• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tank to SB Champion

poundaway

2 hours ago, Malt Liquor said:

So did we tank the year before we got Cam? No we was just that horrible but we draft a franchise quarterback who eventually took us to a Super Bowl.

No.  I think people see us trade CMC and see that as we are setting the team up to lose.  I think trading CMC is the team acknowledging that they are not setup to win.  Hell, they were barely competitive with the superstar RB. Like the year before Cam, we are just that horrible.  

Yeah let’s keep doing what we have been doing! It worked so well. Signing Teddy as a FA and trading for Sam/Baker. 
Ditching bloated contracts for veteran players is the correct way to build sustained success. CMC and Robbie fit that description (and I’m looking at you Shaq as well). Plus we get some picks to build a cheaper younger roster. 
Drafting a QB and getting him on that rookie contract while we eat this dead cap hit next year should follow up nicely with 2024’s huge amount of cap space to sign FAs to complete our roster with our new HC and QB having a year to get their feet wet. That’s the way to do it IMO.

3 hours ago, Malt Liquor said:

So did we tank the year before we got Cam? No we was just that horrible but we draft a franchise quarterback who eventually took us to a Super Bowl.

Wrong, that was a purposeful tank. JR signed cheap fodder to fill in holes and resigned no one that coated anything but pennies. It was a business tank but tank nonetheless in every sense.

Colts tanked for Luck.

It doesn’t always have to be a super bowl to work and you still need a competent FO.

Two ways to build a team, build an elite one and plug in good vet. Second, draft a good qb and build decent team around him during rookie contact. This is the blueprint for literally almost every winning team outside some exceptions.

Two issues with the FA argument. 1. We do not have an elite team to plug in someone and not importantly 2. A worthwhile FA vet does not sign with a trash team like the Panthers for…well many reasons. I mean this literally was just done last year. Applies to coaches as well which again, was literally done just last year.

SO, it’s painfully obviously the only path up is to DRAFT. And anyone who has watched football for a while knows this. I am very happy we are finally tanking 4 years late, though I will miss the 5 moral victories every year. Not.

5 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah let’s keep doing what we have been doing! It worked so well. Signing Teddy as a FA and trading for Sam/Baker. 
Ditching bloated contracts for veteran players is the correct way to build sustained success. CMC and Robbie fit that description (and I’m looking at you Shaq as well). Plus we get some picks to build a cheaper younger roster. 
Drafting a QB and getting him on that rookie contract while we eat this dead cap hit next year should follow up nicely with 2024’s huge amount of cap space to sign FAs to complete our roster with our new HC and QB having a year to get their feet wet. That’s the way to do it IMO.

Tepper said 5 years. I guess he meant 4 shitty ones with a chance for the 5th year to resemble pro football. What a genius.

• Pie 1

We are bad enough amongst the rest of the league right now with our level of offensive output (with or without CMC) we really don't have to tank. But if we get the first pick you take a QB and shoot your shot it's our only choice we can't keep chasing QB's on other teams rosters.

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, rayzor said:

So make a suggestion. What is your answer for "doing it right"?

🙄  There is no "right way", that is the point.  You can get there via FA, trade, trading up, or taking a QB lower than top 5.

Those celebrating that the Panthers are going to be absolutely bottom of the league, because now we're doing it right, don't know what  they are talking about.

Nobody is doing cartwheels because the Panthers are bottom of the league but there is hope that we will finally get a shot at a franchise QB in the draft. Idk why anyone would be mad about that unless they're still salty about Matt Rhule being fired 👀🤔

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

10 hours ago, onmyown said:

Wrong, that was a purposeful tank. JR signed cheap fodder to fill in holes and resigned no one that coated anything but pennies. It was a business tank but tank nonetheless in every sense.

Colts tanked for Luck.

It doesn’t always have to be a super bowl to work and you still need a competent FO.

Two ways to build a team, build an elite one and plug in good vet. Second, draft a good qb and build decent team around him during rookie contact. This is the blueprint for literally almost every winning team outside some exceptions.

Two issues with the FA argument. 1. We do not have an elite team to plug in someone and not importantly 2. A worthwhile FA vet does not sign with a trash team like the Panthers for…well many reasons. I mean this literally was just done last year. Applies to coaches as well which again, was literally done just last year.

SO, it’s painfully obviously the only path up is to DRAFT. And anyone who has watched football for a while knows this. I am very happy we are finally tanking 4 years late, though I will miss the 5 moral victories every year. Not.

We could have actually been “tanking” for Luck. He was eligible that year but decided to stay his senior year before the draft. 
Plus it’s not very often teams are able to trade for an elite QB. I know we had Stafford and Russ (what a poo show Denver has turned into), but normally teams don’t ditch franchise QBs unless they are towards the end of their careers. Brady and Manning were signed as FAs but they are picking exactly where they want to go and what they want in those teams. Denver has been struggling to find a guy since Manning left after year 2. It will be interesting to see what happens to Tampa post Brady. 

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

🙄  There is no "right way", that is the point.  You can get there via FA, trade, trading up, or taking a QB lower than top 5.

Those celebrating that the Panthers are going to be absolutely bottom of the league, because now we're doing it right, don't know what  they are talking about.

What makes this way any more right or wrong than your way....wait you don't have a "right way" you just have....I don't know....what are you trying to say, that no one knows wtf they are talking about, we're just throwing poo out there? Or you have a better quality poo to fling? 

Just not 100% getting what you're throwing out there.

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

What makes this way any more right or wrong than your way....wait you don't have a "right way" you just have....I don't know....what are you trying to say, that no one knows wtf they are talking about, we're just throwing poo out there? Or you have a better quality poo to fling? 

Just not 100% getting what you're throwing out there.

Keep in mind this poster was mr positivity and basically poo on any poster before the season that said this year was going to be a poo show.  He was also a big rhule fan

He is a joke and a troll