• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Corral our 2023 starter

Panthers Fan 69

6 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

It's all so hypothetical right now, I'm wondering if we draft a guy, keep Corral and pick up a Minshew/Brissett type guy. The Steelers current situation might be the closest to reality as far as 3 dudes battling it out. Crazy thing is we don't even know who our staff is next year under that battle. QB FA list is pretty much our last 5 qbs and Minshew lol

I definitely see us getting a vet as well. If we hire the Eagles OC I would imagine the QB room as rookie, Minshew, and Corral. They have 3 active QBs in Philly so he might bring the same philosophy here. I think they should hold on to Corral because of the potential, but I don’t see him taking reps from our top pick. We hopefully aren’t doing the Matt Rhule QB competition again…

• Beer 1

People are really underestimating Corrals injury and the impact it will have on his performance. His mobility skill set has been greatly diminished and will never be the same especially depending on the severity. It will be interesting to see if he can make a comeback but this injury has ruined many a career in the NFL...

Edited by Pimpdaddy

Some of the responses in this thread are as ignorant as some of the responses in all the Baker-is-our-savior threads. 

The fact is that Corral got two-four reps in training camp per day. The now-fired coach, whom many of you thought was a moron, tried to sell people on the belief that mental reps could even be better than real reps. Corral was injected into games behind a sieve for an O-line, where he was destined to run for his life and a line that directly lead to him getting run over and injured, because the line got run over. Those players aren't even on the team (and I'd bet on any team). 

Corral was NOT put into a position to succeed; he was put into a position to fail by an abject failure of a coach. He was an afterthought because the failure of a coach didn't think about giving him a fair opportunity (and pretty much said so expressly and with actions). Corral was NOT developed and really not allowed to develop the right way in ANY shape, fashion or form. 

You may be able to draw some definitive conclusions about Corral from such a train wreck and essentially dereliction of duty by the HC, but I'm not. It makes about as much sense as the way Corral was mishandled and, incorrectly calculating that QBs that virtually no one wanted to trade for were the Panthers' saving grace.

Corral's talent didn't just melt into nothingness. And, yes, he has pro-level traits regardless of any stupidity that you may have heard otherwise. Sure, he has to be developed. Sure he has an injury that is a big obstacle to that development. And sure, there may be a talent that is better than Corral in the 2023 draft. But, he may develop, his young body can get over injury relatively quickly, and, yes, there is the possibility that he can ultimately beat out anyone coming out of the draft. These things may not be likely, but they are possibilities. 

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Some of the responses in this thread are as ignorant as some of the responses in all the Baker-is-our-savior threads. 

The fact is that Corral got two-four reps in training camp per day. The now-fired coach, whom many of you thought was a moron, tried to sell people on the belief that mental reps could even be better than real reps. Corral was injected into games behind a sieve for an O-line, where he was destined to run for his life and a line that directly lead to him getting run over and injured, because the line got run over. Those players aren't even on the team (and I'd bet on any team). 

Corral was NOT put into a position to succeed; he was put into a position to fail by an abject failure of a coach. He was an afterthought because the failure of a coach didn't think about giving him a fair opportunity (and pretty much said so expressly and with actions). Corral was NOT developed and really not allowed to develop the right way in ANY shape, fashion or form. 

You may be able to draw some definitive conclusions about Corral from such a train wreck and essentially dereliction of duty by the HC, but I'm not. It makes about as much sense as the way Corral was mishandled and incorrectly calculating that QBs that virtually no one wanted to trade for were the Panthers' saving grace.

Corral's talent didn't just melt into nothingness. And, yes, he has pro-level traits regardless of any stupidity that you may have heard otherwise. Sure, he has to be developed. Sure he has an injury that is a big obstacle to that development. And sure, there may be a talent that is better than Corral in the 2023 draft. But, he may develop, his young body can get over injury relatively quickly, and, yes, there is the possibility that he can ultimately beat out anyone coming out of the draft. These things may not be likely, but they are possibilities. 

I would 100% agree Corral was mishandled and it was a complete failure on Rhule's part.  Its not fair to him and it sucks this is where it is now.  That is also the realities of being a late third round pick in the NFL its much less forgiving for a Corral than it is someone who the team invests the first overall pick in, especially when Corral inst going to be able to give much of an impression until after the Rookie is in town and practicing.

Corral could win the job down the line in a couple years for sure and he's 100% someone I hope we keep around and develop.  The argument I have is planning on having Corral compete for the starting job this preseason is just hopes and prayers.  NFL teams do pay attention to draft capital and what it took to bring a player in when giving out "Chances" and the new coach is also going to want his first big investment to succeed.

