• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RIP Franco Harris

Mr. Scot

There's just something about that era of NFL and even sports in general that still just makes me smile. i guess it reminds me of when i was a little one, but still all these characters just made life more interesting. Franco was part of a team that was pretty legendary. Franco himself was pretty legendary. Him and Mean Joe Green and Lynn Swan, and John Stallworth, and Terry Bradshaw, and Jack Lambert....man that was some team. 

Thanks for the memories, Franco.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 2

My former pastor, an avid Steeler fan, sent me a text about Franco’s death this morning while I was eating breakfast. This was sad to hear, especially if you grew up watching football in the 1970s. I was a DALLAS fan back then, but THERE WAS NO BACK MORE FEARED by Cowboy fans back then Franco Harris.

All the great QBs seemed to wear #12 (Namath, Staubach, Griese, Bradshaw, and Stabler)

The great trinity of RBs wore #32 (Brown, Simpson, and Harris)

Harris is possibly the most underrated great back in NFL History despite winning 4 SBs and retiring #2 on the all time rushing list. Franco 6’2/230 lbs but had the agility of a HB and played his best in big games.

This is a great highlight reel  Franco was awesome.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, rayzor said:

There's just something about that era of NFL and even sports in general that still just makes me smile. i guess it reminds me of when i was a little one, but still all these characters just made life more interesting. Franco was part of a team that was pretty legendary. Franco himself was pretty legendary. Him and Mean Joe Green and Lynn Swan, and John Stallworth, and Terry Bradshaw, and Jack Lambert....man that was some team. 

Thanks for the memories, Franco.

I'm with you, @rayzor

The Steel Curtain was one of the best DLs in football history.  In fact, the only one I can think of that was in that same discussion was the Rams Fearsome Foursome.  For those of us that grew up watching them, we will always remember the names.

I remember LC Greenwood wearing yellow cleats in the early 70s, which was a big deal in those days.

Then, of course, there was Otis Sistrunk with the Raiders, the most famous alumnus from "the University of Mars."

RIP Franco.  He was not the fastest nor the flashiest, but he had a knack for the ball and could cut on a dime.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I'm with you, @rayzor

The Steel Curtain was one of the best DLs in football history.  In fact, the only one I can think of that was in that same discussion was the Rams Fearsome Foursome.  For those of us that grew up watching them, we will always remember the names.

I remember LC Greenwood wearing yellow cleats in the early 70s, which was a big deal in those days.

Then, of course, there was Otis Sistrunk with the Raiders, the most famous alumnus from "the University of Mars."

RIP Franco.  He was not the fastest nor the flashiest, but he had a knack for the ball and could cut on a dime.

Joe Greene once said "No one played better in the big game than Franco".

In the 70's Schultz, didn't seem like he always came through in the most crucial moments of the most crucial  games?

As I'm older than many here,  Franco's rookie year ( 1972 , the year of his Immaculate Reception ) was the start of the Steeler Dynasty.  There was Franco's Army , Gerela's Gorillas, etc.    Pittsburg was a perennial loser.  The year before they were 6-8 . Because America roots for underdogs, many jumped on the Steeler bandwagon.  And why not,  they were new and fun to watch. 

I was working in a regional department store, and there was a small 10" TV for sale in the mens department and many of was were standing there in amazement at the end of that game.  There was no ESPN etc.. So to see the reply took days LOL. 

May he rest in Peace

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

Gosh what a player. I remember watching him just tearing through the line and rumbling down the field. Never shied from contact and made use of every pad that a football player could stuff under their uniform. He and Rocky Blier were the original double trouble.

We lost one of the great ones, but at least we got to see him play and generations in the future will, too.

• Beer 2

9 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I remember watching him just tearing through the line and rumbling down the field. Never shied from contact and made use of every pad that a football player could stuff under their uniform.

Franco could juke you, run by you, and as you pointed out...he'd run over you of he had too.

I couldn't help but smile when I read your comment about the pads. Two days ago a thought popped into my head to go to YouTube and watch Franco Harris highlights. I watched them at work on Monday. Two things stood out in the video, his overall ability as a runner...and those huge thigh pads that came up over the top of his pants. 😁 

Two days after I watched the highlight reel I find out that he's dead. Sad news.

• Beer 2