• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What about Fritterer?

Waldo

8 minutes ago, BrianS said:

He deserves a chance to do the job of a GM without someone else telling him what he needs to accomplish.  You cannot put him fully at fault when it has become increasingly clear that Rhule held too much power over the organization.

Maybe he sinks, maybe he swims, but I think he needs a chance to do it as a real GM.

I agree that you can't blame him for everything under Rhule but he also wasn't a great hire, just the guy that would take a GM lite job under Rhule who was hand picked by Rhule. Maybe he is good or maybe he is worse than some of us think but he was never hired to be a full or real GM so grading him by the job he took and did is fair even if there is the asterisk of Rhule's rule attached.

He even came from an organization where the GM took his directions from their HC so it's not like he was trained to be a fully functioning GM in the traditional since. It could just as easily say it's not fair to give that kind of candidate the benefit of the doubt when there are better options out there for a traditional GM role. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's pure Panther fan thinking with no evidence to support it. Tepper has no more attachment to Morgan than he did to Newton.

It also ignores that Morgan came here to work with Fitterer. He considers Fitterer his scouting mentor.

Oh I know all of that. I think he’s gone 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's pure Panther fan thinking with no evidence to support it. Tepper has no more attachment to Morgan than he did to Newton.

It also ignores that Morgan came here to work with Fitterer. He considers Fitterer his scouting mentor.

And everything you say/post is fan speculation as well. Unless you work for the panthers, which you don’t. Love how you always pretend to be knowledgeable and astute to the entire Panther operation, while simultaneously putting down people for having an opinion. Asshat. 

16 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

As it shouldn't.  He was hand picked by Rhule to be his GM. Now he's got to prove that he can do a better job without Rhule telling him what to do.

I'm really curious if he makes it through the season, what he can do when he is allowed to select players who aren't multiple positions guys with high RAS scores. It seems like a lot of guys Matt made him target were guys he thought he could elevate. That's just not a winning formula when everyone else is already top of their game. 

7 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I'm really curious if he makes it through the season, what he can do when he is allowed to select players who aren't multiple positions guys with high RAS scores. It seems like a lot of guys Matt made him target were guys he thought he could elevate. That's just not a winning formula when everyone else is already top of their game. 

I think he gets this season and next season to show what he can do with a new coach that he gets to pick before the heat gets turned up to high. Right now I would say it's on low until this time next season, unless he just really pisses Tepper off before then.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

He deserves a chance to do the job of a GM without someone else telling him what he needs to accomplish.  You cannot put him fully at fault when it has become increasingly clear that Rhule held too much power over the organization.

Maybe he sinks, maybe he swims, but I think he needs a chance to do it as a real GM.

He accepted the “GM” job knowing that Rhule had full roster control.

In doing so, he started depositing Tepper’s sweet, sweet money in his bank account.

Know what that means? That means Fitterer bought in to the way things were being done when he accepted the job. 

Which makes him, along with Rhule and Tepper, culpable for the current state of the franchise as well.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Actionman0z said:

I think he’s gone at end of season, and Dan Morgan will take over 

I really hope so, start fresh and who better than a Panthers legend.

If Scott stays, we may end up with a Fitterer / Quinn duo for the next few years and watch Dan go elsewhere.

If Dan stays, we could end up with a Morgan / Dorsey combo.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

If he has more control, as in the more traditional role of a GM,  he's going to have to make decisions that lead to winning. 

Tepper sounded like he wasn't necessarily in love with the handling of the resources, specifically drawing the short stick in drafts because of overspending with draft capital (and perhaps real capital), leaving us ass-out on the draft picks--as in not having enough. So, I'd suspect that Fitt is a little more thoughtful and frugal in free agency. Looking at this past offseason, learning from past mistakes seemed like a priority. Well, it sounds like it's going to need to be even more of a priority to keep--err, make Tepper happy.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fitterer be able to stay in a traditional GM role to see what he is made of.

But Tepper has the scoop on who was responsible for what moves over the Rhule/Fitterer term. If we see him get canned after the season, I suspect we are gonna know he had his hands in a lot more of our bad deals than a lot of observers thought. 

• Beer 1