns, Shaq, Donte. Just need good coaches to get the most out of these guys.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, t96 said:

Didn't listen yet but I don't agree that we're in horrible shape in terms of roster/assets. We're in horrible shape because Tepper is a meddling moron, but IF he's able to remove himself from the process and hire a Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh type proven head coach (or hit on a young offensive minded HC) I think that coach would have a lot to work with. Baker isn't great but is a fine stopgap plus we can take a QB high next draft. Other than that we've got a promising OL, McCaffrey, Moore, Robbie (for now) is a solid #2. On D we have several core young players in Horn, Chinn, Burns, Shaq, Donte. Just need good coaches to get the most out of these guys.

We can't take a qb in the first if we get peyton.  The saints will most certainly want our first pick

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

New HC/GM and draft a QB in the top 10 is the quickest way to fix this mess.  Trade away the expensive assets like CMC and if we can get a return for RA/Shaq (otherwise cut them).  We should have a decent OL for a young QB to learn behind plus DJ Moore and some cheap young WRs in TMJ and Shi.  We have a rough year next year, but after that the cap doesn't look too bad.  

Unfortunately you can't "trade away" CMC at this point - his contract/cap hit makes it so that the value the Panthers could get back for him isn't worth taking the dead money hit anyway. At best you're going to get maybe a 4th round pick for CMC, and that's likely to come from a contender so it'd be a late 4th most likely. At this point, the Panthers just have to live with the contract and keep him around for a young QB, whether that's Corral or a top 5 pick next year, to lean on and get acclimated to the NFL. 

Not sure what the appetite is to cut Shaq (I imagine not high), but cutting him and Robbie would result in a ~$21m dead cap hit, but free up about ~$26m in cap space.

• Pie 1