• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New Stadium possible timeline

Ja  Rhule

2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Not too soon. No one would be willing to listen to a stadium deal right now. Maybe start with the team and practice facilities first?

I think they need to move rail road tracks and clean up the area.  Also will need to redo 277 ramp.  All that before construction can even start.

• Beer 1

Just now, Ja Rhule said:

I think they need to move rail road tracks and clean up the area.  Also will need to redo 277 ramp.  All that before construction can even start.

The site prep wouldn't include the ramp. That sounds like something the city would negotiate in the stadium negotiation process.

Still, way to early to have any conversations between the team and local leaders. Elections, recession, terrible product and recent massive failures lead me to believe it will be a while before anything meaningful ramps up. I think even Tepper said it was being pushed back 10 years last year? 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, FugginPoo said:

Why does that matter for a football stadium

Matters a lot. Build there without a clean-up people would come down sick because a stadium built right over contaminated soil. Common sense really. Not to mention structural corrosion and other safety issues caused by that contaminated area.

Edited by PantherOnTheProwl1523
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, TheBigKat said:

From a person I know close to the owner, the Charlotte Pipe and Foundry isn’t really being considered due to the strong potential of soil contamination 

Half of the Mooresville/ North Lake Norman area was built on top of Duke Energy coal ash dumps so I doubt it's a deal -breaker. I mean our transplanted northern friends have to have somewhere to live right?

• Pie 2

Environmental consultant specializing in Brownfields redevelopment here in the Charlotte area.  Contaminated soil is not a barrier to building a stadium at the Pipe and Foundry (or other contaminated property).  The environmental issues can be managed; it's simply a matter of cost, as contaminated soils would need to be disposed of to a properly permitted landfill at a higher price per ton than non-impacted soil leaving the site.  Contaminated groundwater beneath the site could also require a vapor intrusion mitigation system be installed beneath the occupied portions of the stadium (not the concourses or seating areas that are open air).  All these measures are things that can be and are regularly done during construction projects that encounter contaminated environmental media.  It just requires more money to properly coordinate with the appropriate regulatory agencies and properly manage the contaminated media.

• Pie 6