• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MMQB: Breer on Wilks/potential OC candidate

*FreeFua*

26 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Have you watched him? He's garbage. There were signs with Josh Allen including his ability to actually hit those deep shots, off platform dart throws to a point, etc.

I've seen absolutely none of that from Richardson. It's akin to taking Zach Wilson for me. You see his potential and ignore the bad things. 

Yall wanna waste a first round pick on a project when we already have one in Corral, go ahead. I guess I'll ride but I'm going to bitch the whole way so you better turn the radio up.

Well that settles it then

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

Doing better then rhule should not be the benchmark for getting the job 

It's a red flag when considering next year, if people are still comparing Wilks to Rhule then it's not focused on who the best hire is for us moving forward. Wilks needs to be compared to the competition not the past failures. Hell it's hard to find any HC candidate that is worse than Rhule, Urban and Hackett come to mind and they had plenty of red flags themselves.

Go ahead and project to hire this QB coach as HC compared to Rhule lol. It's this guy and I already forgot his name. It's ridiculous. Rhule was never an NFL quality coach and I even doubt he is a top tier school HC either. He can be used to prop up most hires as a great hire lol. Leftwhich has looked bad this year and he looks great next to Rhule lol. 

Doesn't matter in the end, Tepper has his people and I have zero faith at this point in any of that group. Who in that group stood up and said there should be no year 3 for Rhule? Yeah that is a sobering thought when considering the next 2 months. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 2

38 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Doing better then rhule should not be the benchmark for getting the job 

I'm not involved in the hiring process nor do I set the criteria for choosing said candidates.

My comments were on Wilks performance under the same conditions as his predecessor.

I am not lobbying for any candidate one way or the other. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, frankw said:

In theory you would love for your new OC to have multiple years of calling plays but the Joe Brady failure has made some folks uneasy. I get that but it's important to put it in perspective and remember this offense is night day with the same players due to Rhule's ass backwards way of doing things and all the college scheme nonsense. We will have a number of options and we should weigh them all carefully. But it's equally as important we pinpoint who will develop our next QB.

Looking back, was Joe Brady really a failure?  Our offense was more productive that it was at the beginning of the season with less talent.  Rhule micro-managing everything, leaving when Brady is working in lock step with Cam - then firing him as he is game planning was a horsepoo move.

Someone with a philosophy like Greg Roman would be perfect.  You know Wilks will hire someone as an assistant who has experience so the OC could be progressive with an old head assisting him.  Pep Hamilton would be a great choice.  Heck Brian Johnson would be pretty cool if you could pair him with an experienced OC coach like Mike Shula.

26 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not involved in the hiring process nor do I set the criteria for choosing said candidates.

My comments were on Wilks performance under the same conditions as his predecessor.

I am not lobbying for any candidate one way or the other. 

Sorry wasn't directed at you per se just in general that shouldn't be the baseline for wilks

I think if you retain Wilkes you almost have to insist on prior OC experience. We’ll know very soon where that is headed. 

Which btw if I was sureI would hire Wilkes I’d use the Rooney interviews and the stated desire for an offensive minded coach as a cover for bringing in an OC candidate or two, knowing that I could beat about any counter offer he might get to stay. Gets ahead of that game and lets Wilkes hit the ground running because he is still the HC until he is relieved. Which might  not have to happen until the new HC hire is made.  But that’s unethical, right? 

Edited by stratocatter

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Sorry wasn't directed at you per se just in general that shouldn't be the baseline for wilks

I don't think anyone is suggesting it should be a baseline.  Had he been given the same opportunity to build the team his way, sure that's a different argument. 

My comments are about what he's been able to accomplish with someone else's mess. All the while not being able to have time to change anything other than the approach to practice and the games. All you can do is shuffle the players and staff around currently on the team.

That takes some good coaching to turn that crap around. Whether you want to admit it or not, whether you agree with the approach or not,  it is a fact that this team is playing above their weight class now that Wilks has taken over.

That's the point I'm trying to make here. The results of this season will be part of his resume going forward. He is doing well enough to get some serious interviews for HC around the league. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

42 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

17 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting it should be a baseline.  Had he been given the same opportunity to build the team his way, sure that's a different argument. 

My comments are about what he's been able to accomplish with someone else's mess. All the while not being able to have time to change anything other than the approach to practice and the games. All you can do is shuffle the players and staff around currently on the team.

That takes some good coaching to turn that crap around. Whether you want to admit it or not, whether you agree with the approach or not,  it is a fact that this team is playing above their weight class now that Wilks has taken over.

That's the point I'm trying to make here. The results of this season will be part of his resume going forward. He is doing well enough to get some serious interviews for HC around the league. 

And it would be his second stint at HC. He's learned some things and he has done this while allowing the OC to totally control the other side of the ball. People that don't want to take into account the things that Wilks has done this season flat out don't know football. I can see if you don't want him as HC, but certain people on this board don't even acknowledge the strides he has made with the same players. Rhule being the hot name for HC and given an insane contract were fine, but giving Wilks a shot is complete nonsense to many on here and social media too. That's why a derogatory, dismissive statement like "being better than Rhule shouldn't be the measuring stick for Wilks" should be addressed. Rhule is the kind of guy that gets hired over more seasoned, experienced, and better leaders of men constantly. They are given the keys to the kingdom over and over. For every McVay, there is a Hackett. Wilks has outperformed Rhule, Hackett, and many other coaches with the talent he has since getting the interim tag. And it matters, because people are wanting to bypass him to go hire yet another unproven, barely heard of OC who has had their share of hiccups in coaching. I'm with Snow, at least give the guy credit for what he has done with what was a jack ass festival before taking over.

• Flames 3

42 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

And it would be his second stint at HC. He's learned some things and he has done this while allowing the OC to totally control the other side of the ball. People that don't want to take into account the things that Wilks has done this season flat out don't know football. I can see if you don't want him as HC, but certain people on this board don't even acknowledge the strides he has made with the same players. Rhule being the hot name for HC and given an insane contract were fine, but giving Wilks a shot is complete nonsense to many on here and social media too. That's why a derogatory, dismissive statement like "being better than Rhule shouldn't be the measuring stick for Wilks" should be addressed. Rhule is the kind of guy that gets hired over more seasoned, experienced, and better leaders of men constantly. They are given the keys to the kingdom over and over. For every McVay, there is a Hackett. Wilks has outperformed Rhule, Hackett, and many other coaches with the talent he has since getting the interim tag. And it matters, because people are wanting to bypass him to go hire yet another unproven, barely heard of OC who has had their share of hiccups in coaching. I'm with Snow, at least give the guy credit for what he has done with what was a jack ass festival before taking over.

Again.  You simply comparing him to rhule

• The D 2

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Again.  You simply comparing him to rhule

Why get a potential 8 or 9 out of 10. When we can settle for a 5 or 6 because the previous coach was a 1 or 2. 
People really still don’t realize how bad Rhule was and how Wilks, just by proxy, is always gonna look better. 
Maybe, if he is hired, he will be the interim outlier and be a good HC. But stats do not lie that he will likely fall on his face once he has full control.  
No interim coach has ever made the Super Bowl and only a few have had very little playoff success. Most flame out and fail.