This means the Rookie is going to be given the favorable practice reps, we are going to have a Vet come in to help mentor him, and Corral is going to have to work much harder for every chance he's going to get.  Generally that doesn't work out for players and they have to go to a few more teams before finding their chance.  Ideally we get a coach in that understands Corral is someone who we should be developing and giving ourselves options in case something happens to said Rookie or in a year or two its not working out.  Best case scenario they both pan out and we can flip Corral for some picks.

I just don't understand how people have watched the NFL and think for a second Corral is someone we are heavily factoring in for our future decisions.  He's, unfortunately for him, not going to be someone we are worried about when making roster decisions this offseason.  He should have his chances and I like him enough to think hes got a chance to stick but right now hes facing a harsh reality of the NFL and he's going to have a significant challenge in front of him.  It sucks but its just the truth

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, stan786 said:

I would 100% agree Corral was mishandled and it was a complete failure on Rhule's part.  Its not fair to him and it sucks this is where it is now.  That is also the realities of being a late third round pick in the NFL its much less forgiving for a Corral than it is someone who the team invests the first overall pick in, especially when Corral inst going to be able to give much of an impression until after the Rookie is in town and practicing.

Corral could win the job down the line in a couple years for sure and he's 100% someone I hope we keep around and develop.  The argument I have is planning on having Corral compete for the starting job this preseason is just hopes and prayers.  NFL teams do pay attention to draft capital and what it took to bring a player in when giving out "Chances" and the new coach is also going to want his first big investment to succeed.

This means the Rookie is going to be given the favorable practice reps, we are going to have a Vet come in to help mentor him, and Corral is going to have to work much harder for every chance he's going to get.  Generally that doesn't work out for players and they have to go to a few more teams before finding their chance.  Ideally we get a coach in that understands Corral is someone who we should be developing and giving ourselves options in case something happens to said Rookie or in a year or two its not working out.  Best case scenario they both pan out and we can flip Corral for some picks.

I just don't understand how people have watched the NFL and think for a second Corral is someone we are heavily factoring in for our future decisions.  He's, unfortunately for him, not going to be someone we are worried about when making roster decisions this offseason.  He should have his chances and I like him enough to think hes got a chance to stick but right now hes facing a harsh reality of the NFL and he's going to have a significant challenge in front of him.  It sucks but its just the truth

That's fair.

I just wouldn't count him out just yet. His history has proven that he's not one to be counted out. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Give me the Eagles’ OC as our new coach and Minshew as the vet backup that’s familiar with the new coach. Minshew can play until Stroud is ready. Corral can be QB3 as the Eagles have 3 active QBs on the roster.

Also the new OC isn’t going to split reps with his top pick and Corral. Is he going to split them with his practice squad QB as well? The offense will be catered to our top pick and he will probably get a bulk of the reps.

This is the way.

Id done my homework and Shane Steichen is now my personal front runner. Modern QB success along with giving rivers great late years. iggles O is crushing it, pick out about good stat and they are around 8th(or better). Im super old school about "fads", hiring these young O minds has bared enough fruit and no longer a fad. Minshew would be a bonus, brace thy self................. If hes the answer and panthers get just average-decent QB play it shouldnt be a 3-7 years rebuild......my thoughts about this season would transfer to 23- weak nfc south, brady, terrible coaching etc etc... and BOOM panthers are right there competing for a playoffs in year one *if steichen is a wizard and get decent QB play, the D should be good enough. He keeps Tabor, campey, _____ and hits on the strength coach and DC. Its the way, my friend!

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

This is the way.

Id done my homework and Shane Steichen is now my personal front runner. Modern QB success along with giving rivers great late years. iggles O is crushing it, pick out about good stat and they are around 8th(or better). Im super old school about "fads", hiring these young O minds has bared enough fruit and no longer a fad. Minshew would be a bonus, brace thy self................. If hes the answer and panthers get just average-decent QB play it shouldnt be a 3-7 years rebuild......my thoughts about this season would transfer to 23- weak nfc south, brady, terrible coaching etc etc... and BOOM panthers are right there competing for a playoffs in year one *if steichen is a wizard and get decent QB play, the D should be good enough. He keeps Tabor, campey, _____ and hits on the strength coach and DC. Its the way, my friend!

He is probably my favorite candidate too. He has Hurts playing well in a system made for him. 
I think it’s a simple 2 year rebuild. Year 1 is ditching the bloated contracts, eating the dead money, hiring a young offensive minded coach, then drafting a young QB to develop. We have extra picks now to add some young pieces and in 2024 we have a ton of cap space to complete our roster and get ready to make a run.