• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Derek Carr anyone?

joemac

15 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Raiders will cut him and eat the $5M. I really don't see any team trading or grabbing him on waivers for $30M. We have like $1M in cap space currently, I don't think it would be worth the cap gymnastics to get him as our next journeyman QB for 2 years. I also don't see why anyone would even entertain the idea until after the draft

I think hes a little better than the journeyman title.  He has been considered a top 10 QB for the past 2 or 3 years now.  And its not like he had a terrible year this year.  He went for 61% - 3500 -24 -14.  Not great, but would still be the best QB season we've had here in ages.  Before that he put up really good numbers and led his team to the playoffs. Im not saying I want to pay him 35-40 mil a year, but he would immediately be the 2nd best QB this team has ever trotted out there.

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Well, his own team deemed him unworthy of a $40 million dollar cap hit. So I have that supporting me.

I just took a look at OverTheCap's valuation of Carr, and they have it at roughly $28.5M.  That is less than the roughly $40.5 he will be due on his current contract, but more than I'd be willing to give him.  But, somebody might.

Once he is a FA, I think we have to make the phone call.  I am just not optimistic that there would be a meeting of the minds, unless the response is "I always wanted to be a Panther, at almost any cost."

• Beer 2

If Carr after he's cut is willing to take a one year prove it deal then i'm open to signing him if he will take $20-25 mill.  He can be a bridge QB to our newly drafted rookie 1st rounder, and significantly raise the level of play in the QB room.  This will also provide us insurance should we not land a rookie QB in April.  Let the potential rookie, Carr and Corral all fight it out, competition is good.  One of these 3 potential options has to hit lol.  I most certainly am not trading anything for Carr unless he's willing to redo his contract, and even then it would be nothing of value (like a 6th max).  

Edited by NJPanthers89
  • Pie 1

If Carr is released by Vegas and we can sign him at a lower number and maybe 3 years (w/option to void yr 3), I'd be much more interested. 

• Draft Johnston at 9 
  • Draft a TE at 40 or 60
  • Add another piece to our defense with our other R2 pick.

No draft picks given up to roll the dice on a draftee QB is my favorite part of this. 

We were a good NFL QB away from the playoffs. Carr can be our guy for the next two years, see if Corral develops and/or draft a QB in '24. Carr isn't elite, but he's a top-15 QB in the league and would do well with our OL and weapons. 

Edited by Soul Rebel