• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marshall faulk traded for a 2nd and fifth

Jmac

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

Yeah, and check out what Faulk did AFTER that trade.  He was not a HOF-caliber player before that trade, but was a great one with high upside.  With the Rams, for a period, he became the best player and most valuable player in the league.

I expect a similar outcome with CMC.  And again, the RB position is so short on shelf-life, it's stupid to overpay or ever really commit long-term to one, so i felt it was needed and understand it.  But I also don't trust this organization to rebuild properly, so I expect us to come out on the losing end of the trade regardless.

Peyton Manning even said during his rookie season the only reason they were in any game was because of Faulk. The team was under achieved with Mora and they already had eyes on Edgerin James with the 4th pick in the draft to replace Marshall Faulk. They got a LB and DE for Faulk that did nothing for the team.

The Panthers going to draft an Edgerin James to pair with a Peyton Manning? I expect the Panthers will just load up on defensive players that won't be here past their rookie contract with those draft picks.

Edited by CPantherKing
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

He was not a HOF-caliber player before that trade, but was a great one with high upside. 

He went #2 overall.  In 5 years with the Colts, he averaged 1600 yards from scrimmage and 10 TDs.  In his final season with the Colts, he led the league in total yards, was 4th in the league in receptions, and had over 900 receiving yards.  

He got more efficient with St. Louis, but everyone knew how much the Colts sucked so of course he wasn't terribly efficient.  He was absolutely putting up HOF-caliber numbers even considering.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Faulk being traded did wonders for his career with the Rams. Colts also got a decent RB in Edgerrin James in the draft. Peyton Manning is what really defined the Colts. As long as the Panthers hit on a franchise QB, no one will really remember  CMC. 

Just to be fair, Edgerrin James is a bit above decent. He was rookie of the year and won the rushing title his first two years. He owns the Colts records for most career rushing yards, rushing touchdowns, yards per game, and seasons over 1000 rushing yards. And he is in the Hall of Fame. Peyton defined the colts, but the RB they drafted after they traded Faulk was a home run. I just don't know if this front office is capable of duplicating that yet.

Edited by bigpoppa
  • Pie 1

11 hours ago, bigpoppa said:

Just to be fair, Edgerrin James is a bit above decent. He was rookie of the year and won the rushing title his first two years. He owns the Colts records for most career rushing yards, rushing touchdowns, yards per game, and seasons over 1000 rushing yards. And he is in the Hall of Fame. Peyton defined the colts, but the RB they drafted after they traded Faulk was a home run. I just don't know if this front office is capable of duplicating that yet.

Agreed, the point is that even though Faulk and CMC are great players, teams can replace them and still find great players. I just hope the Panthers FO can hit on these type of players. 

15 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

CMC is better than Faulk, Faulk said so himself. Put CMC on those teams back then and his records would never be broken. 

NFL Most Valuable Player (2000)

3× NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1999–2001)

NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (1994)

3× First-team All-Pro (1999–2001)

3× Second-team All-Pro (1994, 1995, 1998)

7× Pro Bowl (1994, 1995, 1998–2002)

NFL rushing touchdowns leader (2000)

2× NFL scoring leader (2000, 2001)

• Pie 1

I think Faulk was speaking about sheer talent accounting for McCaffrey's abilities at receiver. As far as a pure running back Faulk was a force of nature and he's a hall of famer for a reason. CMC would have to put up multiple 1,000+ yard rushing seasons to even sniff the hall of fame or Faulk's jockstrap as a rusher. That's just the truth.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

Agreed, the point is that even though Faulk and CMC are great players, teams can replace them and still find great players. I just hope the Panthers FO can hit on these type of players. 

Sure, but it’s not irrelevant that in this example, the Colts used the 4th overall pick to draft another back to replace him. Another hall of famer.

22 hours ago, Jmac said:

How about the Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams fiasco....I think teams have learned from that. Don't give up the farm for any one player.

49ers haven’t. They gave up three 1’s for Lance and now a load of picks for CMC

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Sure, but it’s not irrelevant that in this example, the Colts used the 4th overall pick to draft another back to replace him. Another hall of famer.

True, they used a top 5 pick for James but those are different times. To be very honest in today's NFL, I don't know if any RB will make it to the Hall of fame based on how they are utilized and rotated in committees. The days of the bell cow RB are over. Name me a current RB in the NFL that is a lock for the HOF?