• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the 2022 roster Rhule built better than the 2019 roster that Rhule inherited?

jayboogieman

2019 This was the year Ron tried to go 3-4 for defense.

Offense:

• QB: Cam Newton, Kyle Allen, Will Grier
  • RB: Christian McCaffrey, Jordan Scarlett, Reggie Bonnafon, Alex Armah(FB)
  • WR: DJ Moore, Curtis Samuel, Jarius Wright, Chris Hogan, Ray-Ray McCloud, Brandon Zylstra
  • TE: Greg Olsen, Ian Thomas, Chris Manhertz
  • OLine: Matt Paradis, Trai Turner, Greg Van Roten, Taylor Moton, Daryl Williams, Greg Little, Dennis Daley, Tyler Larsen, Brandon Greene

Defense:

• DLine: Kawann Short, Gerald McCoy, Dontari Poe, Kyle Love, Vernon Butler, Efe Obada
  • Edge: Mario Addison, Bruce Irvin, Brian Burns, Marquis Haynes, Christian Miller
  • Inside Linebackers: Luke Kuechly, Shaq Thompson, Jermaine Carter, Andre Smith, Jordan Kunaszyk
  • Secondary: Eric Reid, Tre Boston, James Bradberry, Donte Jackson, Colin Jones, Rashaan Gaulden, Javien Elliott, Ross Cockrell, Natrell Jamerson

Special Teams:

• Kicker: Joey Slye
  • Punter: Michael Palardy
  • Long snapper: JJ Jansen

Offense:

• QB: Baker Mayfield, PJ Walker, Sam Darnold, Matt Corral(IR)
  • RB: Christian McCaffrey, D-Onta Foreman, Chuba Hubbard, Raheem Blackshear
  • WR: DJ Moore, Robbie Anderson, Rashard Higgins, Terrace Marshall Jr, Shi Smith, Laviska Shenault Jr
  • TE: Giovanni Ricci, Stephen Sullivan, Ian Thomas, Tommy Tremble
  • OLine: Taylor Moton, Cam Erving, Ikem Ekwonu, Brady Christensen, Austin Corbett, Michael Jordan, Cade Mays, Pat Elfein, Bradley Bozeman, Sam Tecklenburg

Defense:

• DLine: Derrick Brown, Phil Hoskins, Matt Ioannidis, Maquan McCall, Daviyon Nixon
  • Edge: Amare Barno, Brian Burns, Yetur Gross-Matos, Marquis Haynes Sr, Henry Anderson
  • Linebackers: Cory Littleton, Isaiah Graham-Mobley(IR), Brandon Smith, Damien Wilson, Shaq Thompson, Frankie Luvu
  • Secondary: Xavier Woods, Juston Burris, Sean Chandler, Sam Franklin, Myles Harsfield, Stanley Thomas-Oliver, Keith Taylor, Donte Jackson, Jaycee Horn, CJ Henderson, Jeremy Chinn

Special Teams:

• Kicker: Eddy Pineiro
  • Punter: Johnny Hekker
  • Long snapper: JJ Jansen

The biggest things that stand out are the loses of Cam, Luke, and Olsen along with the additions of Horn, Chinn, and Icky, and massive improvement at kicker.

You have to keep in mind not only the names, but where they were/are in the stage of their career.  The Cam he inherited was not the Cam of 2015.  Olsen and Luke were putting out on the 18th holes of their careers. 

The roster he left behind was younger and marginally better.  I don't have an argument with the statement that what he left behind was better than what he inherited.  I'm just not convinced that was due to any great plan rather than just the way things unfolded.

Truth is, that is not the question anyway.  The question is whether the roster he built is better than the roster that could have been built by someone in that same timeframe. 

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 1

We spent more time picking higher under Rhule, we should have more talent now. Seems close but hard to tell because it's too soon for many and player development under Rhule was unbalanced at best. 

The D line on paper was great for Ron but it was terribly one dimensional. I like out DB room more now by far. Luke was great but that 3-4 nearly killed him. The oline this year is better by far. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2

I think a better question is more about if the team is in a better position roster wise for the next 3-5 years than when Rhule took over.

In that regard, I feel strongly it is, but that's less about Rhule and more about finally seeming to have an OL core, a young secondary, and a few great pieces on the DL.

• Beer 1

This team has playmakers on offense and defense.  The QB position has not been good, but this offense has solid to above avg WR's, solid Oline, and one of the best RB's in the game.  TE would be an area of opportunity. If the QB could just play 'average', I say they win against Cleveland and the Giants and are 3-2 vs 1-4.  Baker has been awful, and much worse than his play in Cleveland.  Have to wonder if it is a scheme issue for him because he is surrounded by talent.  

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's definitely not better at quarterback.

A lot of other places though? Yeah.

Gantt made the suggestion that it might just be a pretty decent overall roster to drop a good quarterback into and see what happens.

Unfortunately we're not going to find one in Free Agency next year 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/?ref=trending-pages

Rhule wasn't completely useless. Hell, even Marty Hurney wasn't completely useless.

Once the roster was built though, somebody had to coach it, somebody had to develop the players, and somebody had to put them in a position to succeed.

Rhule didn't really seem to be able to do any of those things.

When you're a head coach and you can't effectively do any of the things that are expected of your job, it's inevitable you're going to lose it.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

The DL has some promising pieces that are teetering on being core pieces instead of question marks.  If that unit can come along this season, I think it's a good roster.  For some reason, I have a hard time placing Burns here moving forward, I don't know why...    

Offense wise, looking ahead, I'm worried about complacency in the offensive skill personnel if anything.  Feel like this squad is missing a true deep threat and of course a competent balanced TE.  Subtract CMC or DJ, it's super pedestrian.  Given we have some pieces finally on the OL, maybe we go out and get a Zay Flowers type to compliment DJ for Young/Stroud/Levis.  Would love a QB-WR-DL type draft in 23'

7 minutes ago, saX man said:

The DL has some promising pieces that are teetering on being core pieces instead of question marks.  If that unit can come along this season, I think it's a good roster.  For some reason, I have a hard time placing Burns here moving forward, I don't know why...    

One of those "potential core pieces" on the offensive side is a pretty good illustration of why Rhule isn't here anymore.

Rhule drafts Brady Christensen in the third round, then stubbornly refuses to play him at a position of need because "his arms are too short".

A year later, we draft a guy with longer arms to specifically take that left tackle position, but he's forced to earn his spot because suddenly Christensen's arms aren't that big a deal after all.

The dude was just a clown.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

One of those "potential core pieces" on the offensive side is a pretty good illustration of why Rhule isn't here anymore.

Rhule drafts Brady Christensen in the third round, then stubbornly refuses to play him at a position of need because "his arms are too short".

A year later, we draft a guy with longer arms to specifically take that left tackle position, but he's forced to earn his spot because suddenly Christensen's arms aren't that big a deal after all.

The dude was just a clown.

I do think Brady C. is going to shape out to be our new Hang'man.  He's an ideal swing lineman that can start at a few spots, but I just don't think he's our long term LG.  

I have a hard time viewing him as a critical core, but he's a guy that should stick and be here a long time.