• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker is Telegraphing his throws

Ricky Spanish

All this analytical work is great. However, you are giving Rhule information he obviously hasn’t figured out himself. Maybe the huddle can do all the work and Rhule make the adjustments necessary to win games. Hum, should we all be available on the huddle during all games for insight and adjustments? It would be better than the product currently televised. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why we don’t at least attempt a few pump fakes a game.

Edited by philit99
  • Pie 2

i remember von miller mentioning that this is the type of stuff he looks for on film.

some of this is on mayfield...but after watching the all-22 game footage, the pathetically anemic playcalling is the equivalent of the defense being in the huddle with the qb before the snap.

in years past, bad oline play stood out. now, it's plain as day that defenses know what's coming even before the ball is snapped.

• Pie 1

I would never consider signing Baker to a long term deal, but hear me out. What you pointed out in your post about the throwing mechanics is fixable.  Footwork issues are fixable. Calling better plays and developing better schemes is fixable.

A good coaching staff could win games with Baker. He won 7 games for a team that won non the year before he got there. And, he won a playoff game after almost throwing 30 TD's one year, without the help of an injured Odell Beckham.

Teddy B went 5-0 as a Saint starter with Sean Peyton coaching him. Last year in Denver he went 7-7 with 18 TD's and 7 INT's.

Sam Darnold went 7-6 with 19 TD's and 13 INT's in 2019. Had he done that last year we would have been an 8 or 9 win team in 2021.

Yet, each guy seems to play worse football in Carolina. Such a decline in performance has to be in large part due to coaching. The current staff is unable to get the most out of the players and put them in position to succeed on the gridiron.

• Pie 5

25 minutes ago, Rags said:

ur right i'm sure rhule never told Baker once to stop telegraphing his throws.

I wouldn't bet on Matt Rhule recognizing anything like that.

Hell, Dan Orlovsky figured out a tell in our formations with a simple film study. Yet somehow neither our offensive staff not our defensive staff saw it.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't bet on Matt Rhule recognizing anything like that.

Hell, Dan Orlovsky figured out a tell in our formations with a simple film study. Yet somehow neither our offensive staff not our defensive staff saw it.

To which Rhule quickly replied "no, no We don't have a tell". At least they scrapped those RPOs and alignment to start the next game. Sad state of affairs when HCs are even addressing ESPN commentator's hot takes. 

8 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

I would never consider signing Baker to a long term deal, but hear me out. What you pointed out in your post about the throwing mechanics is fixable.  Footwork issues are fixable. Calling better plays and developing better schemes is fixable.

A good coaching staff could win games with Baker. He won 7 games for a team that won non the year before he got there. And, he won a playoff game after almost throwing 30 TD's one year, without the help of an injured Odell Beckham.

Teddy B went 5-0 as a Saint starter with Sean Peyton coaching him. Last year in Denver he went 7-7 with 18 TD's and 7 INT's.

Sam Darnold went 7-6 with 19 TD's and 13 INT's in 2019. Had he done that last year we would have been an 8 or 9 win team in 2021.

Yet, each guy seems to play worse football in Carolina. Such a decline in performance has to be in large part due to coaching. The current staff is unable to get the most out of the players and put them in position to succeed on the gridiron.

It really does make you wonder.  That is why the thought of us drafting a QB high in the first round is almost pointless while Rhule and company are around.  There just does not seem to be a lot of coaching, and that is not likely limited to the QB position.

None of these guys will make anybody forget about Dan Marino, but right now we are on that list of places where QBs go to have their careers die.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1