• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Once And For All (Batted Passes)

Catsfan69

7 hours ago, PhillyB said:

sure you did 

Just punch them in the balls every play. Great protection strategy. How about a less predictable offense? Every damn play in this shitty playbook looks like a 3 step drop and a quick out. It’s like a kid playing madden just goes with the same play over and over again.

• Pie 1

I don’t get why a OT on his heels in pass pro defending a freak like Miles Garrett going left right or through him can’t simply know exactly when superhuman freak Miles Garrett is going to jump and change his momentum and kick him in the balls so he can’t jump.  

I mean yeah, you want your OL to get hands on a defender.  But some of this slow mo all22 hindsight stuff puts some unrealistic expectations on lineman. 

The quickest means to solve the comedy of batted balls is Ben McAdoo not calling this horseshit nonsense right into the hands of a defense.   They know what we are doing.  Life is easy.  It's too much of the same short stuff to the outside.  He can't loft them over.  It's not a matter of him not getting his arm angle up high enough.  They have to be on a rope.  The lineman can get to the ball even if he tinkered with his throwing mechanics because it's the trajectory the ball has to be on those short routes.  DL are too big and tall for thinking he just isn't getting his arm up high enough solves something. Kill the RPO junk too.  The issue is they know where we are going and playing it. 

OP is just taking a round about angle to defend Rhule/McAdoo and this shitshow. 

• Pie 4

24 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Baker takes an eternity to throw the ball. His windup is ridiculous and telegraphs when he's about to throw, this allows D-Linemen to reach the peak of their jump right as the ball gets to them after Baker begins to throw. 

Dude has an MLB windup and should have been a pitcher. 

yep.  It's a combo job...all of Baker's flaws are highlighted in our offense.  A small QB, with a slow windup, that stares down guys.....in a painfully predictable offense. 

Baker needs to hand it off.  Setup play action.  Go deeper.  Deeper balls require the ball to come out different and with more loft.  The short game should be more check down/hot read.  The RPO/slant game is too heavily emphasized. 

• Pie 1

I actually find it very interesting that we call so much RPO.  It made me really think.

Was this offense designed for Matt Corral?  Serious question.

RPO was his bread and butter in college.  Quick release?  Off platform?  Three step drops?  Fits him to a tee.  I think we had serious intentions of putting Corral under center this year.  So much so that we designed an offense around it.  

Absolutely no way to prove it, but there's a good argument to be made.  This "looks" like a Corral offense.

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, CRA said:

yep.  It's a combo job...all of Baker's flaws are highlighted in our offense.  A small QB, with a slow windup, that stares down guys.....in a painfully predictable offense. 

Baker needs to hand it off.  Setup play action.  Go deeper.  Deeper balls require the ball to come out different and with more loft.  The short game should be more check down/hot read.  The RPO/slant game is too heavily emphasized. 

This thread lead me to create my own. I break it down here:

• Pie 2

Ok that's dumb. Easy way to get personal fouls too.

The issue is scheme and Baker. That's all. Can we be more aggressive in pass pro to keep the DL more engaged and therefore limiting the hands up? Sure. But we're going for all these quick hitters, DL can time that. Baker is short, easier to bat. So what does Baker try? Extend his throwing motion high to avoid batted balls. What does that cause? Him to sail balls we've seen him hit previously.

Baker is getting into his own head and until we start taking more deep shots than 3 times a game, it's going to be a problem.

5 hours ago, CRA said:

I don’t get why a OT on his heels in pass pro defending a freak like Miles Garrett going left right or through him can’t simply know exactly when superhuman freak Miles Garrett is going to jump and change his momentum and kick him in the balls so he can’t jump.  

I mean yeah, you want your OL to get hands on a defender.  But some of this slow mo all22 hindsight stuff puts some unrealistic expectations on lineman. 

The quickest means to solve the comedy of batted balls is Ben McAdoo not calling this horseshit nonsense right into the hands of a defense.   They know what we are doing.  Life is easy.  It's too much of the same short stuff to the outside.  He can't loft them over.  It's not a matter of him not getting his arm angle up high enough.  They have to be on a rope.  The lineman can get to the ball even if he tinkered with his throwing mechanics because it's the trajectory the ball has to be on those short routes.  DL are too big and tall for thinking he just isn't getting his arm up high enough solves something. Kill the RPO junk too.  The issue is they know where we are going and playing it. 

OP is just taking a round about angle to defend Rhule/McAdoo and this shitshow. 

No lol they both have to go. I wanted him fired last year.

My only hope this year is for him to.be fired since we now have zero chance at winning the Superbowl.