• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MMQB: Breer on Wilks/potential OC candidate

*FreeFua*

32 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think we'll probably find out. He'll get another shot.

I meant more so specifically with us that first year. We had the personnel to do what Brady wanted with two gloves at QB. OL was the glaring offensive weakness that year 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm honestly not sure if it's even fair to classify Joe Brady as a failure. I mean, just look at our offense now post-Rhule. Safe to say in retrospect that Rhule was probably heavily meddling in Brady's offense.

It also helps to have an actually NFL experienced person getting gameplans together every week.

Rhule's gameplans probably featured "need to maintain synergy" or "stay committed to The Process.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

Full context of Breer's answer below. Honestly, Johnson's name is just kind of a throw in at the end.

From Pete Crespo (@Petedelaware1): Hey Albert, Wilks has the @Panthers playing very competitive ball with limited production from the QB spot. Does he have a real chance to keep this job? Do you see them address the QB in FA since they are a team that can win now, or grab a new franchise QB in the draft?

Pete, I’m starting to think Wilks has a very legitimate chance to keep the Panthers’ job, build a staff of his own and get a real shot this time at being an NFL head coach. Owner David Tepper is well aware of the job that Wilks has done in uniting the locker room and building a real identity for the team—Carolina’s run game has emerged as one of the NFL’s best over the past two months, and did it after Christian McCaffrey was traded to the 49ers. And the defense was already really good.

The other thing here is the Panthers—when they fired Matt Rhule—resisted the urge to deal off veterans ahead of the trade deadline. They believed the coaching job there could be sold as one that, with core guys such as DE Brian Burns, CB Jaycee Horn, DT Derrick Brown, WR D.J. Moore and OT Ickey Ekwonu on hand, really is just a quarterback away.

So if you feel that way, and you see what Wilks is doing, having won three of four and four of seven, wouldn't it make sense to keep him? I personally think it would, and I’m starting to think Tepper is seriously considering it, too. I think with some tweaks—one could be bringing someone such as Eagles quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson aboard to help run the offense—Wilks could really have the Panthers hitting the ground running in 2023.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Full context of Breer's answer below. Honestly, Johnson's name is just kind of a throw in at the end.

From Pete Crespo (@Petedelaware1): Hey Albert, Wilks has the @Panthers playing very competitive ball with limited production from the QB spot. Does he have a real chance to keep this job? Do you see them address the QB in FA since they are a team that can win now, or grab a new franchise QB in the draft?

Pete, I’m starting to think Wilks has a very legitimate chance to keep the Panthers’ job, build a staff of his own and get a real shot this time at being an NFL head coach. Owner David Tepper is well aware of the job that Wilks has done in uniting the locker room and building a real identity for the team—Carolina’s run game has emerged as one of the NFL’s best over the past two months, and did it after Christian McCaffrey was traded to the 49ers. And the defense was already really good.

The other thing here is the Panthers—when they fired Matt Rhule—resisted the urge to deal off veterans ahead of the trade deadline. They believed the coaching job there could be sold as one that, with core guys such as DE Brian Burns, CB Jaycee Horn, DT Derrick Brown, WR D.J. Moore and OT Ickey Ekwonu on hand, really is just a quarterback away.

So if you feel that way, and you see what Wilks is doing, having won three of four and four of seven, wouldn't it make sense to keep him? I personally think it would, and I’m starting to think Tepper is seriously considering it, too. I think with some tweaks—one could be bringing someone such as Eagles quarterbacks coach Brian Johnson aboard to help run the offense—Wilks could really have the Panthers hitting the ground running in 2023.

Yeah that was just spittballing a name.

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah that was just spittballing a name.

That's all you are going to get at this point in the season. 

The only clue you may get in the offseason is how long they wait to do the interviews.  If they are going after a coach on a team in the playoffs they will wait to interview them when the playoff rules allow it. If its Wilks you will know before the playoffs are over most likely. 

The coordinators will follow the same timeline if it's Wilks who gets the job,  unless he stands pat with who he had now. 

• Beer 4

6 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Well that settles it then

Have you watched him? He's garbage. There were signs with Josh Allen including his ability to actually hit those deep shots, off platform dart throws to a point, etc.

I've seen absolutely none of that from Richardson. It's akin to taking Zach Wilson for me. You see his potential and ignore the bad things. 

Yall wanna waste a first round pick on a project when we already have one in Corral, go ahead. I guess I'll ride but I'm going to bitch the whole way so you better turn the radio up.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, TLGPanthersFan said:

I cannot get rid of the feeling hiring Wilks is gonna be a HUGE mistake. 

Mistake? No. He will improve the competitiveness of this team. He's already done that in short order.

Will it get us over the top to a SB? Who knows? You have to take a chance on someone. 

• Beer 3

19 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

If we draft Anthony Richardson for anything other than a TE conversion I quit.

Don't be so dramatic. We're going to take a swing and odds are we may have to do it again. Even a quarterback prospect you may be personally in love with could be a bust nobody knows anything for sure.

• The D 1