• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Sam Darnold play himself into becoming the 2023 starter?

Verge

16 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats a bit disingenuous and you know it

Agreed. So is describing everything around him as unsustainable. 

Our OL play only seems unsustainable bc we’re comparing it to the atrocities we trotted out in previous years. No one would trade assets for our current crop of RBs, but their production has been excellent. 

I can make the argument that Sam’s receiving options are in the bottom 5 in the league. That doesn’t seem to be considered when discussing our heavy reliance on the run.

Not to mention, our running game was non-existent vs Pittsburgh. Sam threw for 225, 1TD and no INT. Not enough to win, but that’s average QB play even when things around him were going bad. 

Edited by ECHornet
  • Pie 4

That is a very difficult question.  The main issue with QBs is going to be coaching/play calling.  You need a coach and/or coaches to make it work for them.  If a guy has talent but poor coaching, they will struggle.  Good coaching can make anyone look great (cough SF!).  The guys who can play well no matter what are extremely rare and the outliers.  

Who is going to be the coach next year?  What offensive changes are going to happen?  Those need to be figured out along with these last two games.

5 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

No Sam is not playing his way into a starter role in 23. Wilks has already stated the QB situation needs to be fixed so I’m assuming he doesn’t want Sam as his #1 if he gets the HC job.

That should certainly make some people here happy. 

Edited by glenwo2

12 minutes ago, djp14 said:

Depending on the next couple of games, I could be good with Darnold on a short, cheap deal, and seeing what we've got in Corral. 

Sam's ceiling is Ryan Tannehill.

The top rated QB's will probably be gone when the Panthers draft in the 1st rd. unless they give up draft choices to move down and this team still has to many needs besides QB to do that.

1 hour ago, ECHornet said:

I understand your hesitancy, but what makes it tougher is Darnold's youth. If we drafted one of the older QBs in this draft who are right at Darnold's age, most would be ecstatic if they provided the steady performances of Darnold's last five games. 

The toughest thing to accept is we may not know if it's an outlier or the development of a young QB by the end of this year. That's why a short, Trubisky-esque contract might be the play.

He has five years of NFL experience and has conclusively shown he isn't a starting caliber NFL QB. It's rare that a bust gets as many opportunities as Sam Darnold, especially in the modern NFL.

He isn't going to suddenly become a good player in the NFL. It's unfortunate but that is what you get chasing potential sometimes. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He has five years of NFL experience and has conclusively shown he isn't a starting caliber NFL QB. It's rare that a bust gets as many opportunities as Sam Darnold, especially in the modern NFL.

He isn't going to suddenly become a good player in the NFL. It's unfortunate but that is what you get chasing potential sometimes. 

This is a comfortable take once you completely ignore that he’s been a “good player in the NFL” this season. That’s what has made this decision tricky. If Darnold is held back a couple years in high school or gets COVID years in college, this would have been a nice rookie year for him. You point to his years in the NFL as a negative, when really he’s developing on the biggest stage while other guys his age were still playing college ball. 

I’m not completely sold yet, but he has brought me back from ‘no longer under consideration.’

• Pie 2