• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I’m definitely aboard the Demeco Ryans for HC bandwagon

7 minutes ago, hepcat said:

There’s a reason if you’re an old coach that you haven’t gotten a head coaching gig yet and it’s probably because you aren’t good enough 

Not really, but I get there's a bias toward younger guys these days because everyone wants to find the next McVay. Unfortunately, you're just as likely to find the next Joe Brady.

Ryans only has about five years of coaching experience. Dorsey, Johnson, Callahan and LaFleur, while they're all relatively young, all have at least ten.

Edited by Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not really, but I get there's a bias toward younger guys these days because everyone wants to find the next McVay. Unfortunately, you're just as likely to find the next Joe Brady.

Ryans only has about five years of coaching experience. Dorsey, Johnson, Callahan and LaFleur, while they're all relatively young, all have at least ten.

Can you name a coach if advanced age who was hired as a head coach for the first late in his career who won a superbowl? I really can’t think of any. 

I like Ryans because we already have talent on that side of the ball and our offense is a mess. I'm not saying Dorsey'll burn out here/in the nf but we don't have an Allen/Diggs combo or anything close to it. Moore could maybe be our Davis but even then, there's far more room for poo to go wrong. 

Aren't there any promising OCs or he could poach off of the 49ers talented offensive staff or smth?

1 minute ago, hepcat said:

Can you name a coach if advanced age who was hired as a head coach for the first late in his career who won a superbowl? I really can’t think of any. 

Pretty sure the oldest recent hire was Frank Reich, who looked pretty good before the Colts traded for Wentz, then Ryan.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Id be extremely careful throwing this out there. Brady with some experience up in Buffalo could be a promising candidate for an OC job in the future. 

Id imagine anyone with half a brain in the nfl circles are gonna look at what a train wreck Rhule is and not completely hold it against him. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, bigdog10 said:

Id be extremely careful throwing this out there. Brady with some experience up in Buffalo could be a promising candidate for an OC job in the future.

Id imagine anyone with half a brain in the nfl circles are gonna look at what a train wreck Rhule is and not completely hold it against him. 

He may be, but he wasn't ready to be an OC when we hired him.

A lot of this year's candidates (Ryan's included) are first year coordinators. I'm not a fan of going that route.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty sure the oldest recent hire was Frank Reich, who looked pretty good before the Colts traded for Wentz, then Ryan.

That’s not a ringing endorsement to hire an old coach. Young guys want to prove themselves for better or worse. Old guys don’t have that same motivation. It’s why I think QBs like Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson are playing like garbage. They have fat ass contracts and previous success to hang their hats on. No motivation to win. I think a coach like Ryans who learned under Kyle Shanahan (a coach with a burgeoning coaching tree) would be a great idea. That means the Panthers definitely won’t do it. 

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

That’s not a ringing endorsement to hire an old coach. Young guys want to prove themselves for better or worse. Old guys don’t have that same motivation. It’s why I think QBs like Matt Ryan and Russell Wilson are playing like garbage. They have fat ass contracts and previous success to hang their hats on. No motivation to win. I think a coach like Ryans who learned under Kyle Shanahan (a coach with a burgeoning coaching tree) would be a great idea. That means the Panthers definitely won’t do it. 

I want a guy who's got at least ten years experience, preferably with more than one as a coordinator.

The first part isn't that hard to find right now, but the second is.

Edited by Mr. Scot

I'm kinda on the Dan Quinn bandwagon at the moment.

That Dallas defense is legit and his players love him, and we badly need someone with legit NFL HC experience next, this team needs someone like that.

Bring Quinn in with the mandate that he has to find a young, innovative OC and turn the offense completely over to them, none of this 3 yards and a cloud of dust crap that many defensive minded HC's like to run.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1