• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Wilks needs to do to win the Job?

Doc Holiday

I think it just depends on how the team looks. The next 4 games are against pretty bad teams with maybe the Lions being decent. If he crushes terrible teams like the Saints and loses to mid teams like the Lions and get crushed by good teams like the Bengals and whoever we play IF we make the playoffs then I don’t think he is a definite. 
It will be interesting to see how we play the Steelers who are having a pretty bad year. They still tend to hang around with good teams. I’m not sure this weekend is a win, but what do I know?

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I think it just depends on how the team looks. The next 4 games are against pretty bad teams with maybe the Lions being decent. If he crushes terrible teams like the Saints and loses to mid teams like the Lions and get crushed by good teams like the Bengals and whoever we play IF we make the playoffs then I don’t think he is a definite. 
It will be interesting to see how we play the Steelers who are having a pretty bad year. They still tend to hang around with good teams. I’m not sure this weekend is a win, but what do I know?

Steelers have the second or third worst online in football and a rookie QB. Our defense should shut them down easy. As long as we don’t fall into the trap of playing down to your competition. 

About Wilkes:  I like the guy.  He seems to have the demeanor and I am guessing, his year in Arizona taught him a lot.  Although he is a defensive coach, the offense has been better and the defense has been pretty dominant.  If we win 7 or 8 games, he will be getting the full time gig.

Become an offensively minded coach from another coaching tree.

I don't think he can do enough to justify keeping him. If the new coach wants to interview him them great. If not then it looks like he has done enough to juatify staying in the NFL after this year.

8 hours ago, Mage said:

Literally nobody is saying that.  But again, if you seriously think this is a sustainable method of winning vs quality teams, then I have a bridge to sell you.

There is a reason this offense has folded against any semi-decent defense it has played, but continue to tell me how I'm wrong.  Blame it on whatever you want but the fact is 24th in the league in PPG is not good.  If you think it is, then there is nothing more to discuss.  How many teams can you name with a winning record in the last 3 years that finished 24th or worse in scoring, which is where the Panthers rank since Wilks took over?  

It ain't about running the ball.  It ain't about passing the ball (but you absolutely have to do better than 200 yards per game).  It is about putting up points, which we don't do very well.  But prove me wrong if you disagree.  Name me some winning teams that finished 24th or worse. 

Titans are 27th this year, but they also have a -35 point differential (terrible, just like the Panthers -30) and have feasted on a god awful AFC South (jeez... who does that remind you of?)

This board really loves to pretend that having a rushing based offense leads to Super Bowl wins and that throwing the football is just a meme. Of course thats why Ladanian Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson (the two best RBs in the 21st century) are ringless and Drew Brees has a ring. 

Edited by Sean Payton's Vicodin

51 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Steelers are also the only team remaining, except maybe the Bucs, that have a good rush defense. 
Steelers are a weird game. Our offense doesn't match up well it’s their defense but our defense matches up well with their offense. 
I predict another low scoring affair. 

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Playoffs for us are pretty much set. We’d be the last division winner and play the top WC, which is Dallas. With 2 game differences and 4 games left, it’s almost a given we’d play Dallas. Philly plays Dallas but they already beat them and their other 3 games are easy. If we beat Dallas, we’d likely have to go to Philly.

Trevon Diggs is licking his chops if he has to play Darnold again. 

9 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Trubiusky will most likley draw the start. Pickett is in protocol.

Both aren’t good NFL QBs yet. We know what Mitch is and Pickett isn’t ready yet. I love Tomlin but he suffered from what Nagy did in Chicago last season. Got a QB early in the draft, gave all the important reps to some journeyman QB who should be a backup, and then threw the rookie into the fire anyway.