• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports "some" within the Panthers organization want Sam Darnold to get a chance to start

TheSpecialJuan

6 minutes ago, Mage said:

I seriously doubt the Panthers bring back any of them, especially with a new HC

Other options are Dalton, Kyle Allen, Minshew, maybe Daniel Jones, Case Keenum...Others are either worse or probably sticking with their current teams. The solid vet QB mentor is becoming a thing of the past  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/?ref=trending-pages

*shrug* Can't lie I'd choose him to start just to see what he's like behind what our OLine has improved into plus it has the added benefit that it stalls Baker from reaching the conditions of our trade. I think it was we give a 5th round pick unless Baker plays 70% or more of the snaps and if he does we give up a 4th rounder instead.

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, Purrnicious said:

Are people really that against seeing him? Coming into the season i thought it was a sure thing Baker would be at least a slight improvement over Sam. But we have seen such bad play from Baker i don't know how anyone can honestly say Sam has no chance to be better. If Baker looks the same vs Baltimore as he did earlier in the season i don't have any complaints about giving Sam a shot. 

Now if Corrall was healthy you throw them all out and see what he's got the rest of the way. But with Corrall and PJ hurt I don't see how anyone can feel confident in ranking Baker over Sam, or vice versa. 

Yeah I don't get why anyone would oppose this. They won't be on the team next year as things stand and starting Baker comes with a cost. Just go with the hot hand and let them fight for it.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I want Sam to start just to watch this place melt down.  Its ridiculous the amount of mindless hatred the man gets. 

I have zero belief he will look good but why wouldn't we given the situation? It is the only thing we can do the rest of the year unless one can make a case to keep the gig until January. 

It is still a weird time for people in house to start pounding the table for Sam to have another chance given that Baker is about to have his this week and we could still end up seeing Sam anyways. The stress of the situation is getting to a lot of people and not just around this place. 

Just now, Waldo said:

I have zero belief he will look good but why wouldn't we given the situation? It is the only thing we can do the rest of the year unless one can make a case to keep the gig until January. 

It is still a weird time for people in house to start pounding the table for Sam to have another chance given that Baker is about to have his this week and we could still end up seeing Sam anyways. The stress of the situation is getting to a lot of people and not just around this place. 

Well they do need a backup and they have 3 to choose from. So why not see if one of them has something to work with? Yes they all have a shelf life but so does every backup in the league. It's a business decision and I agree with it whether the huddle can take it or not. It told you all the everyone is auditioning for next year and that includes the FO.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Other options are Dalton, Kyle Allen, Minshew, maybe Daniel Jones, Case Keenum...Others are either worse or probably sticking with their current teams. The solid vet QB mentor is becoming a thing of the past  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/?ref=trending-pages

I would go with Keenum without a doubt.  If not him then Dalton.  They both seem like good vets to give input and know their role

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Well they do need a backup and they have 3 to choose from. So why not see if one of them has something to work with? Yes they all have a shelf life but so does every backup in the league. It's a business decision and I agree with it whether the huddle can take it or not. It told you all the everyone is auditioning for next year and that includes the FO.

I get the fans, they want their guy to be the one to win the spot. I don't know why they still have a guy after what we have all seen but whatever, SSDD.

Coming from within the organization is concerning to me. Coaches friction or front office people that are tied to personel moves? Wilks was critical of Snow and that worked real well for him so are other people doing the same now? Having an internal knife fight isn't going to make the mess smaller to clean up at the end of the year. This is just an odd week to throw out a 'Don't forget about Sam' message whenBaker is getting his after subbing in well as a backup...what we both agree we should be evaluating these 3 on the rest of the year.

If Baker looks bad Sunday then we should definitely let Darnold try the next week.  There is no reason not to.  Let's see how he does behind this offensive line with a different coach.  At worst he is who we thought he was and Baker plays less snaps securing our pick to not be traded.

1 minute ago, ichigo1057 said:

Draft pick in my case. Anybody except Baker starting makes it where we only give up a 5th round pick for him. If he plays and reaches I believe 70% of the snaps we give up a 4th instead.

Okay, so let me ask this-

Which is of more consequence- the draft pick the Panthers will give up for Mayfield or the draft slot the Panthers get based on the team's performance?