• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Darnold plays well,do they keep him around?

Jmac

13 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Bouncing back from lisfranc is really my only concern with him. That poo can end careers. He’s young so hopefully that plays to his advantage. 

It’s so weird we had two QB’s get the same injury against the same team, in preseason. 

Sometimes it makes you think an injury isn't a fluke but actually owed to something they were doing training wise... But probably just a fluke...

11 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

If I thought he'd really had a realistic shot I'd be much harsher on him.

And I wouldn't be so supportive.  

The blame goes on Fhule.  It was the worst coaching I've ever seen with a 3rd round pick.  Had he been a 7th rounder or a UDFA I could have understood the lack of attention.  We traded away 2023 draft capital for him.  We saw something in him to make that trade.  Fhule had his mind set on Mayfield and made a hoax of the "competition" between Baker and Sam.  Clearly, Corral was never going to be the QB Fhule was going to go into 2023 with.  Clearly

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Corral is a project nothing more nothing less. Sure he could become something but he has the deck stacked against him. I’d very much like to not go into next season having a low percentage play at the position as our only young rookie deal QB 

I have no idea why other posters simply can’t  understand this.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

14 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I have no idea why other posters simply can’t  understand this.  

Name me one person that has said we won't draft a QB.  I know I have never said we wouldn't draft a QB.  Not once.  I have only contended that Corral would compete for the job.

It's been you and others that total discount his chances.  I believe we will win more games and take us out of the Stroud and Young sweepstakes.   This will put us in a position to reach for a QB in round one or take another player of need.  We could trade down and select one later in round one and possibly pick up a 1st rounder next year.   I think there will be several good QBs in the first part of round 2.   Whoever we take will NOT be given the reins as the future starter.  He'll compete with Corral and whoever else is in the QB room.

Competition is what we'll have this coming spring.  

I have no idea why other posters simply can't understand this.

• Beer 2

16 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Name me one person that has said we won't draft a QB.  I know I have never said we wouldn't draft a QB.  Not once.  I have only contended that Corral would compete for the job.

It's been you and others that total discount his chances.  I believe we will win more games and take us out of the Stroud and Young sweepstakes.   This will put us in a position to reach for a QB in round one or take another player of need.  We could trade down and select one later in round one and possibly pick up a 1st rounder next year.   I think there will be several good QBs in the first part of round 2.   Whoever we take will NOT be given the reins as the future starter.  He'll compete with Corral and whoever else is in the QB room.

Competition is what we'll have this coming spring.  

I have no idea why other posters simply can't understand this.

I have no problem with a 3 man competition like the Steelers had last camp, pretty much equal reps in practice for the most part. I had a problem with our 4 qb training camp nightmare that made zero sense to anyone from day one. They weren't even putting Darnold and Baker behind the same 1st string offense to even really compare them equally, it was fuging idiotic. Nevermind having PJ and Corral fighting for scraps when you know without the injuries PJ was probably getting cut and Corral needed more reps as a rookie

• Pie 2

I think it is too early to close the book of Darnold.  He has played 1 game so far. But if we win several of these next games and Darnold manages the games well, he would be someone I would be talking contract terms with. Not too long and more incentive based than guaranteed. But if we can make some noise even in a crappy division we need a starter going into next year and a veteran presence at QB even if we draft another one. Darnold would be on a win streak and Wilks will have coached us to a winning record since he took over.  I am interested to see if we can attract better coaches and players.......

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1