• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Mcadoo developing Darnold??

WOW!!

49 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

When that reality check hits real soon ONCE AGAIN...a lot of posters are gonna disappear for a while. We know how this works.

Well that's what happens WHEN THE OFFSEASON STARTS, you know.  🙄

43 minutes ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

I don't think McAdoo is developing Darnold. I think Wilks just has the balls to tell McAdoo to protect the Panthers from Darnold. How do you stop Darnold from making mistakes? Give me as few touches as possible. 

This ground and pound game plan is good for a team with a weak QB but it won't be successful in the playoffs against better competition. We won't win a shoot out where we have to play from behind, and opposing teams just need to stop our run game to make us one dimensional. Look at the Pittsburgh game as an example. 

okay I'm no longer that annoying fanboy of Sam but I must say that this is really a bad take if you actually believe that is the plan and not "We're going to run the ball because we have the personnel to do it".   smh.

Edited by glenwo2

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We are completely de-emphasizing the pass game. Darnold is throwing the ball less than 25 times per game in the post-Rhule era. We're running a 1970s offense. Most of the passes that we do make are behind or near the LOS with a few longer shots sprinkled in. You can't beat playoff teams with this type of offense.

It’s fun when it works but at some point you have to trust your qb to open things up.   

10 hours ago, OldhamA said:

If you're asking your QB to pass more when you're running for over 300 yards then you're a moronic OC.

Since coming off IR Darnold has done everything asked of him to a high level.

I genuinely don't know what more some fans want - the bar is, apparently 'subterranean' for him... so maybe enjoy the fact that he's thrown for 800 yards and scored 6 TDs without a single turnover in the last 4 games, eh? Or does the hatred for him run so deep that certain fans can't even be pleasantly surprised at his ability to manage games and play within the confines of the system?

That’s fine for now but it’s a low ceiling in the grand scheme of things.  

9 hours ago, WOW!! said:

So the fug what?? What year was Jake in before he developed into a starter?? Geno Smith is in year 8 of his career and year 3 of his development with Pete.. Some QB’s take a different path instead of being awesome from the gate.. But you still missed the point in this thread which is really not about Darnold but more about Mcadoo coming up with something that actually makes this dude look competent and confident something he hasn’t been since being on this team..

If the point of the thread is a thinly veiled attempt to want to keep both darnold and mcadoo then our fans have truly lost their minds.   We have to do better in the 2023 version of the nfl.   Running the football is fun as hell when it works ie yesterday but you are at a complete disadvantage when you get into a shootout.  And that happens more times then not with all of the rules favoring wrs and qbs.  

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

I don't think McAdoo is developing Darnold. I think Wilks just has the balls to tell McAdoo to protect the Panthers from Darnold. How do you stop Darnold from making mistakes? Give me as few touches as possible. 

This ground and pound game plan is good for a team with a weak QB but it won't be successful in the playoffs against better competition. We won't win a shoot out where we have to play from behind, and opposing teams just need to stop our run game to make us one dimensional. Look at the Pittsburgh game as an example. 

Protect the Panthers from Darnold by cutting Mayfield and benching Walker.

Seems legit. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

When that reality check hits real soon ONCE AGAIN...a lot of posters are gonna disappear for a while. We know how this works.

Nah, we know if they lose some of you will be here to crow about how bad this team is and that you were right that we should have been tanking to get so and so.

• Beer 1

55 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Nah, we know if they lose some of you will be here to crow about how bad this team is and that you were right that we should have been tanking to get so and so.

No, because if we lose we'll still be getting a top 10 pick. If we win out and make the playoffs that's exciting.

But what we're not going to do is ignore the fact that the team isn't very good and we don't have a lot of quality wins to show for it (we're safely under .500 this season).

If we run the ball well and the defense makes stops we win.

I mean we're coming off a record breaking rushing day and you goofies are trying to talk about Sam Darnold turning us around.

But I know you don't actually watch the games.

Edited by Call Me James
  • The D 1

9 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

Yes, we did. Don't be a liar on Christmas.

last season at least made some sense since he was averaging like 40 throws a game and 300 yards passing thru the first 3 or 4 games, and you could make the argument he was free of his old terrible coaching.

He looks like he's becoming a perfectly fine backup but good god as fans we need to stop settling for perfectly fine backups as our starter.

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 1

9 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

last season at least made some sense since he was averaging like 40 throws a game and 300 yards passing thru the first 3 or 4 games, and you could make the argument he was free of his old terrible coaching.

He looks like he's becoming a perfectly fine backup but good god as fans we need to stop settling for perfectly fine backups as our starter.

i completely agree.

Last year it made sense to believe it was merely coaching and he turned it all around. But we struggled after that hot start.

I'm enjoying the wins and him being better than Baker/PJ, but that's not enough for me to even think about extending him as a starter.

He has time to prove me wrong, but a week after getting embarrassed by the Steelers I'm not here for the Mcadoo /Darnold narrative being pushed.

• Pie 2

Darnold haters refer to him as a 5th year QB. 

Darnold backers refer to him as a 25 year old QB. 

Interesting. Darnold’s career path had him developing in the NFL during his low twenties. A QB like Pickett is just getting started in the NFL at 24. Ask yourself if you would be satisfied with Pickett being our future QB if he’d taken over for Mayfield/Walker and performed the same as Darnold. I think most would be at minimum cautiously optimistic in that case. 

• Pie 1