• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What sort of offense are we running?

Mr. Scot

I do not know what to call this offense, the formations do look very Coryell'esque.  But we don't play that way.

Particularly frustrating is the lack of pre-snap motion.  I don't understand how you don't do this.  When you have a QB who is struggling, you have to help him.  When there are concerns about him reading the field, the best thing you can do is use motion pre-snap to help him see what the defense is doing.

Honestly, it feels like McAdoo is sabotaging Baker to an extent.  Yes, Baker needs to do better, 100%.  But McAdoo needs to help him also.  Our offensive incompetence is going to be the proverbial straw.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

From Person's article...

Mayfield’s late arrival in Charlotte — he was acquired after OTAs and minicamp ended — has affected his timing. And it likely didn’t help that Rhule dragged the quarterback competition late into the preseason.

It’s funny how that same logic didn’t apply to Cam last year. 

It’s bullsh!t. 

• Pie 1

The Playbook is limited because of Baker. They are trying to stick to formations and plays Baker excels at during practice. He doesnt know the entire playbook. Sam has a better grasp of the entire playbook. Sam is also much better under-center than Baker and a big reason why he struggles. Baker is terrible under center and Mcadoo likes playing under center 1st and 2nd downs if the yardage is right. 

4 minutes ago, BrianS said:

I do not know what to call this offense, the formations do look very Coryell'esque.  But we don't play that way.

Particularly frustrating is the lack of pre-snap motion.  I don't understand how you don't do this.  When you have a QB who is struggling, you have to help him.  When there are concerns about him reading the field, the best thing you can do is use motion pre-snap to help him see what the defense is doing.

Honestly, it feels like McAdoo is sabotaging Baker to an extent.  Yes, Baker needs to do better, 100%.  But McAdoo needs to help him also.  Our offensive incompetence is going to be the proverbial straw.

If the choices are between McAdoo sabotaging Mayfield or just doing a sh-tty job, I'd cast my vote for number two.

• Pie 1

This is an offense designed on paper for the first team that would hire McAdoo and give him a coordinator's position. It was then modified to fit and maybe fix Sam Darnold and to address some massive rotations on the offensive line, possibly ones for the worse. Hopefully it would utilize CMC but wouldn't rely on him too much because of injury or to prevent him from injury.

Then it was tailored to additions on the O-line of some experienced players. Tailored again to maybe utilize Matt Corral eventually, with some effort to streamline it for his learning curve and strengths.

Then a trade was finalized so it had to be made to fit Baker Mayfield's style of play (and smaller stature). Then training camp comes and aa "QB competition" that had differing results for the passers because of their own innate abilities, strengths and weaknesses. The "competition" wasn't settled truly settled in practice until injuries to Corral and Darnold forced the issue. 

That left McAdoo with an untested mess tailored to everyone and no one. You end up with plays that use Baker's arm but leaving him in position behind a line he apparently can't see over. His mobility is nixed because they wanted Darnold to be more steady in the pocket. The whole thing has been dumbed down to suit the quick learning curves needed for Baker and Matt, to the point where even the dimmest of opposing DCs (or MLBs) can diagnosed what is going to happen by the simple placement of CMC.

This isn't a hybrid, it's a hash of leftovers and half-baked concepts. Maybe it will develop an identity. Maybe not. It's just not very good right now and foundationally it looks unsound. It's off the cuff alchemy on a budget and I don't think lead is going to turn into gold.

Fail Uh Oh GIF by Nickelodeon

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1