• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CJ Stroud

Vox

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Stroud looks legit, Young looks legit (a little small, but I’ll wait on official measurements), and Levis might be the most NFL ready with a high ceiling. It’s a good year to suck IMO. 

At least there are options in case we mess around and win a game or 2. 

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I agree that we need a backup, but you don't draft a backup with the first choice of the draft.  

This would more dumb than drafting an LT with your top 5 pick and making him compete with a day two pick from the previous year whose arms you said were too short to play LT.

• Flames 1

34 minutes ago, rayzor said:

This would more dumb than drafting an LT with your top 5 pick and making him compete with a day two pick from the previous year whose arms you said were too short to play LT.

So are you saying that the 2023 rookie is the starter no matter what?  

Thanks to Rhule's we have no true gauge on how Corral can play.   I would think that there would be a true competition.  We'll have a new offense so neither QB will have an edge.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

So are you saying that the 2023 rookie is the starter no matter what?  

Thanks to Rhule's we have no true gauge on how Corral can play.   I would think that there would be a true competition.  We'll have a new offense so neither QB will have an edge.

2023 rookie is the starter no matter what in my eyes yea.  Would love to see corral develop but the only QB that’ll start over the first pick is going to be some Vet they bring in for a few weeks max.

Me seeing CJ Stroud come into the Panthers huddle is like Michael Scott seeing Toby Flenderson come into The Office.  "No, GOOOOODDDDD NOOOOOO".

The last big time Ohio State QB threw himself into traffic he was so bad, and Justin Fields is headed that direction, pun intended.  

1 minute ago, stan786 said:

2023 rookie is the starter no matter what in my eyes yea.  Would love to see corral develop but the only QB that’ll start over the first pick is going to be some Vet they bring in for a few weeks max.

That's a foolish approach.  You have to give Corral an opportunity to compete.  No one in here can truly say he's bust.  While the rookie may start the offseason as #1 you have to give both the opportunity to show what they can do.  

I'm not implying whatsoever that Corral is better than any QB in this draft but he should and most likely will get an opportunity to compete for the position.  

My point is, if he were to win than that #1 pick just went to waste.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

That's a foolish approach.  You have to give Corral an opportunity to compete.  No one in here can truly say he's bust.  While the rookie may start the offseason as #1 you have to give both the opportunity to show what they can do.  

I'm not implying whatsoever that Corral is better than any QB in this draft but he should and most likely will get an opportunity to compete for the position.  

My point is, if he were to win than that #1 pick just went to waste.

Draft capital matters that’s the NFL. Coaches that hand pick their QB is going to give him all the chances to develop.  Avoiding picking a Franchise QB at 1.01 because of the long shot that corral beats them out would be a losing decision 100%.  

There’s a reason corral fell to the third round, there’s a reason he couldn’t beat out even PJ Walker in the preseason. Dictating your draft plan based on a meh preseason from a late third round QB when you have a QB worth the 1.01 is on the board is a fireable offense. 

If corral has a miraculous improvement and somehow wins the job it’s not a waste of a pick, we found a QB and that’s the most important thing in the NFL, but to plan on that possibility is insanely short sighted.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, stan786 said:

there’s a reason he couldn’t beat out even PJ Walker in the preseason.

You must not have followed preseason.  Most would agree that Rhule wasn't going to give Corral a true shot.  PJ is on the Panthers only because Rhule wanted him.  He's only on the roster because we don't have a QB.  Many of the huddlers, including myself, said when Rhule pulled his stunt on Corral, it was going to force us to take a QB in this years draft.

I'm not going to get into the argument that our incoming rookie is 100% better than Corral.  No one can say one way or the other until we actually see them play.

I have no doubt that we are choosing a QB in this draft, but to anoint him the starter just because he was chosen #1.  The bust rate for #1 QB is very possible.  IMO none of the QBs in this draft are surefire franchise QBs.  If there was, this forum would 95% be onboard with one QB. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I'm not going to get into the argument that our incoming rookie is 100% better than Corral.  No one can say one way or the other until we actually see them play.

As college players, Young and Stroud are better than Corral was. That said, I agree with you about not knowing how that will translate to the NFL.

7 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You must not have followed preseason.  Most would agree that Rhule wasn't going to give Corral a true shot.  PJ is on the Panthers only because Rhule wanted him.  He's only on the roster because we don't have a QB.  Many of the huddlers, including myself, said when Rhule pulled his stunt on Corral, it was going to force us to take a QB in this years draft.

I have no doubt that we are choosing a QB in this draft, but to anoint him the starter just because he was chosen #1.  The bust rate for #1 QB is very possible.  IMO none of the QBs in this draft are surefire franchise QBs.  If there was, this forum would 95% be onboard with one QB. 

I wouldn't argue that Rhule didnt screw it up, I was also very frustrated at how he handled that.  I'd say you couldnt argue that corral put anything on tape that wow'd you.  I'm arguing that based on the fact the coaching staff coming in will have no loyalty to corral and will hand pick the QB we are drafting, the fact that raw talent wise the QB we draft will be more desired than Corral, and the fact Corral hasnt put good tape out there makes it nearly impossible for him to win the starting job. 

I do think a veteran stop gap could win the job but I think that corral could have a hard time beating him out as well sadly.  I think corral could 100% develop into an NFL QB I like a number of his traits, but you cant let that make you skip the QBs in this draft.  All players can bust sure but statistically Corral has a greater chance of busting than a top 10 QB as well.