• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Players hoping to help Wilks win the full time job

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, The Huddler said:

maybe im a pos fan but all this winning hoopla is just making me roll my eyes. 

I just want a top pick so we can get a franchise QB to build on then we can win as many games as we want. Im tired of being in the middle because of moral victories.  smh

We have to adjust our mindset to thinking we’re going to have to move up in the draft to get our Patty Mahomes trying to loose our way to the top doesn’t seem to pan out. We have picks let’s be prepared to trade some to get who we really covet, going from 9 to 5 to grab Hooker per day is probably our best option. These aren’t moral victories they’re real victories for players who’ve trained their whole life to do what they’re doing they want to win every game possible we can never downplay that. And to think you could tank with what 10-11 games outta 17 left sounds as dumb as I’ve ever heard.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

I'd be good with making Wilks our DC (and team motivator), but we need an offensive-oriented head coach. Clearly the players respect and listen to Wilks based off of their effort from last Sunday.

Hopefully Wilks would be good with staying on as DC, since I don't see any other team being interested in hiring him as head coach.

I definitely think keeping Wilks around as part of the coaching staff should be an option, depending on how he feels.

6 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

We'll see what happens with Wilks, but the fact that he's got a defensive background shouldn't be counted as a strike against him. 

I agree with that in general, and as mentioned above sometimes doing what everyone else is doing isn't always the right thing to do.

Admittedly though, it's hard to deny where the league is headed.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's possible, but my read on it is they just didn't trust him.

To be brutally honest, if you've seen his past tape, there's reason to think that way.

This week though, they seemed to have an attitude of "Aaaah, what the hell...whadda we get to lose?" 😄

Good point, but it does beg the question, "Does McAdoo get a pass for his games under Rhule's tenure?" Everyone else in the organization seems to be.

He builds an offense, and gets a different QB thrown in his lap last minute. Wilks was asked about the offensive game plan against the Rams at halftime, specifically asking about the lack of downfield throws and Wilks' answer was essentially "We're staying the course" (which gave me a very Rivera vibe)

So I'm kind of wondering is McAdoo as bad as advertised or just delivering what his bosses ordered.

Edited by Khaki Lackey

All of these young OC type guys aren't working out and most of them have weak defenses. Other than the Philly OC, all of the candidates have had games this year where good defenses have made them struggle and crapped all over the genius game planning. It has to do with the personnel anyways. Norv Turner during his tenure as Dallas OC once said "people act like we're some kind of geniuses when we are just doing the obvious thing until they stop it", which at the time was feeding Emmitt. Look at Leftwich 2-3 years ago and look at him now.  You need a good leader plain and simple, because sometimes the game plan is going to fail. I just find it hilarious how much hate there was for Dorsey here as a QB coach and people are literally wanting him to return as a HC. That is the reason Flores is suing the NFL. Frankly these guys haven't earned their shot and are getting jobs they don't deserve. I remember when the Browns hired Chudzinski and thought man he's not some kind of guru, he just had Cam and a lot of pieces. 

• Flames 1

13 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Good point, but it does beg the question, "Does McAdoo get a pass for his games under Rhule's tenure?" Everyone else in the organization seems to be.

He builds an offense, and gets a different QB thrown in his lap last minute. Wilks was asked about the offensive game plan against the Rams at halftime, specifically asking about the lack of downfield throws and Wilks' answer was essentially "We're staying the course" (which gave me a very Rivera vibe)

So I'm kind of wondering is McAdoo as bad as advertised or just delivering what his bosses ordered.

If he keeps calling games like he did the last one, he probably does.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's a lot of ways to look at it.

Sometimes there's pretty good benefit to be found in not doing what everyone else is doing. In the NFL, it can mean that other teams who've loaded up to battle against the most common type of scheme don't necessarily have what it takes to deal with you.

On the flipside, it's definitely true that more and better offense is where the league is headed. You've got to be able to keep up with that, and league rules have made that increasingly difficult for defensive coaches to do.

Tough decision...

I feel confident that Wilks would bring in his own, trusted OC to completely oversee the offense and call plays if he were to win the permanent gig.  Only problem is, with those kind of arrangements, if you have any degree of success, you're never going to be able to keep the same OC in place for very long at all.

1 hour ago, 4Corners said:

Always a bit skeptical of interim HC success. Ra-ra guy playing with a lot of house money and almost no expectations. I like Wilkes a lot but I certainly would prefer a younger, progressice offensive mind. 

Dude, if the man wins I don't care if he's old as dirt. 

21 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I feel confident that Wilks would bring in his own, trusted OC to completely oversee the offense and call plays if he were to win the permanent gig.  Only problem is, with those kind of arrangements, if you have any degree of success, you're never going to be able to keep the same OC in place for very long at all.

I can't help but wonder how Panther fans would react if he brought Rob Chudzinski back.

There's plenty of working history between those two.

1 hour ago, trucpfan said:

We have to adjust our mindset to thinking we’re going to have to move up in the draft to get our Patty Mahomes trying to loose our way to the top doesn’t seem to pan out. We have picks let’s be prepared to trade some to get who we really covet, going from 9 to 5 to grab Hooker per day is probably our best option. These aren’t moral victories they’re real victories for players who’ve trained their whole life to do what they’re doing they want to win every game possible we can never downplay that. And to think you could tank with what 10-11 games outta 17 left sounds as dumb as I’ve ever heard.

There is no P.M at the first pick. Not in any drafts that I have seen. Guy is at true mutant.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I can't help but wonder how Panther fans would react if he brought Rob Chudzinski back.

There's plenty of working history between those two.

I personally would love it.  Chad is probably my favorite OC we've ever had.  I know many of us, myself included, grew frustrated with him in his second year here because it felt like he was auditioning for a HC job more than focusing on the job at hand, but even so, his offenses had rhythm, were creative, effective, and fun to watch.  I'm still really surprised he isn't currently in a playcalling capacity of any kind...  dumbfounded actually.

• Pie 1