• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sounds like Scott Fitterer will continue as Panthers GM in '23

TheSpecialJuan

5 minutes ago, HPPantherzfan said:

As he should be, given the circumstances he was given I think he has done one hell of a job.  Example today, nobody thought we would get multiple picks for Robbie but he did. 

I don’t think he wants to peacock about anything involving RA. 

From OTC

Even though it was not a one year “prove it” deal the Panthers treated it as such and quickly extended Anderson after the season to a new contract worth $14.75 million a season. This would be a disaster for the team as Anderson only had 519 yards in 2021. Rather than paying the original $8 million salary and then letting him walk after a poor season, the new extension saw the team pay $12.5 million in 2021 and then an additional $12.31 million this year. For that extra $16.31 million in cash and cap the Panthers got 6 additional games, 13 receptions, 206 yards, and a touchdown of production.

Edited by Toomers
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Which number is accurate? If you want to pretend those 15 spots don’t exist, have at it. But the guy from OTC stated the real number 

I dont want too, just your hung up on andersons trade not lowering the 2023 cap and it did. Then you bring in 38 players. Hard to future tell, but they got 4 picks and who knows if finnessererer trades back for more or less(done both). 42 and add 2 UDFAs thats 44. Maybe 2 PS guys from this year are on min deals for 2023, thats 46. You know the 51 rule, you can sign 5-7 more for low salaries.

Moore, Burns, and many other contracts would be "reworked" to add space. Thats the nut shells, but fact was andersons contract is gone and they are below the cap right now. Plus the league has not even set the cap, everyone predicts it will go up much like past years non-coofus years. 

Signing Brian Burns to a long term extension is the most reasonable approach to getting some breathing room next year.  He's due $16M next year.  A huge signing bonus and start him out on peanuts on year 1 of his new deal gets us the most cap space.  Going ahead and extending Brown frees up about $7M too. The rest of the moves frees up a couple million here and there.  Extending those two alone gets us about $23M in cap.

Edited by 45catfan
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Agreed. Except throwing away 19M on a backup is the reason they had to restructure any of them this year. 

Agreed. But the reason they had to extend was they had just given up those picks and it didn't make sense if it was only a one year rental. The Darnold trade and 5th year was poo but it was driven by a lack of direction headed by Rhule and signed off by Tepper. You just can't put yourself in that position and realistically expect to come out ahead and we did it 3 freaking times. 

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Signing Brian Burns to a long term extension is the most reasonable approach to getting some breathing room next year.  He's due $16M next year.  A huge signing bonus and start him out on peanuts one year 1 of his new deal gets us the most cap space.  Going ahead and extending Brown frees up about $7M too. The rest of the moves frees up a couple million here and there. 

Not that we need to make any crazy additions to our roster with all that cap space. We're basically gonna field the same team. The free agent "starting" QB's are literally Sam, Baker, Teddy, and Daniel Jones lol. Brissett or Geno if you want 

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

You talking about Schneider? From all the articles, it was his decision to grab Wilson. According to you Fitt has had 0 control, but everything about Carroll and Schneider was they had equal control and in Wilson’s case Schneider convinced Carroll that they should draft him.

There was also an interview this off-season where Fitterer talked about how he was initially against drafting Wilson. Schneider eventually convinced him it was a good idea.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Signing Brian Burns to a long term extension is the most reasonable approach to getting some breathing room next year.  He's due $16M next year.  A huge signing bonus and start him out on peanuts on year 1 of his new deal gets us the most cap space.  Going ahead and extending Brown frees up about $7M too. The rest of the moves frees up a couple million here and there.  Extending those two alone gets us about $23M in cap.

God dam I feel just like the CMC and Darnold deal, I dont want to overpay Burns....I hold at 22 per and dont even want to do that......99 reset the market(should have), burns could get very close to 30per if he was a FA, id bet that. Just dont want to be the team paying that, just like CMC getting 16per.

No clue what his agent wants, but if its north of 22......trade him for a watson package.....

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

I dont want too, just your hung up on andersons trade not lowering the 2023 cap and it did. Then you bring in 38 players. Hard to future tell, but they got 4 picks and who knows if finnessererer trades back for more or less(done both). 42 and add 2 UDFAs thats 44. Maybe 2 PS guys from this year are on min deals for 2023, thats 46. You know the 51 rule, you can sign 5-7 more for low salaries.

Moore, Burns, and many other contracts would be "reworked" to add space. Thats the nut shells, but fact was andersons contract is gone and they are below the cap right now. Plus the league has not even set the cap, everyone predicts it will go up much like past years non-coofus years. 

I never said it didn’t. I just stated that the teaM wasn’t under. And clearly showed how and why. Fact is, unless the league starts playing with 38 players, that number is fictional  After 10M for draft picks, are all other playing on minimum contracts. Added to the ones on the list already? The cap is assumed the same for everyone. If you get more, so does everyone’s 

Believe whatever helps….

7 minutes ago, Toomers said:

I don’t think he wants to peacock about anything involving RA. 

From OTC

Even though it was not a one year “prove it” deal the Panthers treated it as such and quickly extended Anderson after the season to a new contract worth $14.75 million a season. This would be a disaster for the team as Anderson only had 519 yards in 2021. Rather than paying the original $8 million salary and then letting him walk after a poor season, the new extension saw the team pay $12.5 million in 2021 and then an additional $12.31 million this year. For that extra $16.31 million in cash and cap the Panthers got 6 additional games, 13 receptions, 206 yards, and a touchdown of production.

They extended him because he had over 90 catches and over 1000 receiving yards in 2020 and was the best wide receiver we had on the roster.  Honestly, hindsight being 20/20 and all, it was a pretty smart move then

Just now, Jackie Lee said:

Not that we need to make any crazy additions to our roster with all that cap space. We're basically gonna field the same team. The free agent "starting" QB's are literally Sam, Baker, Teddy, and Daniel Jones lol. Brissett or Geno if you want 

Yeah, I just went over next year's roster and honestly the defense nearly set.  A few LBs and some backup safeties, that's it!  The hard part is the offense. Crazy to say but our OL is really good shape, just a couple of depth pieces.  This draft better be offense heavy.  Obviously QB1, WR2, TE1 and a LB.

• Beer 1