• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So the Titans giving up on Malik Willis already?

GoobyPls

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I haven’t seen him at all but I know the look. I watched the entire Jags and Jets game and you could see the Grand Canyon between Wilson and Lawrence and even Wilson and the PS guy. Wilson just didn’t have IT and it was obvious. That’s one reason I’m not a Corral fan at all, because he had that same look in preseason. I know he had way less reps but he just didn’t have the poise and pocket sense. Some people in here think he’s our future but we better not put our eggs in that basket. 

I knew that someone was going to make the comparison, but I'm a little surprised it's you. 

I don't think that it's generally smart to have all your eggs in one basket, but I'm also not going to compare apples to oranges either. Just saying. 

35 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Seven games (three starts), 42.8 passer rating, 50.8 completion percentage, zero TDs, 3 INTs, 4.5 yards per completion, 17 is his long, zero 100 yard games and a 12.1 QBR...That's rough to conceive from a guy on any level of football. 

Looks terrible.  1 of those starts he only had 4 passing attempts.  The staff knows he isn't ready and thought they could squeak by using just Henry because they had some success doing that in his start vs the Chiefs (lost in OT), but obviously that wasn't sustainable long term...

Willis might fail. Chances are more likely that he will fail (which means not being a long term starter) than making it. 

Same goes for Corral, who I’m documented as liking a lot. That’s just the way it is. Most guys don’t make it as capable long term starters. 

But it’s too early for Willis who was clearly a raw athlete. And it’s even earlier for Corral who played less than a game of preseason. 

You can take the route of calling every rookie QB terrible, and statistically you will be correct more often, but it won’t be from any special insight or evaluation ability, but rather just probability. 

It’s just way too fuging early. Gotta have some patience. 

• Pie 3

I just don't get the Corral hate. Or the Willis hate, frankly.  Both were drafted as projects.  I like our project much better than Willis simply on the fact that Corral is a leader on the field and demonstrated that aspect of his game many times in college.  But still too early for titan fans to give up on Willis, imo.

Corral got to play in part of two preseason games on a team set up and orchestrated by Matt Rhule and spent a lot of time running for his life before his injury.

I get giving up on Zach Wilson because of his attitude and inability to lead an offense.  The fact he was drafted #2 overall sucks for them but they are close enough to see just how bad that aspect of his game has been demonstrated.  

I still like the Corral pick and expect him to ball out next year and push whoever we bring in.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

16 minutes ago, RenoCarolina said:

I just don't get the Corral hate. Or the Willis hate, frankly.  Both were drafted as projects.  I like our project much better than Willis simply on the fact that Corral is a leader on the field and demonstrated that aspect of his game many times in college.  But still too early for titan fans to give up on Willis, imo.

Corral got to play in part of two preseason games on a team set up and orchestrated by Matt Rhule and spent a lot of time running for his life before his injury.

I get giving up on Zach Wilson because of his attitude and inability to lead an offense.  The fact he was drafted #2 overall sucks for them but they are close enough to see just how bad that aspect of his game has been demonstrated.  

I still like the Corral pick and expect him to ball out next year and push whoever we bring in.

Does anyone hate Corral?? I think there are people who are high on him and people who think the odds are against him. Getting drafted in the 3rd and going on IR plus a new staff makes it hard for the staff to bank on him as a legit option going forward. 

• Pie 2

Way too early to close the book on Willis. This is chapter 2. He was always an athletic talented guy who was a project with a potential high ceiling but also bust possibility which is why he dropped. He is on a  cheap rookie contract and worth developing.  You just don't want to.put all your eggs in that basket at this point. Kind of like us and Corral.

• Pie 2

20 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Does anyone hate Corral?? I think there are people who are high on him and people who think the odds are against him. Getting drafted in the 3rd and going on IR plus a new staff makes it hard for the staff to bank on him as a legit option going forward. 

By "hate" I am referring to those who have given up on his potential.  Not personal hatred.

stbugs (who I almost always agree with on here) said in an earlier post  "That’s one reason I’m not a Corral fan at all, because he had that same look in preseason."  So that prompted my take.  I'm sure a search would pull up much harsher and less thought out takes on Corral though.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, RenoCarolina said:

By "hate" I am referring to those who have given up on his potential.  Not personal hatred.

stbugs (who I almost always agree with on here) said in an earlier post  "That’s one reason I’m not a Corral fan at all, because he had that same look in preseason."  So that prompted my take.  I'm sure a search would pull up much harsher and less thought out takes on Corral though.

Yeah that’s fair. Writing off any player in such a small sample size seems premature to me..

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

27 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Way too early to close the book on Willis. This is chapter 2. He was always an athletic talented guy who was a project with a potential high ceiling but also bust possibility which is why he dropped. He is on a  cheap rookie contract and worth developing.  You just don't want to.put all your eggs in that basket at this point. Kind of like us and Corral.

Yeah especially if they get a new coaching staff.  They won't let a third round pick who needs to develop picked by another coach affect their QB decisions going forward.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

This time last year and throughout the draft process, there were a bunch of folks hyping him as a 1st rounder here and around the net........ Think we can answer why he wasn't a 1st rounder pretty conclusively now. Can he read a D, hell no. Accurate, hell no. I doubt he is athletically superior compared to NFL guys to skate by like he did at liberty. Can a good coach get more out of him now, maybe but he's really limited right now. 

Maybe he develops, maybe he doesn't, but he had 0 business as a 1st as he is lightyears away from being a spot starter or more than a gimmick player. Even with the great king Henry and that monstrous run game, he hasn't been even a good game manager. He was a lotto ticket with low odds, but like a lotto ticket, if he pans out at QB you got  low cost for a high return player. If not it was, by NFL standards, a low entry cost you burned.

MC is our lotto ticket. Likely doesn't pan out, but buying them in the 3rd or later is fine. Even if they are a good backup, backups make good $ in today's game. So a rookie contract for a backup QB isn't a bad thing to have. See Tyrod Taylor, Jacoby brisset, teddy Bridgewater, and cheapy Chase Daniels contracts for backup comparison. I'm sure there are others for less, but vets there take up a good chunk for well a backup break in case of emergency type.player.

A sub 700k contract for a guy that's normally in the 3-8 range (only a good backup to spot starter or bad starter $) isn't bad economics. That's the hope teams have after the 1st 2 rounds, finding cheap backups and glimmer of hope good starters.

• Beer 1