• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rex critical of Baker

top dawg

Actually thought he showed some improvement this game, though not enough.  He's still too happy with his feet which leads to inaccurate throws. And early on he went into panic mode way too quickly.  But it seemed like after taking a pretty big hit in the 3rd quarter that he calmed down.  There were a couple of times after that when he evaded the rush and kept his eyes down field and made a throw, or found his release valve instead of panicking.   Will see if he can continue to progress week to week and finally put the injury behind him.

1 hour ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

Aside from the bottom tier QB play, i've been surprised about Mayfield's demeanor. He's carrying himself like he's on Prozac or something. He seems muted, detached. I imagine it might be because of his past issues and trying to stay professional, but I can't help but wonder if that's killing his spark. 

That’s the part that’s been curious to me. Everything about him that were part of the “it” factor has totally vanished. He’s like a shell of his former self. I really do wonder if getting dumped by the Browns like that for Watson has really affected his confidence. 

6 minutes ago, Knaakedup said:

That’s the part that’s been curious to me. Everything about him that were part of the “it” factor has totally vanished. He’s like a shell of his former self. I really do wonder if getting dumped by the Browns like that for Watson has really affected his confidence. 

I suspect that if Mayfield ever has a breakout game, we might see it return somewhat. He's done nothing to earn any swagger, so until he does, if ever, he's gonna be this zombie. 

I don't know what his ceiling is but this seems like the floor. He doesn't trust his line or his receivers as they don't fight for the ball like the Saints receivers do. He doesn't throw early and often holds the ball. He doesn't throw the ball away or move well in the pocket. Meanwhile he often has no one to throw the ball who is open. Today McAdoo finally started to scheme some easy confidence booster passes to help Baker get into a rhythm in the third quarter. Why not come out with that to start the game?? Baker has to be better but so does the whole offense. And if Shenault isn't starting he better have a package in the redzone and on third down. He is big and physical. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

And to think that a lot of Huddlers thought that Rhule's handling--mishandling of Matt Corral's development was a reasonable course of action. It wasn't. He never seriously got the kid involved, treating him like an afterthought, and put him behind a sieve of an O-line and said in so many words that Corral had to make lemonade out of lemons. The way Rhule treated Corral was stupid! 

Huddlers took Baker and Corral--in a different way of course--for granted.

At this point, Darnold might give us more spark than Baker, and I never thought that I or anyone would say that. Baker seems smaller, in all respects, than I ever thought was possible.

I hope Corral has another Coach next season for ours and his own good.

The mishandling was because he was sooo eager to get garbage Baker on the field and PJ keep his job.

He lied to us about the QB competition, it never was if Baker was always on a pedestal coddled, protected from real hard work or scrutiny. In a real competition everyone would have had a chance to play with the first or at least second team. Only Baker and Sam got to "compete" and they'd already decided Sam was out so.... Bullcrap

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, rayzor said:

I didn't expect him to be all pro, but I did expect him to be competent. He ain't that.

I thought we were getting him at a discount. Turns out we may have overpaid. 

I'm starting to understand why Browns went as hardcore for a sexual predator who was going to be missing most of the season. Baker is bad.

Yeah he really is too short for the game. When I say that I mean he plays small. Mike Vick was an inch shorter but always played tall and so did Brees. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ncsdawg said:

Actually thought he showed some improvement this game, though not enough.  He's still too happy with his feet which leads to inaccurate throws. And early on he went into panic mode way too quickly.  But it seemed like after taking a pretty big hit in the 3rd quarter that he calmed down.  There were a couple of times after that when he evaded the rush and kept his eyes down field and made a throw, or found his release valve instead of panicking.   Will see if he can continue to progress week to week and finally put the injury behind him.

His stats pretty much sucked, even with the big catch and run from Shenault. I just don't see what you saw. It was a bad performance with no redeemable value. The only real plus is that he didn't throw an interception (which is kind of a low bar that was set up by Darnold's suckage last season).

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

His stats pretty much sucked, even with the big catch and run from Shenault. I just don't see what you saw. It was a bad performance with no redeemable value. The only real plus is that he didn't throw an interception (which is kind of a low bar that was set up by Darnold's suckage last season).

Not because he didn't try.